Thread: Possible to activate multiple Project Fi Sims with one nexus 6?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Possible to activate multiple Project Fi Sims with one nexus 6?

I would like to switch my family of 4 to Project Fi for some overseas travel. It is widely reported that a Project Fi Sim will work on the T-mo network in most unlocked GSM phones after the Project Fi sim has been activated in an approved phone. I understand there are some issues in non-approved phones with mms not working, not being able to switch between T-mo, sprint, us cell, etc. That doesn't matter to me.

The tricky part is I don't want to buy 4 approved phones, just one, to activate the Project Fi sim cards. Before you answer, "it can't be done, the Project Fi approved phone is locked to the Sim," here's some information I got from a member on another forum:

". . .each account needs an IMEI. After you activate with a fi compatible phone, you SHOULD be able to change the imei online. I was able to. That was Months ago. So the process went like this...

Sim Card 1 into compatible “activation phone”, activate the sim. Move that sim into the final phone (my situation ended up being an iPhone) and then go on line and update your line to have that IMEI. Once the IMEI is updated... Sim 2 in the activation phone and repeat."

My question, can you currently change the IMEI of the phone on your Project Fi account on-line to a non-project Fi approved phone after activation so the project Fi approved phone could be used to activate another Project Fi sim card? Since the information above is from several months ago, I'm wondering if it still works?

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, s9+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    It cannot be done. As soon as you go to activate the second Fi line in the one phone, it will refuse to do it (or will deactivate the first one, not sure which). You can only have one active Fi SIM per approved phone.

What you can do is have one Fi line and the rest data SIMs. The other lines will need to use Google Voice or some other VOIP solution. If you do not care about voice/text then its perfect (e.g. using FB messenger, etc).
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    The Moto x4 deal was a good way to get approved devices cheaply. Can always sell them off if you don't like them.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    It cannot be done. As soon as you go to activate the second Fi line in the one phone, it will refuse to do it (or will deactivate the first one, not sure which). You can only have one active Fi SIM per approved phone.

What you can do is have one Fi line and the rest data SIMs. The other lines will need to use Google Voice or some other VOIP solution. If you do not care about voice/text then its perfect (e.g. using FB messenger, etc).
    This sounds like a great idea for slohasley's situation!