Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile roaming w/ merger announcement

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile roaming w/ merger announcement

It was announced during the conference call that T-Mobile roaming would become active immediately and would last for 4 years even if the merger fails. Has anyone noticed T-Mobile roaming yet?

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teedawgg View Post
    It was announced during the conference call that T-Mobile roaming would become active immediately and would last for 4 years even if the merger fails. Has anyone noticed T-Mobile roaming yet?
    On a lark I tried to manually connect to it today, no go. Also was in a store that is a total Sprint dead zone with a T-Mo site outside... 1x as Verizon as usual inside.

Have they released any more specifics on this? This could be very helpful, especially if it's in-market and will just kick over when there are dead spots.

a number of questions remain however; VoLTE only? If that's the case, it would only work in the few areas that Sprint has VoLTE set up to start... 3G/4G HSDPA? They could get voice off of it, but compatible phones would need PRL updates to kick down to GSM and scan rather than hit Verizon 1x or the other CDMA carriers first...

So yes, it sounds positive... but I'm not holding my breath til I more info comes out. It does look like they are planning on running dual-MNC's or the like so that when the merger does go final, they can just kick everyone onto the T-Mo network region by region with minimal drama. IIRC they did the same thing with Metro for phones that could support it?

N

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    I suspect this will roll out with the national launch of Sprint VoLTE next month. Then you'll just update the PRL.

Good time to make sure your phone has LTE Bands 2/4/5/12 (and 66, optionally). If you are in a Band 71 market, Galaxy S9 seems the only way to go.

The merger hasn't been approved - and until it does both companies must operate separately. There will be no combining of MNCs or anything like that unless/until the merger is approved.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When did Sprint announce a national VoLTE rollout for next month?

Either way they could just enable LTE data roaming like they did on ATT.

T-Mobile roaming is definitely not active yet. Still roaming on ATT today.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    When did Sprint announce a national VoLTE rollout for next month?

Either way they could just enable LTE data roaming like they did on ATT.

T-Mobile roaming is definitely not active yet. Still roaming on ATT today.
    The only date that was reported was Marcelo's "effective immediately" that I think he said erroneously. My long-term sources have said June is most likely when this will kick in.

T-Mobile roaming will be done via a PRL update and VoLTE will be enabled with the HLR for both Sprint and T-Mobile roaming networks nationwide. Will they actually get all this done by the end of next month? No idea, but that's the goal.

I would say this likely has top priority (at both companies) because of the window-dressing effect of bolstering how a merged Sprint/T-Mobile would be a good thing.

Feedback Score
    I read that Sprint is paying for this and the deal was effective immediately but it is yet to be implemented.

Feedback Score
    If the T-Mobile roaming works and includes a reasonable amount of data, I'll come back to Sprint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    If the T-Mobile roaming works and includes a reasonable amount of data, I'll come back to Sprint.

You can only roam on TMobile if you have no Sprint data signal. It's LTE roaming only.

Feedback Score
    Do you think they will differentiate Voice and Data/Roaming? I expect they will continue to count voice as one roaming allotment and data as another. What we really need is roaming data more than voice.

I expect they will have so much voice roaming allowed and so much data roaming allowed.

Also if they are going to merge anyway what is the point of making it difficult to use T-Mobile's Network if you need it and have Sprint?

I would hope it is something like you can use up to 60% of Voice Usage and 60% of your Data Bucket on T-Mobile Roaming if you have Sprint. That would be very generous.

Or perhaps make no difference at all and allow users to switch at will. I think you can do this on Google's Project Fi.

Feedback Score
    Do you think they will differentiate Voice and Data/Roaming?
    They do now so yes, I think they will keep it that way until CDMA shut down.

Also if they are going to merge anyway what is the point of making it difficult to use T-Mobile's Network if you need it and have Sprint?
    You are talking like this is a done deal, far from it. The 2 carriers must continue to act independently until merged otherwise it is a violation of anti-trust laws.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So on the webcast they addressed the roaming issue.

It will not be VoLTE roaming on T-Mobile. Data only.

That means you will either be roaming on Verizon, USCC, or another CDMA carrier for voice, and using T-Mobile for LTE data.

Feedback Score

That means you will either be roaming on Verizon, USCC, or another CDMA carrier for voice, and using T-Mobile for LTE data.
    Thanks. That would work for me. I don't hardly use voice anymore anyway.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score

That's going to create for some odd situations. If you depend on Sprint, I suggest setting up a SIP VoIP app like SkypeOut or Hangouts Dialer.

Will be interesting to see how the PRL mitigates roaming scenarios where you have CDMA voice and T-Mobile LTE data. Or if the PRL only lets you roam on T-Mobile data if you have no 3G coverage at all - at which point to make/receive calls, you'd have to use your own VoIP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    That's going to create for some odd situations. If you depend on Sprint, I suggest setting up a SIP VoIP app like SkypeOut or Hangouts Dialer.

Will be interesting to see how the PRL mitigates roaming scenarios where you have CDMA voice and T-Mobile LTE data. Or if the PRL only lets you roam on T-Mobile data if you have no 3G coverage at all - at which point to make/receive calls, you'd have to use your own VoIP.
    I was just thinking the same thing. Also a Call Forward to your Google Voice Number and setting the prefer Mobile Data & WiFi might accomplish the same thing.

The reality is you will probably not often be in a place has T-Mobile LTE and no Verizon CDMA for voice.

One problem will be when Verizon turns CDMA off that will be an issue.

I wonder if Sprint's Calling Plus will work on T-Mobile's LTE? Probably not or Neville Ray would have mentioned it.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ement-t-mobile

I also wonder if there is some reciprocity for T-Mobile users to use Sprint's network somehow?

But wait a minute how can Sprint use AT&T's VoLTE and not be capable of using T-Mobile's? Or is it something to do with T-Mobile bands.

Also, I can never figure out why these Global Phones you take to Japan or Europe or somewhere and suddenly they can work on all kinds of bands, frequencies and networks. They roam just fine over there but here they can only roam on each other after a natural disasters and the rest of the time they are incompatible? ( Thinking 911 calling and Hurricane Sandy Network Sharing between AT&T and T-Mobile).

Looking forward to joining Sprint once the T-Mobile roaming is operational

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Sprint's plans a nationwide launch of VoLTE within months aka this fall.

I'd like to think that some of these concerns should be alleviated and at that time perhaps Sprint/T-Mobile could form a reciprocal VoLTE roaming agreement.

I'd also like to see these companies form the nation's first 5GNR roaming agreement as a gesture of their leadership and dedication to providing the best 5G network.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast