Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's Next For Us?

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW one way or another.
    Feedback Score
    On Teltik, one can get 2GB of data for $20 on top of UT&T with very similar coverage. Data speed is sufficient for basic use when roaming international. I know I need to get an EIN. It is worth it.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nacrae View Post
    On Teltik, one can get 2GB of data for $20 on top of UT&T with very similar coverage. Data speed is sufficient for basic use when roaming international. I know I need to get an EIN. It is worth it.
    Teltik, and other similar business resellers, certainly have their advantages, but it's still one carrier and possible roaming partners. Not to mention, you have to "technically" be a business in order to subscribe.

NOTE: I know that people have sent eBay listings, etc and got approved. I also know that there were other companies trying the same thing and T-Mobile immediately cut them off, leaving little time for their subscribers to port numbers away. If you have a legitimate business, Teltik seems to take care of their subscribers pretty well from what I understand.

I have friends where T-Mobile and AT&T have no service, but Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular does. My sister's rural neighborhood only has US Cellular and AT&T, but just enough of a weak T-Mobile signal where it won't let you roam on either (at least right now with the Pixel 2).

If any one carrier works where you live, work, and travel, then you should consider them. If something happens where I become forced to use more data, then I myself will re-examine which carrier suits me best. I'm not enough of a Google fan to where I lose perspective on how to spend my money.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    With rumors about the new T-Mobile maybe having to give up spectrum and/or customers to get the merger approved, what do you think Google wants to do? We haven't talked much about things from their point of view yet.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    With rumors about the new T-Mobile maybe having to give up spectrum and/or customers to get the merger approved, what do you think Google wants to do? We haven't talked much about things from their point of view yet.
    I'm pretty sure that Google doesn't want to become an actual wireless carrier.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW one way or another.
    Feedback Score
    Google went into the fiber business to boost consumption. Now others, incumbents have similar offerings so Google no longer pushes fiber.
    Google Fi was somewhat similar, have internet access anywhere possible. TMO Global is here, ATT, WZV also offers North America plans.
    Google Fi did not sell that many Google phones. Customer service got scripted. It is an MVNO now, pricing should reflect it.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nacrae View Post
    Google went into the fiber business to boost consumption. Now others, incumbents have similar offerings so Google no longer pushes fiber.
    Google Fi was somewhat similar, have internet access anywhere possible. TMO Global is here, ATT, WZV also offers North America plans.
    Google Fi did not sell that many Google phones. Customer service got scripted. It is an MVNO now, pricing should reflect it.
    Google no longer pushes fiber because their rollout was hampered by the right of way owners making backroom deals with municipalities to shut out new competition. Google is skipping fiber and going direct to always-on internet via gigabit class wireless.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Google no longer pushes fiber because their rollout was hampered by the right of way owners making backroom deals with municipalities to shut out new competition. Google is skipping fiber and going direct to always-on internet via gigabit class wireless.
    Google wasn't making any money on their fiber product - the product uptake didn't warrant the investment. I think the computer programmers thought the fiber was going to just install itself til someone started looking at the actual bills.

The right of way issue was only a factor in one or two AT&T cities and the CWA was one of the big players pushing against Google because they wanted union labor to do all the pole attachment work - you just won't read that on ARS Technica or Reddit which loves ARS stories.. Google had the ENTIRE country to roll out the service and they stopped because of Louisville? They stopped in cities elsewhere when in those cities there were NO issues because of resistance in one or two OTHER places? That's a narrative based fantasy.

https://cwa-union.org/news/fcc-commi...-and-good-jobs

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...-obstruct-safe

Here's an ARS Technica story detailing that the FCC sided with Google for one touch make ready rules with just a single mention of Verizon despite Verizon being a proponent of OTMR from the start and helping to draft rules for OTMR because its not about the actual story there it's about the narrative - Google good, Verizon (and others bad). It's a one way street for actual info.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...utility-poles/

Googles wireless product is going no where. It's building by building just apartments and condos using unlicensed free spectrum that is fast disappearing. They shut Webpass down in Boston right away and that was getting good reviews - too much competition - not a good payback on the investment.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Google wasn't making any money on their fiber product - the product uptake didn't warrant the investment. I think the computer programmers thought the fiber was going to just install itself til someone started looking at the actual bills.

The right of way issue was only a factor in one or two AT&T cities and the CWA was one of the big players pushing against Google because they wanted union labor to do all the pole attachment work - you just won't read that on ARS Technica or Reddit which loves ARS stories.. Google had the ENTIRE country to roll out the service and they stopped because of Louisville? They stopped in cities elsewhere when in those cities there were NO issues because of resistance in one or two OTHER places? That's a narrative based fantasy.

https://cwa-union.org/news/fcc-commi...-and-good-jobs

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...-obstruct-safe

Here's an ARS Technica story detailing that the FCC sided with Google for one touch make ready rules with just a single mention of Verizon despite Verizon being a proponent of OTMR from the start and helping to draft rules for OTMR because its not about the actual story there it's about the narrative - Google good, Verizon (and others bad). It's a one way street for actual info.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...utility-poles/

Googles wireless product is going no where. It's building by building just apartments and condos using unlicensed free spectrum that is fast disappearing. They shut Webpass down in Boston right away and that was getting good reviews - too much competition - not a good payback on the investment.
    Thanks for the informed response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2