Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On network-unlocked phone, Freedom Wifi doesn't work (txts and 4G LTE is ok)

Feedback Score

On network-unlocked phone, Freedom Wifi doesn't work (txts and 4G LTE is ok)

I have a network-unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 4. It's an AT&T phone but works with FreedomPop and PetroCanada.

I borrowed a friend's Freedom Mobile yesterday to see if my phone works with Freedom. Here's what works:

I received an SMS text.
    4G LTE data works

But I can't get onto the Freedom Wifi hotspots (They show up as "ShawPasspoint" SSIDs in the list of wifi networks.) I downloaded the Freedom Wifi app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...edomwifi&hl=en) and it doesn't help. I was inside a Freedom Mobile shop and the ShawPasspoint appears as a strong connection on my list of Wifis. I opened the Freedom Wifi app while in the store and the app says it can't find a Freedom Wifi in range! The Freedom store clerk can easily connect with his Samsung phone (from Freedom), yet I couldn't connect.

Just for the record, I couldn't make phone calls. (I didn't need to, as I make my calls using VOIP, but just saying.)

Please help.

Fri Apr 27 13:11:03 PDT 2018 Update: added sentence about FreedomWifi app not finding Freedom Wifis in range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by out View Post
    I have a network-unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 4. It's an AT&T phone but works with FreedomPop and PetroCanada.

I borrowed a friend's Freedom Mobile yesterday to see if my phone works with Freedom. Here's what works:

I received an SMS text.
    4G LTE data works

But I can't get onto the Freedom Wifi hotspots (They show up as "ShawPasspoint" SSIDs in the list of wifi networks.) I downloaded the Freedom Wifi app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...edomwifi&hl=en) and it doesn't help. I was inside a Freedom Mobile shop and the ShawPasspoint appears as a strong connection on my list of Wifis. The Freedom store clerk can easily connect with his Samsung phone (from Freedom), yet I couldn't connect.

Just for the record, I couldn't make phone calls. (I didn't need to, as I make my calls using VOIP, but just saying.)

Please help.
    You have to connect through the Freedom WiFi app, not through your WiFi list. Open up the app, follow the prompts, and it should create a "Shaw Passpoint" profile you can use. As for the calling aspect, your phone likely does not support Band 4 UMTS, which is a requirement for calling on the Freedom network

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I opened the FReedom Wifi app while I'm right in the Freedom store and the app says "Sorry, Freedom Wifi is out of range".

Feedback Score
    How can I check whether my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (AT&T variant) supports Band 4 UMTS?

Feedback Score
    Dial *#2263# and see if it's listed there
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    How can I check whether my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (AT&T variant) supports Band 4 UMTS?
    Samsung's Website has the AT&T Note 4 listed as supporting "3G WCDMA : Band I/Band II/Band V". It looks like that handset does not have support for Band 4 UMTS. However, from past experience, this does not always mean that the handset is physically incapable of using a specific frequency. AT&T's Galaxy Note II (i317M) had hardware support for Band 4 UMTS, but users needed to use QPST in order to activate it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Dial *#2263# and see if it's listed there
    Okay, I did that and see
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-30-12-45-53.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  46.4 KB

I then tapped LTE and see this: Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-30-12-46-49.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  27.3 KB.

Does this mean

Feedback Score
    Look at WCMDA band preference and see if band 4 is enabled with an asterisk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    However, from past experience, this does not always mean that the handset is physically incapable of using a specific frequency. AT&T's Galaxy Note II (i317M) had hardware support for Band 4 UMTS, but users needed to use QPST in order to activate it.
    How do I use QPST?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Look at WCMDA band preference and see if band 4 is enabled with an asterisk.
    Name:  1525214253013.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  37.0 KB Does this screenshot mean my phone can't do it?

Feedback Score
    That's correct. WCDMA 1700 not supported, which means no voice calls or 3G of any kind on Band 4.

Feedback Score
    ok. but what about getting onto Shaw Passpoint wifi?

Feedback Score
    How do I use QPST?
    This is what I am talking about. This specific guide is for the i317M (Note II) though. I can't say for sure whether this is possible on the Note 4, for that Google will be your friend...

Feedback Score
    I visited a Freedom store and told the clerk that
    1. I can't make phone calls
    2. I can receive texts
    3. and can't use FreedomWifi (i.e. Shaw Passpoint).

As for points 1 and 2 above, he said , I have uplink: 21HSDP+. but I don't have downlink.
    He said he doesn't have any info on my FreedomWifi issues.

Feedback Score
    A Freedom twitter staff told a phone must have EAP-AKA authentication protocol. Now I'm trying to determine whether my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has that protocol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast