Thread: Changing plans on multiple lines

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score

Changing plans on multiple lines

My son and I are both on the Multi-line Plan, his is a billed though my account... We had an issue with our Internet at home last night and he didn't realize that he was using mobile data for several hours watching videos and he used up his 6GB of data.

Our plan renews on May 8, and we were going to switch to the new 8GB plans at that time.

My question is, if I switch his now how does that effect the billing and renewal that both occur on the same date now? I really don't want to change mine yet since I have nearly 5GB remaining on my plan. If I just switch his now and mine later, how does that effect the billing? Or would I be better off just switch both lines today to the 8GB plan?
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    My question is, if I switch his now how does that effect the billing and renewal that both occur on the same date now? I really don't want to change mine yet since I have nearly 5GB remaining on my plan. If I just switch his now and mine later, how does that effect the billing? Or would I be better off just switch both lines today to the 8GB plan?
    TBH I'd tell you to call Customer Service and see what they tell you. Changing plans and multi-line accounts - and you have both in this scenario - are the two things that are as clear as mud on AT&T Prepaid, and if you're not careful you can end up screwed. I've called Customer Service a few times and each time they were great.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    TBH I'd tell you to call Customer Service and see what they tell you. Changing plans and multi-line accounts - and you have both in this scenario - are the two things that are as clear as mud on AT&T Prepaid, and if you're not careful you can end up screwed. I've called Customer Service a few times and each time they were great.
    Huh... Well, that was actually pretty painless. Apparently we get charged a pro-rated amount to coincide with the next renewal billing date when changing one line on a multi-line account. Wound up changing my son to $65 Unlimited Plan and was charged ~$23 right away (which was fine since I had a $25 credit sitting on my account anyway), then I am supposed to change my plan to the $50 on the 7th (our renewal date is the 8th, she said make the change the day BEFORE and not the date you hear when dialing 611).

Feedback Score
    Good to know, thanks for the update. Looks like multi-line accounts have a bit more flexibility than single line accounts.

Did they mention how the autopay discount is/will be handled when you change to the $50 plan? They will apply the autopay discount for your old plan 2-3 days before the renewal; since the autopay discount for the $50 plan is higher do they apply the additional discount when you change plans?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    Good to know, thanks for the update. Looks like multi-line accounts have a bit more flexibility than single line accounts.

Did they mention how the autopay discount is/will be handled when you change to the $50 plan? They will apply the autopay discount for your old plan 2-3 days before the renewal; since the autopay discount for the $50 plan is higher do they apply the additional discount when you change plans?
    Guess I didn't ask that and it wasn't mentioned by the CSR, and she was pretty clear about everything else. In this case it's a wash... $45 plan with $5 discount moving to a $50 plan with $10 discount. The charge occurs a couple days prior, the discount applied when the "billing" actually occurs. I usually just get a callingmart card and add it to my account a week before it renews anyway.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Guess I didn't ask that and it wasn't mentioned by the CSR, and she was pretty clear about everything else. In this case it's a wash... $45 plan with $5 discount moving to a $50 plan with $10 discount. The charge occurs a couple days prior, the discount applied when the "billing" actually occurs. I usually just get a callingmart card and add it to my account a week before it renews anyway.

Did it just now on my 4-line $45 group plan, which renews today. Had sufficient balance and changed one line at a time. Each line immediately got pushed to new plan $50 (8GB) and subtracted money from the funds already available. The funds were loaded through CallingMart PINs. Rollover data didn't carry over as expected. Clean slate for all 4-lines starting today, on the $50 plan, total $120 after auto-pay discount.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolchicagoguy View Post
    Did it just now on my 4-line $45 group plan, which renews today. Had sufficient balance and changed one line at a time. Each line immediately got pushed to new plan $50 (8GB) and subtracted money from the funds already available. The funds were loaded through CallingMart PINs. Rollover data didn't carry over as expected. Clean slate for all 4-lines starting today, on the $50 plan, total $120 after auto-pay discount.
    Guess I didn't expect roll-over data to stay... It's a "new" service, everything associated with it would disappear.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Online problem is you lose whatever you had paid on the old plan, but you get prorated on the new plan for the rest of the month. If you switch early in your cycle you double pay one month. If you switch late, you double pay only a day or two.