Thread: Will Cricket go ape if I insert my SIM in an AT&T tablet?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Will Cricket go ape if I insert my SIM in an AT&T tablet?

I've read over the terms and conditions and understand they might not be necessarily fond of the idea of taking an Unlimited 2 SIM card and putting it inside of a tablet, however I just performed a SIM check using an LG G Pad X to see if it was a possible device to use on their network and it said the device was ready to be used with Cricket with no problems at all. I already have the tablet as it was just given to me free of charge and the idea of not only being able to tether Netflix/YouTube to the tablet directly but to convert it to a hotspot in times of emergency (a la PDANet + NordVPN) sounds far too enticing to not at least get some input on it. Right now I have the SIM card installed in an older Moto E 2015 device that came from Consumer Cellular that I had SIM unlocked and bootloader unlocked, and right now it's setup to be able to tether to any device I connect it to and it works like a charm. I'd be willing to setup the same scheme with a tablet in order to allow it to become a hotspot as well, but at the same time want to keep Cricket in mind since they tend to have the best deals out there right now when it comes to large family plans and especially considering an unlimited 3mbps internet connection. Should I just go with what Cricket's website says about the tablet being okay to use, or should I forget it and just use the Moto E and tether it to the LG G Pad X to get my data that way. I'm genuinely interested in all of your thoughts so if you have any then I'm all open ears. Cheers guys.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to help but WOT makes it impossible.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wide Open Throttle? Just call him speed racer.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrent View Post
    I've read over the terms and conditions and understand they might not be necessarily fond of the idea of taking an Unlimited 2 SIM card and putting it inside of a tablet, however I just performed a SIM check using an LG G Pad X to see if it was a possible device to use on their network and it said the device was ready to be used with Cricket with no problems at all. I already have the tablet as it was just given to me free of charge and the idea of not only being able to tether Netflix/YouTube to the tablet directly but to convert it to a hotspot in times of emergency (a la PDANet + NordVPN) sounds far too enticing to not at least get some input on it. Right now I have the SIM card installed in an older Moto E 2015 device that came from Consumer Cellular that I had SIM unlocked and bootloader unlocked, and right now it's setup to be able to tether to any device I connect it to and it works like a charm. I'd be willing to setup the same scheme with a tablet in order to allow it to become a hotspot as well, but at the same time want to keep Cricket in mind since they tend to have the best deals out there right now when it comes to large family plans and especially considering an unlimited 3mbps internet connection. Should I just go with what Cricket's website says about the tablet being okay to use, or should I forget it and just use the Moto E and tether it to the LG G Pad X to get my data that way. I'm genuinely interested in all of your thoughts so if you have any then I'm all open ears. Cheers guys.
    go ahead and try it but cricket may detect that you are using an unauthorized device and may decide to terminate your service.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    go ahead and try it but cricket may detect that you are using an unauthorized device and may decide to terminate your service.
    To be completely transparent, if I put my Cricket SIM card in this tablet it would show up in their system with an LG G5 IMEI so I really have to wonder if they can detect the fact it has the wrong IMEI number registered within the device. Also, I wasn't the one that made it happen either...I actually purchased it like that and only a few months later after running an IMEI check figured out that the IMEI built into the device was not an LG G Pad X IMEI. I've heard of stories of computers being able to check the signature of the radio emissions of the device and tell if it really is the device it claims to be or if it's a false IMEI but I've never heard of it actually catching someone in the act. I'd be more than willing to lose this phone number, but I'm not sure that I'd be ready for LE to be crawling up my behind and start trying to hunt me down. The only thing I can gather is that someone was able to actually modify the IMEI of the device to bypass the fact that it might have been blacklisted at some point and used one of those high-dollar kits to change the IMEI of the tablet to circumvent the fact that it's most likely it was blacklisted by one of the carriers at some point in its life. I've always used the tablet as nothing more than a way to stream movies and TV shows through HDHomeRun here in my home as well as occasionally tether it to my actual daily driver to gain internet access.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    A tablet is an authorized device. You won't have any problems.

Specifically from the Terms of Service:

"Your Device uses a Cricket SIM Card to access our Data Services. You are prohibited from using a Cricket SIM Card with any device other than a basic phone, smartphone, or tablet Device to access our Data Services."

This is from the Prohibited Uses and the Misuse and Abuse of Services and Devices section.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Tablets have always been a weird one. Initially, Aio had a tablet plan, but I think that faded away around the time the Cricket branding came into effect. While there aren't any tablet plans available now, they seem to work on the phone plans, especially iPads, and some of the ToS still mention tablets, so it seems like a grey area that falls more into the "you should be okay" category. Technically, they could probably argue that while SIMs are allowed in tablets, there are no tablet plans, so .

FWIW, about a year ago, I took the 5th free line with the old Group Save and actually ordered the SIM using my now-replaced iPad's IMEI just to see what would happen - no issue and a number was assigned.

Feedback Score
    If the tablet is branded at&t then it won't work as a hotspot unless you've rooted it and changed it to allow it. Also, the way the IMEI shows up could be that lg registered those tablets that way in their system.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    a grey area that falls more into the "you should be okay" category. Technically, they could probably argue that while SIMs are allowed in tablets, there are no tablet plans, so .
    Grey area? Did you not see what I quoted (cut & pasted) from the current ToS? It clearly states that tablets are allowed. Why would you want to confuse the man with inaccurate information?
    Last edited by robertjglenn; 04-25-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Grammer

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    Grey area? Did you not see what I quoted (cut & pasted) from the current ToS? It clearly states that tablets are allowed. Why would you want to confuse the man with inaccurate information?
    The tablet terms are different: https://www.cricketwireless.com/lega...s-tablets.html

Tablet plans are not available for new customers.
    That being said, there's a lot of items on Cricket's site that either contradict or haven't been updated (much like how people discovered VoLTE on iPhones well before it was officially documented). I did a little bit of searching and found that there's explicit language allowing tablets on the Bring Your Own Phone page - just about everything after the discontinuation of the tablet-specific plans has always simply said "phone" and even now it does (Phone Plans, Bring Your Own Phone): https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...vice-byod.html

Bring a Tablet: If you'd like to bring a tablet to Cricket, you can activate it on one of our smartphone plans (plans from $50/mo and up recommended), but you won't have access to voice calls or messaging.
    I wonder if the general attitude of Cricket is that tablets are fine, but they're going to downplay the usage. This is a little different than AT&T treating phones and tablets as separate classes of devices. Either way, BadBrent's now got official language allowing it.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Oh, wow, what a prick.

Can you possibly confuse the issue any more? Again, why do feel it necessary to confuse the OP any more than he is?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    robertjglenn, I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way—I was trying to support what you found on the ToS and just provide some context for where I (and many others if you read up the thread) assumed that tablets were a no-no, just like hotspots. For me, as tablets on Cricket have not come up much, tablets could have been referring to those grandfathered on the very old tablet plan. The intent was never to imply that you were wrong or create confusion.

BadBrend, if I confused you, I'm also sorry—I think that the general consensus around here is that everyone tries to provide information in a good-faith manner, especially bringing the context of our own experiences and comparing/contrasting with how other providers treat things. My background is dealing more with AT&T postpaid and business accounts, but have had a few years of Cricket experience, too. In many cases, there are more similarities than ever, but always a weird thing like this where they're not and you have to do some digging and approach it in different ways. Basically, robertjglenn's post gave a good foundation that you can use your tablet on Cricket and if you still weren't convinced, what I found on the poorly-named Bring Your Own Phone page also supports it. In other words, go for it.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    I used a Cricket SIM in an iPad for 4 months. Had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I inserted the SIM into the tablet and it shows up as an LG G5 and not a G Pad X as it should, and it's because of the fake IMEI that was programmed into the tablet by some shop that alters the IMEI in devices. Just so everyone knows, changing the IMEI of a device to bypass a blacklist is indeed illegal and even though I'm aware the tablet is essentially an illegal device it does in fact work on Cricket's service. After thinking about it for a while though, I decided using the tablet as a permanent hotspot isn't the best of ideas and will put the SIM back into my current tethering device - an old Moto E 2015 LTE with PDANet and NordVPN. I'll just tether the tablet to the G Pad X to get data in the future. It was interesting to see that Cricket registered the device as an LG G5 instead of a tablet which means whoever modified the tablet used one of those expensive programmer kits to change the IMEI in every instance on the device like they would with smartphones in China or the like. There are kits that can be purchased that are highly expensive that can "correct" just about any device's IMEI in just a matter of a few minutes but they're essentially illegal to possess or use in the US.