Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confused about FreedomPop and has anyone used Tello?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Tracfone)
    Feedback Score

Question Confused about FreedomPop and has anyone used Tello?

I have never had a FreedomPop Sim. I'm thinking of getting one now for the following reason. I'm taking a 3 week trip to Europe and plan to get a Three UK SIM for $29 that includes 3000 min, 3000 texts and 12 GIG of data. Although you can make or receive U.S. calls, they cost extra.

I have a Blu Vivo Mini UNLOCKED that takes two SIMS. While in transit between U.S. and Europe back and forth, I'd like to be able to make or receive calls within the U.S. So I'm thinking FreedomPop would go in Slot 2 for the 2nd SIM. What I'm not clear on is what FreedomPop costs for the minimum number of min/txt/data. It appears it's either free or $.01 for the first month. Once that month is over, does it renew for the $13.99 monthly plan or does it renew the FREE plan? I just want the single month. That's it.

I am in a small town 90 minutes S.W. of Atlanta. Is FreedomPop likely to have reception here?

Also has anyone heard of or used Tello? From what I understand it's free too. If so, is it as good as or better than FreedomPop?

Feedback Score
    Tello is not free. I have two Tello glovebox phones.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggiMagoo View Post
    I have never had a FreedomPop Sim. I'm thinking of getting one now for the following reason. I'm taking a 3 week trip to Europe and plan to get a Three UK SIM for $29 that includes 3000 min, 3000 texts and 12 GIG of data. Although you can make or receive U.S. calls, they cost extra.

I have a Blu Vivo Mini UNLOCKED that takes two SIMS. While in transit between U.S. and Europe back and forth, I'd like to be able to make or receive calls within the U.S. So I'm thinking FreedomPop would go in Slot 2 for the 2nd SIM. What I'm not clear on is what FreedomPop costs for the minimum number of min/txt/data. It appears it's either free or $.01 for the first month. Once that month is over, does it renew for the $13.99 monthly plan or does it renew the FREE plan? I just want the single month. That's it.

I am in a small town 90 minutes S.W. of Atlanta. Is FreedomPop likely to have reception here?

Also has anyone heard of or used Tello? From what I understand it's free too. If so, is it as good as or better than FreedomPop?
    Who is your current provider? You may already be in a good place to start, and will just benefit from the 3UK SIM you plan to buy for your dual-SIM phone.

I use Tello for my main line on PAYG, which has extremely low voice and data usage (about 30 to 50 cents a month). I have it basically to keep my number alive on iMessage, in a used iPhone SE. I also have a T-Mobile SIM originally activated in an iPad, on T-Mobile's 5GB/150-days day pass, in an iPhone X. Attached to that is a KnowRoaming SIM sticker, so I can buy unlimited data by the day when abroad.

FreedomPop has hoops to jump through to get downgraded to free service. Also I just learned today from FP support that their Sprint CDMA service is now all VoIP, no more native use of Sprint's network for voice and text. Their AT&T service was VoIP from the start. They don't sell the Global SIM anymore, although for those of us that still have one, it still seems to work.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that FreedomPop doesn't really give you minutes for calls - they only offer data, but they have a app that makes calls over the data connection. So if the Three SIM gives you data, all you really need is to install a VoIP app for calls for free, such as Google Hangouts.

Feedback Score

Freedompop uses the AT&T network*. It works as well as AT&T data works. Freedompop does not use cell voice. Everything goes over data - voice and SMS using their SIP/VOIP app. I have not found voice to be very reliable.

You can get the SIM and first month of service for $1. The $1 deal includes a month of promotional extra services. It would cost something like $5-$15 to downgrade to totally free after the first month. If, as you say, you just want 1 month, you could just cancel the account. Otherwise they will charge your card for the monthly cost of the promotions.

It is not entirely clear if the Blu Vivo Mini SIM 2 is 2G or 3G. If it is 2G, it won't work with Freedompop-AT&T. AT&T discontinued 2G a year or so ago.

Tello uses the Sprint network and is not free. You can deposit $10 minimum and use it at 3 cents a call minute, 2 cents data megabyte, 1 cent per text. It won't work with your Blu (or any other GSM) phone. I have and use it. It is standard cell service and works as well as the Sprint network works.

*Freedompop also has Sprint service.

Blu made a half megabyte RAM 3G phone in 2017? That strikes me as odd.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    Also I just learned today from FP support that their Sprint CDMA service is now all VoIP, no more native use of Sprint's network for voice and text. Their AT&T service was VoIP from the start.
    I have a Freedompop cdma phone that still gives me the option to buy premium voice. Isn’t that considered native use of sprint’s towers for voice and text? I’m guessing it’s grandfathered in for older phones? Can someone confirm newer FP cdma phones do not have that option under services anymore?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Mcurrent provider is Total Wireless CDMA. The phone I use with TW had a SIM slot but they won't unlock my phone. I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring my US phone just to be able to makes calls in transit to or from U.S. Airport (90 min from my home). Plus I'm meeting my sister at the airport so I feel like she may need to reach me in between. She's getting to the airport from another location.

Who is your current provider? You may already be in a good place to start, and will just benefit from the 3UK SIM you plan to buy for your dual-SIM phone.

I use Tello for my main line on PAYG, which has extremely low voice and data usage (about 30 to 50 cents a month). I have it basically to keep my number alive on iMessage, in a used iPhone SE. I also have a T-Mobile SIM originally activated in an iPad, on T-Mobile's 5GB/150-days day pass, in an iPhone X. Attached to that is a KnowRoaming SIM sticker, so I can buy unlimited data by the day when abroad.

FreedomPop has hoops to jump through to get downgraded to free service. Also I just learned today from FP support that their Sprint CDMA service is now all VoIP, no more native use of Sprint's network for voice and text. Their AT&T service was VoIP from the start. They don't sell the Global SIM anymore, although for those of us that still have one, it still seems to work.

Feedback Score
    FreedomPop has always been VoIP. That's a central part of their freemium business model. You only get native calling with Sprint if you pay the monthly subscription for Premium Voice. This much has not been changed whatsoever in years. There is no Premium Voice for the AT&T LTE SIM or Global SIM.

FreedomPop also makes it extremely simple to cancel. Takes only a few seconds and can be done right from the account. If OP doesn't want to pay FreedomPop to downgrade then they can cancel the SIM before the billing cycle ends and never be charged.
    Check AT&T's Coverage Map, and I expect you'd have good reception from AT&T. FreedomPop is Data-Only.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Mcurrent provider is Total Wireless CDMA. The phone I use with TW had a SIM slot but they won't unlock my phone. I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring my US phone just to be able to makes calls in transit to or from U.S. Airport (90 min from my home). Plus I'm meeting my sister at the airport so I feel like she may need to reach me in between. She's getting to the airport from another location.
    So, what is the issue? barryspar already gave you a good solution.

Install Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer and use that with a Google Voice # with the data from your Three SIM, which will cost 1 pence/MB, or roughly 1/2 pence/minute.

Just be aware that you have to dial "+1" or "001" before a 10-digit North America phone # when placing a call with hangouts when you have a foreign SIM card in your phone.

See https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...vice-in-Greece for a similar discussion.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Since you have a dual SIM phone, you could ALSO use a FP AT&T LTE SIM card for data only to do the same. Hangouts will work just fine with the data from either SIM card, or even over WiFI.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No real issue, Boz1, I was just answering AnthonysJennings question. A lot of people ask me to use WhatsApp which is also VoiP apparently. What I don't know is if Google Voice is cheaper or somehow better than WhatsApp. It's amazing to me that in the end, this is all so relatively simple.

Well maybe not. I see that I should get a new U.S. Number when I sign up for Google Voice. Then I guess I'll be able to add both my current U.S. carrier phone number and then the UK Number when I activate it. I will do that around May 4th or 5th. I depart on May 8th, and need the 30 days to run through at least June 1st.

I have two Google Accounts. One I use all the time. The other is infrequently used. Would it matter which account I use with the UK SIM? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but having never used Google Voice or had an international SIM/phone, I have no experience.

At this webpage, it says to make calls internationally, I also need to download Hotspot Shield, so this does seem a little complicated. https://lifehacker.com/5726407/use-a...outside-the-us It says This is required because you can't sign in to Google Voice from a non-US I.P. address.
    Last edited by MaggiMagoo; 04-25-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    No real issue, Boz1, I was just answering AnthonysJennings question. A lot of people ask me to use WhatsApp which is also VoiP apparently. What I don't know is if Google Voice is cheaper or somehow better than WhatsApp. It's amazing to me that in the end, this is all so relatively simple.

Well maybe not. I will be getting a UK phone number. I assume that's the number I tie to Google Voice? Or should I add my regular U.S. # to Hangouts on the phone I'll be using in Europe for VoiP calls to/from the U.S.?

I have two Google Accounts. One I use all the time. The other is infrequently used. Would it matter which account I use with the UK SIM? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but having never used Google Voice or had an international SIM/phone, I have no experience.
    You'll have to use a US #, at least temporarily, to establish a GV #. If you already have a GV #, it's irrelevant, because you'll be using you GV #, through Hangouts, over data only. Hangouts doesn't care what country you're in. As long as data is available, it will work for calls and messaging to US and Canadian phone #s.

I use Hangouts for calls and messaging to my US and Canadian contacts over data only while I'm physically in both the US and Canada on a regular basis, and I used it over data in Hungary, Ukraine, and Austria in 2016. I plan to do the same in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and Luxembourg next month.

Regarding Hangouts vs WhatsApp, I'm not 100% sure, because I've never had an occasion to use WhatsApp. But according to https://versus.com/en/google-hangouts-vs-whatsapp , WhataApp can't send texts to real phone #s like GV/Hangouts can, so I'd guess WhatsApp can't call real phone #s, either.

For what it's worth, the people I call internationally use Viber, Skype, or FB Messenger, which all work well enough for either voice only or video, and all require both parties to have the app or program. Viber can call normal phone #s, too, at an extra per minute cost, for less than Skype for most international destinations that I've checked, and I don't know if Messenger can also be used to call real phone #s.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    At this webpage, it says to make calls internationally, I also need to download Hotspot Shield, so this does seem a little complicated. https://lifehacker.com/5726407/use-a...outside-the-us It says This is required because you can't sign in to Google Voice from a non-US I.P. address.
    Hmmm...I just noticed you edited your post while I was replying.

The info you added to your post is irrelevant to using a GV # via Hangouts over data only.

The article you linked, which was from 2011, was simply about "How to Get Google Voice outside the U.S." It has nothing to do with what you stated in your post, and it's actually puzzling at how you got that understanding from reading that article!?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hmmm...I just noticed you edited your post while I was replying.

The info you added to your post is irrelevant to using a GV # via Hangouts over data only.

The article you linked, which was from 2011, was simply about "How to Get Google Voice outside the U.S." It has nothing to do with what you stated in your post, and it's actually puzzling at how you got that understanding from reading that article!?
    Oh, wow, sorry. I'm old (64). I guess that's because I didn't notice the most significant thing - that it was getting a # from outside the U.S.

Thank you so much for your patience and continued assistance. I have a BLU international phone. I don't have my UK Three SIM that I'll be using yet. I will be activating the UK SIM and will have a UK# as of April 5th, coincidentally three days before I leave the U.S. So here's my OTHER what seems like CONSTANT confusion. I seem to have this knack for making things more complicated than they actually are.

First I get a new U.S. Number at Google Voice, right? What I'm unsure of during the "Verification" do I add the UK# or my regular U.S. phone number or can I add both? (Again, I won't have UK # until later.)

I'm also uncertain as to whether I'll be needing to add some funds to Google Voice to use it in Europe to call/text or receive same from/to the U.S.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Oh, wow, sorry. I'm old (64). I guess that's because I didn't notice the most significant thing - that it was getting a # from outside the U.S.

Thank you so much for your patience and continued assistance. I have a BLU international phone. I don't have my UK Three SIM that I'll be using yet. I will be activating the UK SIM and will have a UK# as of April 5th, coincidentally three days before I leave the U.S. So here's my OTHER what seems like CONSTANT confusion. I seem to have this knack for making things more complicated than they actually are.

First I get a new U.S. Number at Google Voice, right? What I'm unsure of during the "Verification" do I add the UK# or my regular U.S. phone number or can I add both? (Again, I won't have UK # until later.)

I'm also uncertain as to whether I'll be needing to add some funds to Google Voice to use it in Europe to call/text or receive same from/to the U.S.
    Your Three SIM phone # will have nothing to do with your GV # and using it with Hangouts. It will simply provide a data connection for using Hangouts.

If you don't already have a GV #, sign up for one now, using either your home phone # or a real cell phone #.

Install Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer apps on your Android. Hangouts Dialer will integrate into Hangouts, so you won't be using that directly. Sign into Hangouts using the GV account credentials associated with your GV #.

Go into Hangouts settings and enable "Incoming phone calls" for your account.

Now you can send texts and place/receive phone calls using your GV # with Hangouts over cellular data or WiFi.

Go ahead and set that all up now, so you can get more help before you leave, if necessary.

At this time, DON'T install the Google Voice App on your phone, because you'll be using your GV # over data, and while that functionality has recently been added to GV, it is in beta testing. Hangouts is currently the proven, reliable way to use your GV # over data only.

You do NOT have to add funds to your GV account to call and text US and Canadian #s. You would only need to fund it if you want to use it to call other international #s.

Don't forget what I said above for using Hangouts with your Three SIM card in your phone: ...you have to dial "+1" or "001" before a 10-digit North America phone # when placing a call with Hangouts when you have a foreign SIM card in your phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast