Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Confused about FreedomPop and has anyone used Tello?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggiMagoo View Post
    ...First I get a new U.S. Number at Google Voice, right? What I'm unsure of during the "Verification" do I add the UK# or my regular U.S. phone number or can I add both? (Again, I won't have UK # until later.)
    Get a Google Voice number. It will be a US number. You will need a US cell or landline number to get the GV number, but it doesn't ever have to be used again. GV does not need to know anything about your foreign number. Do it now and get used to using Hangouts for calls with your wifi.

You will need Hangouts AND Hangouts Dialer on the cellphone. You do not need to leave both Icons on the home screen. Once Hangouts Dialer is installed they both do the same thing. For the basics, you do not need the GV app. Find the setting in Hangouts to enable receiving incoming calls if you want that. It's off by default.

Hangouts uses data for calls - Wifi or mobile data. It does not matter one bit what is providing the data. You may find that some public Wifi blocks Hangouts.

I'm also uncertain as to whether I'll be needing to add some funds to Google Voice to use it in Europe to call/text or receive same from/to the U.S.
    Using Hangouts for calls between your phone and US numbers is free no matter where the phone is. Calling non-US numbers costs and you would have to make a deposit to the GV account.

These are the basics. GV and Hangouts have many other features.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Is there an echo echo echo in here here here...lol?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Boz1, okay here's yet another possibly CRAZY question. I set up GV with my U.S. Cell number. I have a separate phone for use with my Three K SIM. If I were to temporarily STOP my prepaid U.S. cellphone account (the # I used to sign up for GV), would that inactivate my GV account?

Sent from my SM-T810 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wait, just scrolling up I saw you said I'd need a U.S. # "even temporarily" so I guess it wouldn't matter then if I suspend my U.S. prepaid # for the 3.5 weeks I'll be gone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Boz1, okay here's yet another possibly CRAZY question. I set up GV with my U.S. Cell number. I have a separate phone for use with my Three K SIM. If I were to temporarily STOP my prepaid U.S. cellphone account (the # I used to sign up for GV), would that inactivate my GV account?

Wait, just scrolling up I saw you said I'd need a U.S. # "even temporarily" so I guess it wouldn't matter then if I suspend my U.S. prepaid # for the 3.5 weeks I'll be gone.

Correct. I use my 2 GV #s with no real phone # attached.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Boz1. I was able to receive and make calls using Google voice while in the U.S. I do seem to remember checking the ability to receive calls. Now I can't find that setting anywhere. I got to Prague today and cannot get incoming out outgoing calls using Google Voice. So far I've just tried it with wifi. I'll try data too. But why can't I see the option anymore in settings to disable or enable calls?

Feedback Score
    Boz1. I was able to receive and make calls using Google voice while in the U.S. I do seem to remember checking the ability to receive calls. Now I can't find that setting anywhere. I got to Prague today and cannot get incoming out outgoing calls using Google Voice. So far I've just tried it with wifi. I'll try data too. But why can't I see the option anymore in settings to disable or enable calls?
    Make sure you have the Hangouts Dialer app installed in addition to the basic Hangouts app.

Touch the menu spot - three horizontal lines at the upper left of the screen.

Touch Settings.

Touch your account name.

Under your GV number turn on Incoming phone calls.

It is not unusual for some public Wifi to block VOIP calling.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Did you find the incoming call setting as bobdevnul described?

EXACTLY what happens when you try to make an outgoing call?

What SIM card do you have in the phone you're using with Hangouts?

Don't forget what I told you above: "you have to dial "+1" or "001" before a 10-digit North America phone # when placing a call with Hangouts when you have a foreign SIM card in your phone".

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Make sure you have the Hangouts Dialer app installed in addition to the basic Hangouts app.

Touch the menu spot - three horizontal lines at the upper left of the screen.

Touch Settings.

Touch your account name.

Under your GV number turn on Incoming phone calls.

It is not unusual for some public Wifi to block VOIP calling.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Funny, after posting I got a Google Voice call from the U.S., and yes Incoming Calls is set, but I cannot make an outgoing call using my international SIM. it immediately switches to the Hangouts Dialer without any way to stop it. The SIM I have is Three UK. When I was trying to get it to work I changed the network operator, the available network and the APN. Then I changed APN to the default setting. I have been trying to CHAT with Three UK but their live chat is hung up right now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Funny, after posting I got a Google Voice call from the U.S., and yes Incoming Calls is set, but I cannot make an outgoing call using my international SIM. it immediately switches to the Hangouts Dialer without any way to stop it. The SIM I have is Three UK. When I was trying to get it to work I changed the network operator, the available network and the APN. Then I changed APN to the default setting. I have been trying to CHAT with Three UK but their live chat is hung up right now.

Okay. That's good incoming calls is working with Hangouts, even if you couldn't find the setting again. You must have gotten it set correctly previously.

You need to clarify about outgoing calls. In your previous post, you indicated that you were trying to place calls with Hangouts (which you were calling Google Voice), but that it wasn't working, and you never provided any detail.

In your most recent post, it sounds like you're trying to place calls using the Three SIM card phone #. Which is it?

As far as outgoing calls with the Three SIM card phone #:
    1. Are you opening the native dialer to dial with?
    2. Are you trying to place a call with the Three SIM card's phone # because you're calling an international #? If not, why are you trying to use it?

I don't think I've ever heard of the Hangouts Dialer taking over if your dialing with the phone's native dialer.

Is there any other info you can provide to help us figure out what's happening?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Hey MaggiMagoo, what ever came of you issues of not being able to make outgoing calls with 1) Hangouts, and 2) your Three SIM card? Did you get it figured out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2