Thread: Is MetroPCS GSM or CDMA?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Is MetroPCS GSM or CDMA?

Which one is MetroPCS since they have partnered up with T-Mobile, are they GSM or CDMA?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
    Which one is MetroPCS since they have partnered up with T-Mobile, are they GSM or CDMA?
    Before they merged with T-Mobile, they were a CDMA/LTE carrier. After merging with T-Mobile, T-Mobile shut off their CDMA network and metroPCS is now a GSM/HSPA/LTE carrier (same network as T-Mobile).
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    I feel like 3 seconds on the internet could've answered this, but a related question.

Is calling in to swap SIM cards a holdover from CDMA days? As far as I'm aware they are the only GSM carrier requiring this, right? I don't think Verizon even requires it anymore, right? Only Sprint, Sprint MVNO, and MetroPCS?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    I feel like 3 seconds on the internet could've answered this, but a related question.

Is calling in to swap SIM cards a holdover from CDMA days? As far as I'm aware they are the only GSM carrier requiring this, right? I don't think Verizon even requires it anymore, right? Only Sprint, Sprint MVNO, and MetroPCS?
    Correct. Verizon does not require anything and you can freely swap sim among compatible phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    Correct. Verizon does not require anything and you can freely swap sim among compatible phones.
    So, is this an issue with their customer care software and a holdover from CDMA?
    I'm out the loop, but is CARE still used? I know Telegence was abandon long ago, never knew if it came back though. Not my market in a long time.

Feedback Score
    With boost and virgin you can't change to a new phone without losing your grandfathered plan.

I don't know if metropcs does the same or not.

So being able to freely change to a new phone without losing a grandfathered plan is a lot better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    With boost and virgin you can't change to a new phone without losing your grandfathered plan.

I don't know if metropcs does the same or not.

So being able to freely change to a new phone without losing a grandfathered plan is a lot better.
    We're not exactly discussing the same thing there. I'm asking about the technical limitation about their system. What you're referring to is a policy to squeeze out undesirables.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    First; I've upgraded/changed phones many times on MetroPCS and have always been able to keep my plan.

MetroPCS is a GSM/LTE/VoLTE carrier. They were originally a CDMA carrier until T-Mobile purchased them and switched them over to the T-Mobile network. You might be surprised to learn that MetroPCS was the FIRST carrier in America to offer LTE and VoLTE.

Regarding the swapping of SIMS requiring a call to customer service (it can be done through an automated menu selection process) or a stop at a store; I believe that's just the model of business that MetroPCS has decided to continue with. I think most of us agree that they should simplify that process.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I've upgraded/changed phones many n process) or a stop at a store; I believe that's just the model of business that MetroPCS has decided to continue with. I think most of us agree that they should simplify that process.
    Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10, iPhone XS MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Programmer
    Feedback Score
    They are using T-mobile towers so it's GSM 100%.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unlockboot View Post
    They are using T-mobile towers so it's GSM 100%.
    Good call 2 years ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    But mostly LTE nowadays. T-Mobile still has a small amount of GSM available, but I don't recall the last time I've seen it on my phone.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.