Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No more Telus/Bell roaming—disappointed

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I can confirm that it is not entirely true that we have lost access to Telus and Bell. I took a drive up to the border from my home in Vermont after getting manual network selection added on my iPhone 6s Plus. I was able to successfully connect to all three carriers. My signal was strongest with Rogers, and I was able to connect to lte and make HD Voice calls. I was also able to connect to Telus lte (no hd voice) and Bell 3G.

I will concede that the phone does default to Rogers when on automatic, but the ability to connect to your carrier of choice still seems to be there.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrugman View Post
    I can confirm that it is not entirely true that we have lost access to Telus and Bell. I took a drive up to the border from my home in Vermont after getting manual network selection added on my iPhone 6s Plus. I was able to successfully connect to all three carriers. My signal was strongest with Rogers, and I was able to connect to lte and make HD Voice calls. I was also able to connect to Telus lte (no hd voice) and Bell 3G.

I will concede that the phone does default to Rogers when on automatic, but the ability to connect to your carrier of choice still seems to be there.
    I assumed that's what would happen. Thank you for confirming!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    -Bentley

5-carrier aggregation with LAA (4+46+46+46+66) in Oklahoma City, OK on AT&T's commercial network

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

No more Telus/Bell roaming—disappointed

Does anyone have any screenshots? Also the first net website shows no coverage in the territories( mirrors Rogers coverage exactly) and limited coverage in Mexico. Does anyone think they are limiting firstnet users to Rodgers and Att Mexico only because they have more control over the network. Any thoughts ?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    I assumed that's what would happen. Thank you for confirming!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I’ll be back in British Columbia and Yukon next week so I’ll give it a shot.

Last year my phone always defaulted to Rogers but I could switch with no problem. This winter in Yukon I was no longer able to do that.

There are quite a few reports of this on Reddit and the AT&T forums as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bradpgh47 View Post
    Does anyone have any screenshots? Also the first net website shows no coverage in the territories( mirrors Rogers coverage exactly) and limited coverage in Mexico. Does anyone think they are limiting firstnet users to Rodgers and Att Mexico only because they have more control over the network. Any thoughts ?
    See the link below. Rogers did connect to LTE right after I snapped the screenshot. I was still a few miles from the border so the signal level was very dependent on the landscape. It does show that I was able to successfully connect to all three carriers though.

https://imgur.com/a/Rzd48aP

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    See the link below. Rogers did connect to LTE right after I snapped the screenshot. I was still a few miles from the border so the signal level was very dependent on the landscape. It does show that I was able to successfully connect to all three carriers though.

https://imgur.com/a/Rzd48aP
    Thanks for the response. Jtlidwig if you find that next week you have service in the territories, I think it’s safe to say that they are no longer restricting Bell/Telus which is great news. AT&T is really improving coverage and speeds. Almost every speed test in the thread is 100mb+ speeds. I hope they keep it up. With their spectrum assets and deep pockets they can be number one.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did some more testing this weekend. This time I brought my wife who does not have manual carrier selection on her iPhone 8 Plus. I was able to manually connect to Telus, Bell, and Rogers. I could not get data to connect on Rogers due to a weak signal. I had full bars of 3G on both Telus and Bell from the parking lot of Border Patrol in Richford, VT. I did briefly see LTE on Telus, but it fell back before I could test it.

My wife’s phone locked on to Bell 3G. Same signal strength as my 6s. We tested data and calling and confirmed that both work fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did some more testing this weekend. This time I brought my wife who does not have manual carrier selection on her iPhone 8 Plus. I was able to manually connect to Telus, Bell, and Rogers. I could not get data to connect on Rogers due to a weak signal. I had full bars of 3G on both Telus and Bell from the parking lot of Border Patrol in Richford, VT. I did briefly see LTE on Telus, but it fell back before I could test it.

My wife’s phone locked on to Bell 3G. Same signal strength as my 6s. We tested data and calling and confirmed that both work fine.
    Great. Thanks for the update. I’ll be in British Columbia this weekend so I’ll give it a shot. There was a time when it wasn’t working, but it sounds like they’ve worked things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any update based on your weekend trip.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Fellow forum member albert1735 is in Ontario right now. His AT&T iPhone is connecting to TELUS on its own. Not even by manual selection.

Must be a fluke with the coverage maps. Bell/TELUS are still supported!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X Factory Unlocked/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Fellow forum member albert1735 is in Ontario right now. His AT&T iPhone is connecting to TELUS on its own. Not even by manual selection.

Must be a fluke with the coverage maps. Bell/TELUS are still supported!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Awesome! Some speedtests would be nice albert1735!

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just saw this thread. I'm in Niagara Falls Ontario now and can roam fine on all 3. Bell gives me VoLTE. Telus, nope....drops back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Interesting... TMobile roaming is the opposite. Bell/Telus are automatic easy roaming. Roaming on Rogers -can- be done, but it is not easy...at least in Northern Ontario.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm in Oshawa on AT&T Prepaid and unable to roam on Bell/Telus with MNS enabled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleSweatshop View Post
    I'm in Oshawa on AT&T Prepaid and unable to roam on Bell/Telus with MNS enabled.
    what plan do you have ?? and do you have roaming turned on in the phone settings ??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3