Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering switching from Telus to Rogers

Feedback Score

Considering switching from Telus to Rogers

Hi guys, Iím new to these forums and Iíd appreciate some help and guidance. I apologize in advance for the somewhat lengthy post.

Iím currently with Telus (been with them forever) on a 30% EPP plan. I pay $91 + tax per month on a no tab plan (10GB with unlimited nationwide talk/text for $130 minus 30% EPP discount). Iím in the market for a new phone and Iím considering an iPhone 8 Plus. Ive spoke to 5 different people at Telus including 2 loyalty agents. The best theyíre willing to do is $145 per month minus the 30% EPP discount and then an additional $5 loyalty credit, bringing the plan cost to $96.50. They also said they would knock $100 off the price of the phone, which would bring it to $260. You read that right. A whopping $5 credit for being a loyal 11 year customer!

My home services (tv, internet) are with Rogers. They offered me $85 per month for the same 10GB unlimited talk/text plan, an iPhone 8 Plus for free and a $200 bill credit. So as you can see, not only is the monthly plan $11 cheaper, but when factoring in the free phone and additional bill credits, itís a decently better offer than Telus, and I didnít have to fight with anyone at Rogers to get this. Iíve always found Rogers customer service to be quite good and theyíre usually pretty flexible. Conversely, Iím finding Telus customer service to be going down the drain in recent years. Terrible loyalty offers, wait times to talk to someone is always in excess of 45 mins, and I never end up talking to anyone in Canada unless Iím transferred to loyalty or management.

While the offer above is somewhat of a no brainer, what Iím not sure of is their network quality and coverage. Despite Telusí lacklustre customer service and the fact theyíre a pain in the butt to deal with, they do have a great network. Iíve never had a problem with signal or anything like that. Iím located in Woodbridge around the Islington and Rutherford area and network has been flawless. Even around other parts of the GTA things are good in terms of network. I donít know if Iím going to have any problems with Rogers. Some friends are with them and they say things are fine but I donít follow them around everywhere so I canít experience things for myself.

So howís the Rogers network in and around the GTA? Howís their indoor coverage in places like malls etc? Am I overthinking this? Should I just switch and take the Rogers offer?

Feedback Score
    Iím not from Ontario but according to the towers map Rogers has a good amount of towers deployed in your area. They also use the low frequency bands for indoor coverage. According to reddit users Rogers is good in the Gta, but on here you might get more negatives since itís more techy. The best thing to do is to ask co workers neighbors, you already asked friends so thatís good. Rogers also has ext which lets you connect to bell/Telus network if you go into a area with out Rogers coverage, check the map on that. Some people say Ext does not work on here, but it works amazing in Bc.

Feedback Score
    Rogers coverage is pretty good in the GTA. Look up the site locations and see if there's a site near your home and work.
    https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Personally, I have virtually no issues with signal on Rogers in the GTA. They have a dense network and a good amount of low band. I can't fully speak to Kleinberg, so you may want to have a friend confirm at your place.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. Looking at that map, it looks like Bell has a tower in my backyard lol right at corner of Islington and Rutherford. Would explain why my signal is maxed out in my house. It also looks like Rogers has a tower close by on east side of Islington north of the intersection. But appears Bell has one there too. Overall it looks like Rogers will be ok but I see more Bell towers near me. Hmmm tough decision lol. I’ll ask my friend next time he’s over.

Feedback Score
    Maybe send a message to toolcube. I think he's in that area also.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Rogers coverage is pretty good in the GTA, they're also doing lots of network upgrades this year so I wouldn't worry about coverage.
    Nowadays with the big 3 their networks are all robust and good, so I would be making my decision based on price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telususer5 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Looking at that map, it looks like Bell has a tower in my backyard lol right at corner of Islington and Rutherford. Would explain why my signal is maxed out in my house. It also looks like Rogers has a tower close by on east side of Islington north of the intersection. But appears Bell has one there too. Overall it looks like Rogers will be ok but I see more Bell towers near me. Hmmm tough decision lol. I’ll ask my friend next time he’s over.
    Make sure you check the band on the towers because not all of those might be towers. I know bell has some microcells in your area. According to the map anyways

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Considering switching from Telus to Rogers

Iíve been summoned so I guess Iíll chime in Iím located farther east in Woodbridge. Iím just north of Wonderland in the south-west subdivision of Teston Rd and Hwy 400. The OP is about a 10 minute drive west of where I am. Rogers coverage in my subdivision is terrible and always has been. I was also told by numerous Rogers techs that thereís nothing planned in my area in terms of new sites or coverage enhancements. We do have a Bell site fairly close by. I can actually see it clearly from my bedroom window. So Bell/Telus coverage here is far superior to Rogers. Generally speaking, I still find Bell/Telus coverage and quality to be a fair bit better than Rogers throughout Vaughan and the GTA. Having said that, coverage is about equal between Bell/Telus and Rogers in the OPís location from experience. I know the Bell site the OP is referring to at the corner of Islington and Rutherford. Itís not very tall but does have low band LTE on B5 and B17/13. The other site the OP is referring to is a co-located monopole for Bell/Telus and Rogers. It was originally just Rogers so their antennas are mounted higher than Bellís. Also, Rogers has B17 on that site whereas Bell does not. Bell does have B5 there, however.

OP, I know what you mean about customer service. Iíve been pleasantly surprised by Rogers lately. I also never had too many problems with Telus but thatís because I never really had to call them all that much.

In summary, I think you would be fine with Rogers in your area but you will likely notice a difference in other areas. One thing I noticed about indoor coverage in shopping malls etc is that Rogers tends to rely on outdoor macro sites to blast coverage inside towards buildings whereas Bell will install indoor micro sites (known as distributed antenna systems or ďDASĒ) in far more places than Rogers. For example, Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill and Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket both have very good Bell DAS so Bell/Telus LTE signal is pretty much full in those malls. Rogers does not have a DAS inside Hillcrest and Rogers phones camp on B17 in the mall from an outdoor macro site. Rogers does have a DAS in Upper Canada Mall but itís only HSPA (no LTE) and itís only on the lower floor of the mall. Rogers phones tend to jump between 1-2 bars of B17 LTE and 3-5 bars HSPA all over the mall...itís not a good experience. Similar behaviour in all IKEA stores. I find indoor coverage better with Bell/Telus in places I frequently visit but YMMV.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to PM too.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. Thanks toolcube for the good info. I will try to make my decision this week. Coverage and good reception is important for me so what you said about Rogers has me a bit concerned. But I also like saving money

Feedback Score
    ^Coverage is Really Good in all Major Cities with the Big 3, It's the Cities outside of Major Cities where Rogers Just Sucks so I suggest you sign up for a Rogers Prepaid Plan to test the Coverage in your Neighborhood.

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have just switched from Telus to Robbers.
    Telus/Bell worked much better for me in GTA/Canada.
    I'm having the issue to get signal in the middle of Toronto - Yonge and Eglinton centre downstairs, no coverage.
    Their LTE is slower than Telus and coverage is less.
    The fact that Rogers-EXT network is actually Telus/Bell network, not theirs tells a lot.
    Overall it is better coverage than WIND but worse than Telus/Bell shared network.
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    I’ve been summoned so I guess I’ll chime in I’m located farther east in Woodbridge. I’m just north of Wonderland in the south-west subdivision of Teston Rd and Hwy 400. The OP is about a 10 minute drive west of where I am. Rogers coverage in my subdivision is terrible and always has been. I was also told by numerous Rogers techs that there’s nothing planned in my area in terms of new sites or coverage enhancements. We do have a Bell site fairly close by. I can actually see it clearly from my bedroom window. So Bell/Telus coverage here is far superior to Rogers. Generally speaking, I still find Bell/Telus coverage and quality to be a fair bit better than Rogers throughout Vaughan and the GTA. Having said that, coverage is about equal between Bell/Telus and Rogers in the OP’s location from experience. I know the Bell site the OP is referring to at the corner of Islington and Rutherford. It’s not very tall but does have low band LTE on B5 and B17/13. The other site the OP is referring to is a co-located monopole for Bell/Telus and Rogers. It was originally just Rogers so their antennas are mounted higher than Bell’s. Also, Rogers has B17 on that site whereas Bell does not. Bell does have B5 there, however.

OP, I know what you mean about customer service. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Rogers lately. I also never had too many problems with Telus but that’s because I never really had to call them all that much.

In summary, I think you would be fine with Rogers in your area but you will likely notice a difference in other areas. One thing I noticed about indoor coverage in shopping malls etc is that Rogers tends to rely on outdoor macro sites to blast coverage inside towards buildings whereas Bell will install indoor micro sites (known as distributed antenna systems or “DAS”) in far more places than Rogers. For example, Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill and Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket both have very good Bell DAS so Bell/Telus LTE signal is pretty much full in those malls. Rogers does not have a DAS inside Hillcrest and Rogers phones camp on B17 in the mall from an outdoor macro site. Rogers does have a DAS in Upper Canada Mall but it’s only HSPA (no LTE) and it’s only on the lower floor of the mall. Rogers phones tend to jump between 1-2 bars of B17 LTE and 3-5 bars HSPA all over the mall...it’s not a good experience. Similar behaviour in all IKEA stores. I find indoor coverage better with Bell/Telus in places I frequently visit but YMMV.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to PM too.
    Agree on everything you said. Poor LTE indoors and jumping from LTE to 3G all the time.
    Also Telus has more LTE frequencies than Robbers.
    I know some people in GTA have issues on getting decent signal at their apartments/homes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I switched from $60 10GB from Koodo for $80 10GB on Rogers with full subsidy.

I like the name display feature available on Rogers.

Rogers network at Union Station is horrible, but then again, there are a few dead spots on Koodo near my home.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Rogers should have good coverage/signal at Union Station. I believe they have a fairly good DAS there...unless theyíre having capacity issues which wouldnít surprise me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast