Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    One+5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I got the update yesterday and it seems to be working OK for calls in/out using GV.

I do have one problem though. Due to unwanted calls, I've always had the GV# forward calls to my cell# and I used DoNotDisturb (cellphone setting) except for people in my contacts, so only they could call me.
    Now, with GV calls going to the GV app, I can no longer use DND on the phone per above, because it blocks all calls from ringing on the GV app - even those from contacts.

It would be nice if GV app could use the system-wide DND settings in the phone. Or add similar exceptions to the DND setting in the GV app.
    Name:  DND.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  23.1 KB

Feedback Score
    I have one complaint with the new wifi calling setup on GV. With my new phone, Samsung Note 9, an incoming call on GV doesn't unlock the screen--meaning that I have to unlock the phone before I can access the swipe up to answer screen. That could be awkward. Doesn't work that way on my old S7 edge. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-T713 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    One+5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Today, on almost all incoming GV calls, my phone never rings and I'm getting this message on-screen: "Voice is doing work in the background."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leeonine View Post
    IWith my new phone, Samsung Note 9, an incoming call on GV doesn't unlock the screen--meaning that I have to unlock the phone before I can access the swipe up to answer screen.
    Probably a change in required permissions due to the newer OS. Google is prone to remove/restrict options at the OS level.

Feedback Score
    Based on reports in this forum, when the setting for Make and receive calls is set to Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data, this is what should happen when making a call:

1) Call uses WIFI if available.

2) If WIFI is not available, data is used.

3) If both WIFI and data are not available, you are asked to select one of these options:

-- Retry using internet
    -- Retry using Carrier
    -- Cancel

On my iPhone 7, step 3 does not happen. This happens instead:

I turn WIFI and data OFF and have a strong cellular signal available (ATT with 4 bars).

I start call by tapping a number in Contacts, or dial number on keypad.

The app immediately disappears from screen and call is not placed.

The app does not “crash” in the sense of shutting down completely. To make it reappear on screen I must tap the home button twice and select it from the app selector.

The only way I can make a cellular call is by manually changing the setting from Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data to Use carrier only.

I’ve tried many times with different numbers with the same result.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Hangouts is ringing or gv app is ringing for the 5 inbound calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The GV app. I am only using my new test GV #/account for the GV app, and I do NOT have that new test GV #/account set up in Hangouts.

Currently, Hangouts is still working correctly for my two primary GV #s, and the GV app is working correctly for my new test GV # for both inbound and outbound calls on two devices.
    I now have the GV app set up on three devices for testing:
    1) LG Phoenix 2 K371
    2) Moto E4 XT1768
    3) Blu Vivo XI

Will all three of the above devices, when calling my test GV # from different "real" phone numbers, all three lock screens light up and I see a button to swipe to answer simultaneously.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I have one complaint with the new wifi calling setup on GV. With my new phone, Samsung Note 9, an incoming call on GV doesn't unlock the screen--meaning that I have to unlock the phone before I can access the swipe up to answer screen. That could be awkward. Doesn't work that way on my old S7 edge. Oh well.

See my post directly above. I haven't experienced that, but then again, I've never used a device as advanced as a Note 9! I wonder if there's some setting on the Note 9 that would allow the expected behavior?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You guys that are seeing discrepancies between the apps as to the names, have you taken a look at contacts.Google.com to verify what the apps should be loading as correct info?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Probably a change in required permissions due to the newer OS. Google is prone to remove/restrict options at the OS level.
    I checked and the only permission that wasn't turned on was camera. So I switched it on, why not. But my test call came in over cellular this time (while my old phone rang on GV wifi simultaneously). My unlocked Note 9 is on Oreo, maybe when it gets the Pie update things will change.

Since switching from a Tracfone Verizon sim to a TF AT&T sim, I have much more reliable cell service at my house so I can always switch to using cellular for GV for easier answering.

Eh, time will tell I guess.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    You guys that are seeing discrepancies between the apps as to the names, have you taken a look at contacts.Google.com to verify what the apps should be loading as correct info?
    Yes. Hangouts pulls in the custom labels for the phone numbers correctly as shown at contacts.google.com , which is the same as shown in each of my three test device's contacts apps. The GV app does NOT, only showing "Other" instead of the actual custom labels. For clarification, this is using the GV app on the android devices I listed above.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    To summarize so far...

Despite some pretty good results testing the GV app with my test GV #/account on three different devices noted above, I won't be able to switch away from Hangouts for my primary GV #s yet for, so far, the following reasons:

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too.

2) On any of the three phones I'm testing the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, and TextNow, but the option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a serious issue for me.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app compared to Hangouts. This one is just a mild annoyance.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I checked and the only permission that wasn't turned on
    Sorry, didn't mean a permission like that.

I was thinking of things like lock screen access or device administrator.

For example, Google limited what apps could toggle BT/WiFi/Data.

Or apps unable to lock the screen (handy for launchers with gestures).

Or when they limited access to SD cards back in KK.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2) On any of the three phones I'm testing the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, and TextNow, but the option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a serious issue for me.
    That was stated long ago. GV app doesn't register with the system as a dialer/calling app.

Hopefully that's on the list of things to correct near term.

It's also not a texting app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by garlandk77 View Post
    Based on reports in this forum, when the setting for Make and receive calls is set to Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data, this is what should happen when making a call:

1) Call uses WIFI if available.

2) If WIFI is not available, data is used.

3) If both WIFI and data are not available, you are asked to select one of these options:

-- Retry using internet
    -- Retry using Carrier
    -- Cancel

On my iPhone 7, step 3 does not happen. This happens instead:

I turn WIFI and data OFF and have a strong cellular signal available (ATT with 4 bars).

I start call by tapping a number in Contacts, or dial number on keypad.

The app immediately disappears from screen and call is not placed.

The app does not “crash” in the sense of shutting down completely. To make it reappear on screen I must tap the home button twice and select it from the app selector.

The only way I can make a cellular call is by manually changing the setting from Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data to Use carrier only.

I’ve tried many times with different numbers with the same result.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    For me I use the GV to place calls via mobile data or wifi.
    If I want to use carrier minutes I then process the call through the native dialer.

Feedback Score
    To summarize so far...

Despite some pretty good results testing the GV app with my test GV #/account on three different devices noted above, I won't be able to switch away from Hangouts for my primary GV #s yet for, so far, the following reasons:

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app compared to Hangouts. This one is just a mild annoyance.
    It would be annoying to have to copy and paste a number.

But I just went to google maps and then selected a site, then pressed the call button, and it gave me the GV app as an option.
    I placed the call and it went through.

Please let us know if you can fix this for yourself.

I wish you the best.

Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast