Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    Most of the time it's seems about as good as a cellular call. It uses VOIP codec so it's way better than hangouts. Hangouts was so bad I was ready to start paying for cellular again until I applied for GV beta. But it occasionally has a couple glitches. I don't understand why they can't make it as good as other apps. I guess because it goes across carriers and networks to any working number including landlines.
    It makes sense.
    Right now I have no idea why I cannot even log into hangouts, my phone keeps on saying that google play services are not working and also hangouts is not working.

What is going on from google's end?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    No idea. Play store works for me.

Feedback Score
    Hangout tells me that there is no internet connection and also an account registeration error.
    Not sure what is going on anymore.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    ping 4 ms, download 5.4 MBps upload 1.4 MBps, on a Verizon Note 3, I can easily stream 720 on youtube.

I don't know if I uninstall or reinstall hangout if it will help or not.

I just wish that I could get the same quality on hangout as I get with whatsapp.
    Regarding comparing Hangouts to WhatsApp, that's not a fair comparison, because WhatApp only works app to app, afaik. Hangouts works across carriers and networks to any phone number, including cell phones and landlines.
    Hangout tells me that there is no internet connection and also an account registeration error.
    Not sure what is going on anymore.
    Hangouts is working perfectly for me on a LG Phoenix 2 and a Moto E4. Do you have a different phone or tablet to test it on to see if there's something about your current phone preventing it from working correctly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Regarding comparing Hangouts to WhatsApp, that's not a fair comparison, because WhatApp only works app to app, afaik. Hangouts works across carriers and networks to any phone number, including cell phones and landlines.

Hangouts is working perfectly for me on a LG Phoenix 2 and a Moto E4. Do you have a different phone or tablet to test it on to see if there's something about your current phone preventing it from working correctly?
    I agree that my phone is old and it may be corrupting.
    And I see how much more complicated it can be to communicate between different carriers and platforms.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Try signing up for GV Beta Wi-Fi calling. Once you're accepted the Beta GV app wil install itself on any phone. Even if you change phones.

Feedback Score
    Try signing up for GV Beta Wi-Fi calling. Once you're accepted the Beta GV app wil install itself on any phone. Even if you change phones.
    And once I get the app I can sign in with ANY gmail account and use any GV number or only from the email address that I applied with?

And also what di they want from here as a beta tester?
    Real name?
    Real info?
    Actual feedback on the product?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You have to use the GV number on your acct. The same number you use for Hangouts. After each call it asks your if it was good or bad. I don't know which name you use. I used my real name because I ported my cell phone number to GV years ago. Just try it if you want or not. That's all I can tell you.

Feedback Score
    You have to use the GV number on your acct. The same number you use for Hangouts. After each call it asks your if it was good or bad. I don't know which name you use. Just try it if you want or not. That's all I can tell you.
    What's app asks me if it was a good call or not. Maybe it sends data and for every answer it sees what settings on both sides contributed to a good call and what contributed to a bad call.

Feedback Score
    I see what the website says about the limitations of the new app.

Can I still answer with my car? Or must I press on my phone even though it streams the sound over my car's speakers.

Does it allow me to auto forward to my sim's number or must it then only work with data?

Can I switch wifi calling on and off to allow me to use the old features when I do have good cellular service?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score
    Most of the time it's seems about as good as a cellular call. It uses VOIP codec so it's way better than hangouts. Hangouts was so bad I was ready to start paying for cellular again until I applied for GV beta. But it occasionally has a couple glitches. I don't understand why they can't make it as good as other apps. I guess because it goes across carriers and networks to any working number including landlines.
    Totally agree.

Hangouts was horrible for voice calls.Totally embarrassing calling friends, and never used it for any business type call (had to use real cellular service for that). Latency was really bad (talking over each other all the time), and sometimes the garbled sound. And yes, I have a great WiFi connection with cable (200M ) and good router with updated DD-WRT firmware. I still use Hangouts for my other G00gle accounts for texting, but not for voice. All those that think it's good, need to be on the other end of a caller using Hangouts.

Switched to the GV beta 6-8 months ago and it was 10x better. Latency was all but gone and call quality was miles ahead. There is still a problem every once in a while, but ~95%+ of the time, it's perfect (or at least acceptable).

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score
    I see what the website says about the limitations of the new app.

Can I still answer with my car? Or must I press on my phone even though it streams the sound over my car's speakers.

Does it allow me to auto forward to my sim's number or must it then only work with data?

Can I switch wifi calling on and off to allow me to use the old features when I do have good cellular service?
    The beta is the exact same app that everyone has now. By getting in the beta, it just unlocks a feature that is already in the app. You don't change to a new "beta G00le Voice app" .

So, yes, you can just switch it back to using "cellular preferred" instead of "data/WiFi preferred" and it would be exactly like you have it now.

If they are still accepting people in the beta???

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    UGH. What is this now, 8 months I've been waiting?!
    Did you ever post about that on Google Voice Help?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Did you click "Fill out this form"? When I do it says "You've Already Responded"
    Yup, same here.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Did you ever post about that on Google Voice Help?
    Yup, got "Beta selection is random/rolling out slowly/wait your turn/blahblahblah".

At this point I'm sure I won't get it 'till it goes live everywhere.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    Yup, got "Beta selection is random/rolling out slowly/wait your turn/blahblahblah".
    Just weird. I don't recall others that applied not getting in.

I even recall a post somewhere on Google where a request was messed up in the system so the request was deleted so that person could resubmit.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast