Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    You mean if WiFi and mobile data are off, your phone doesn't ring via carrier SIM voice path?
    Not until I go into the gv app (after turning data/wifi back on) and check "carrier only", then I can turn data back off and GV forwarding resumes, text forwarding works the same as before regardless.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yuck! I'm not sure I like that either. Since I don't have GV app incoming calls via data working, I didn't cross that bridge yet.

I guess the problem is that if GV rang the phone via both data (VoIP) and carrier voice paths, that would be an issue - so how would they resolve that issue without some complex logic of routing the call down both paths and deciding which should ring the app and carry the call?

I think I'd prefer the option to just keep things they way they are now with GV app forwarding to carrier voice and Hangouts covering the data path like you . If we get to keep the option to switch between GV data and SIM calls, that should satisfy us all, I would think

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Not until I go into the gv app (after turning data/wifi back on) and check "carrier only".

Cheers!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    so how would they resolve that issue without some complex logic of routing the call down both paths and deciding which should ring the app?
    The prefer WiFi/data option should fall back to carrier voice if the device is not reachable via IP address (SIP).

I would expect the app to be in contact with the server to monitor status, but even if not it's less than a second to ping the device, fail, then route to carrier number.

Looked earlier and others have incoming issues too. The are several posts about it. One thing is the options aren't clear. I forget the setting but it actually enables the device and not just what it implies.

One suggestion was delete all forwarded numbers/devices on the web site, then setup just one device through the app.

I'm not in the beta to test. Probably should, but don't have much time to mess with it right now.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 04-14-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Feedback Score
    Yuck! I'm not sure I like that either. Since I don't have GV app incoming calls via data working, I didn't cross that bridge yet.

I guess the problem is that if GV rang the phone via both data (VoIP) and carrier voice paths, that would be an issue - so how would they resolve that issue without some complex logic of routing the call down both paths and deciding which should ring the app and carry the call?

I think I'd prefer the option to just keep things they way they are now with GV app forwarding to carrier voice and Hangouts covering the data path like you . If we get to keep the option to switch between GV data and SIM calls, that should satisfy us all, I would think
    Technically it's the same, just cumbersome. In my case though I rarely if ever answered the Hangouts because like I said I have unlimited minutes, but the Hangouts incoming came in handy once when I was broken down at a hotel in bfe that has zero at&t coverage (Verizon only) but full WiFi, I didn't have to change any settings, calls simply came through Hangouts, I'm so stubborn.... But this is beta, so who knows what the final product will be. I'm basically of the mindset that I only want to use VoIP calling if I need to and to be able to switch on the fly owing to the fact I have unlimited at&t minutes via net10.

Feedback Score

With Hangouts and carrier ringing at the same time I know some people are annoyed because 2 ring tones, but 99% of the time my phone is muted anyway and the pop up windows for both carrier and hangouts were the same size if both simultaneously ringing, if it was a WiFi Hangouts only call the pop up would fill the entire screen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The prefer WiFi/data option should fall back to carrier voice if the device is not reachable via IP address (SIP).

I would expect the app to be in contact with the server to monitor status, but even if not it's less than a second to ping the device, fail, then route to carrier number.

Looked earlier and others have incoming issues too. The are several posts about it. One thing is the options are clear. I forget the setting but it actually enables the device and not just what it implies.

One suggestion was delete all forwarded numbers/devices on the web site, then setup just one device through the app.

I'm not in the beta to test. Probably should, but don't have much time to mess with it right now.
    Interesting, maybe I'm missing a setting. I assumed at a technical level that VoIP over the GV app and Hangouts app were basically identical.

Feedback Score
    Also if you have "carrier only" checked in the app, you can't even make an outgoing VoIP call, even inside the GV app dialer, it defaults to the carrier even if you have Data/wifi... Only way around it is to manually uncheck carrier and check "wifi/data". Perhaps some of this will get resolved after beta testing, in my opinion this app is made for Wi-Fi or data only sim people. Mixing carrier numbers seems way to cumbersome.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With Hangouts and carrier ringing at the same time I know some people are annoyed because 2 ring tones, but 99% of the time my phone is muted anyway and the pop up windows for both carrier and hangouts were the same size if both simultaneously ringing, if it was a WiFi Hangouts only call the pop up would fill the entire screen.
    If your phone rarely rings it's a minor nuisance. When your phone rings often it becomes a pain. I mentioned this earlier. I have a softphone on the pc. When I'm home I mostly take calls on it unless i'm outside or in the garage. It's quite annoying when i'm in a call and another call comes in. On the pc I can just click the reject or ignore button, but silencing the phone is more difficult unless it's within reach. Having both ring can cause confusion. More so, it's yet to be determined how well gv wifi calling works with BT.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Also if you have "carrier only" checked in the app, you can't even make an outgoing VoIP call,
    I'd expect "carrier only" to only use the carrier.

But "prefer" means use wifi/data if available but fall back to carrier when not.

The beta may not be there yet, but that what I expect in the end.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    How does Hangouts on a PC browser shut itself down?
    It used to ring anytime someone called my google voice number. Now it no longer rings, and when I try to open the program/app/chrome extension- on the pc it says try again, I click that try again button and it just shuts down- goes away, closes.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I hope these are just beta issues and that Google isn't trying to become even more "Apple-like" and dictate behavior, with no user choice!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I hope these are just beta issues and that Google isn't trying to become even more "Apple-like" and dictate behavior, with no user choice!
    Google is just as evil, I think that's pretty much universal by now, is sad when you can make Apple look somewhat less monopolistic. And there is no "choice" with Google, they already own your communications.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Google is just as evil, I think that's pretty much universal by now, is sad when you can make Apple look somewhat less monopolistic. And there is no "choice" with Google, they already own your communications.

I wasn't saying either is evil. Maybe arrogant, by taking away user choices. But that remains to be seen in this case with Google/GV. It's still in beta. We'll have to wait to see how it ends up after it's out of beta.

Feedback Score
    woohoo! got the beta voip working in the web version of GV in chrome on my computer. a right side panel slides out for dialing calls and for answering calls. no more of the hangouts web popup. finally now gotten RID of the gawd awful hangouts on both my android phone and in the GV web version on my computer. INCOMING CALLS ARE RINGING ON BOTH MY PHONE AND IN THE WEB VERSION OF GV. yea!!!

oh, went into the GV legacy settings in the browser on my computer and saw the really long alphabet-gobblygook SIP address for both my android phone (labelled automatically as the model name/number of my phone) and for "WEB Client" for the GV web version in the browser on the computer. if you are not sure those are really checked in the (incoming) calls section of the settings in android and in the web, then go into the web and just make sure both of those settings in the GV legacy settings are set for the phones with the really long alphabet-gobblygook SIP addresses are checked to ensure that your incoming calls all ring.

google must be using their own google SIP to get the voip calls to work and to make incoming calls ring on each and every call. google is taking the lesson learned by smarter users who use a SIP on their obihai devices to make sure ALL GV incoming calls do ring. (but you apparently cannot use these new google SIP addresses in a obihai because it probably uses a separate passcode that google won't tell you what it is???)

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    OK.... I got my PC to at least open hangouts when a call to GV comes in. But it is a silent notification. My sound is on. Still trying to figure it out. I had to go to hangouts.google.com and redownload hangouts for chrome on windows 10. So it is working, just not ringing...... Just tried again and now the sounds work. So finally my PC is working again when a call comes in on my GV number.

Still trying to figure out why GV wifi calling just shut down hangouts on my PC. But now it is working fine!!

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 59 ... LastLast