Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Apparently Google Voice still cannot be set as the default application for either phone or texting. For my application, this is fine because I use GV as a second line, to make a two line phone. I do wish I could have Google Assistant send a text message through GV, but it will not. It is still much better than it used to be, and better than my personal experience with Hangouts, although I have not used Hangouts since Google enabled MMS from GV.

@Boz1 your experience with Hangouts for VIOP is much better than mine ever was.

At the price point of $0USD, it is hard to complain about how any of this works when it works more or less.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, I understand it's free, and I like the flexibility GV / Hangouts provides me.

It just seems ridiculous that #1 and #2 are even an issue with the GV app at all, ESPECIALLY when those things work perfectly in the Hangouts app.

I often wonder how this product would have developed and matured if GrandCentral would have never sold to Google. Oh, well...

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I dunno. GrandCentral would have never had the resources Google has. When Hangouts was a primary application, I could send texts by voice with it. Now I can't, nor can I with GV, I do not get it. As good as GV has become, it is not where is was a few years ago. However, when Hangouts was a primary application, I couldn't use a feature phone as a forwarding phone for text messaging, but now I can. I guess everything is a trade off.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Have there been any improvements to the GV app lately?

Below are the things about the GV app that keep me using Hangouts, which still works perfectly for me.

But since Hangouts will probably eventually be changed by Google, perhaps to the extent that I'll need to switch to the GV app, I'm still very interested in getting the GV app to work properly for my uses.

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too.

2) On any of the three phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the SimpleNote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app on some devices compared to Hangouts, enough to be an annoyance on devices that don't have the best earpiece volume.
    I was thinking more about this, and realized I had forgotten one more GV app issue.

4) When any of my devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow works correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

I know I and others have already said it, but it's almost unbelievable that these issues even existed at all in the "new" GV app, let alone remain!

I sure wish Google would hurry up and fix these GV app issues!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Set to silent or do not disturb is on?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    It's the setting that makes the device silent except for alarms.

I just looked in Settings, and under Sound, it shows "Ringer set to silent".

I guess I'm not sure what the difference is between "Ringer set to silent" and "Do not disturb" is. Apparently I never use "Do not disturb".

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They got rid of the old silent setting in MM or N (forget which).

Do Not Disturb works differently and has setting to allow certain apps to come through in certain cases.

Like allow calls from contacts, or starred contacts only.

If I just turn the ringer volume down, I can get vibrate only.

If I'm in vibrate only. The GV causes vibrate and opens answer screen.

In DND priority only, calls from contacts enabled it even rings.

Other 2 DND settings I get notification icon for a few rings then missed call.

That's with screen on.

Screen off/locked is the same except the lost one, Alarms only/total silence which doesn't wake the phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's the setting that makes the device silent except for alarms.
    Apparently I never use "Do not disturb".
    Actually that is DND.

You get a disk with a line across the middle on notification bar with DND.

The old silent setting would show the vibrate only logo or a speaker with diagonal line (if vibrate off).

The vibrate only still exits, but not the silent, no vibrate unless you use DND.

Also no longer a separate volume setting for notifications (looks like Samsung and LG continue to allow, or use an app like Volume Butler)

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have the same issue as Boz1, on Android 7.0, when the phone is set to silent, not DND.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    I have the same issue as Boz1, on Android 7.0, when the phone is set to silent, not DND.
    7.0 doesn't have a "silent" setting. That was my point later.

So what are you doing to set to "silent"?

I explained what setting do what with GV rings on my phone.

A 3rd party app may be needed to get what you want.

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Except, it does. LG Fiesta 2, Android 7.0:

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-23-16-37-15.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  16.3 KB

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

On my stock Nougat 7.1.1 Moto E4 XT1768, in Settings, and under Sound, it shows "Ringer set to silent".

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On my stock Nougat 7.1.1 Moto E4 XT1768, in Settings, and under Sound, it shows "Ringer set to silent".
    Mine says that when DND is on too.
    But it's more than just a silent ringer.

Google changed android to DND instead of the old modes. And how it works has changed a few times.

Again, DND Priority only allows you to set what can push through. Like messages or calls from contacts or "starred" contacts.

Or you can reduce volume to vibrate mode (per the image above) and it'll vibrate and give answer screen.

My guess is the other apps mentioned use media volume instead of ringer which isn't part of DND (so you can play media and bot be disturbed with notifications)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    Except, it does. LG Fiesta 2, Android 7.0:
    I don't know how that interacts with the OS.

If they didn't disable the stock DND settings, I gave some examples of how GV calls/texts can punch through.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For a couple of weeks now, trying to dial using WiFi on a GV device that doesn't have a carrier on it (a couple of tablets and phones w/o SIMs) gets an error- is this happening to anyone else? I hope this is yet another temporary GV bug (like when all GV calls were speakerphone-only a few weeks back) and not a permanent restriction, as this used to work quite well (I would dial from my tablet all the time, and even have a few handsets strewn across the house to get/make calls on).

I can answer a call that comes thru on my GV number from these devices, I just can no longer make a call from them.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast