Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I was THIS close to getting a TF iPhone SE for $95.99 including 60 days of service,
    Too bad you missed out on that deal. I got a brand new Verizon branded iPhone SE off swappa for $135. I'm definitely an Android guy but my car's usb port only works with iOS. Grrrrr. So I got the SE just so I could stream music thru my car's sound system not using bluetooth. The difference in sound quality between using bluetooth (Android) and streaming music via the usb port (iPhone) is night and day.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    When you checked were your settings set for use WiFi only or carrier only?
    Prefer wifi and data. There's no setting in Android for only wifi or only data.

But, since I had a good daya connection it was used. Definitely not using cellular voice.

Last night I updated to 2019.14.2240805279 and tested again just now. Speaker phone still works. Turned it off and on a few time during the test call.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 04-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    ST Dog, did you get your latest update through the automatic (or simply notified/manually accepted) Play method or other?

Just asking because I just got an update two days ago and it only went up to 2019.11.xxx.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Too bad you missed out on that deal. I got a brand new Verizon branded iPhone SE off swappa for $135. I'm definitely an Android guy but my car's usb port only works with iOS. Grrrrr. So I got the SE just so I could stream music thru my car's sound system not using bluetooth. The difference in sound quality between using bluetooth (Android) and streaming music via the usb port (iPhone) is night and day.
    Depends on the BT profile/CODEC in use. aptX and aptX-HD sound a lot better than SBC

The limit could be either the phone or the car's head unit.

Might be worth trying BT on the iPhone SE to see how it sounds. While no aptX, they do offer AAC over A2DP.

On many Androids you can specify the codex used. Enable developer options. Connect to you head unit, in developer options find bluetooth audio codec. (Sadly my Moto E4+ doesn't list the option, at least not when not connected)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    ST Dog, did you get your latest update through the automatic (or simply notified/manually accepted) Play method or other?
    Notified. I check on updates most evenings when I get home to wifi.

I forgot Monday, so it could have been Mon or Tue for notification. Looks to have been released Fri.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Might be worth trying BT on the iPhone SE to see how it sounds. While no aptX, they do offer AAC over A2DP.

On many Androids you can specify the codex used. Enable developer options. Connect to you head unit, in developer options find bluetooth audio codec. (Sadly my Moto E4+ doesn't list the option, at least not when not connected)
    Thanks. I guess my feeling has always been that Bluetooth uses a compression algorithm (aptX HD uses 4:1 "gentle" compression) and compression always introduces hiss and fuzz into the audio stream. It might be undetectable to most people but it's there.

Indeed, under developer options I have all kinds of Bluetooth codecs to choose from (including LDAC) although I doubt my head unit will support them. But I will sure give it a try. Thanks for the heads up on this. I will also try your suggestion on the iPhone SE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Both aptX and aptX HD do 4:1 compression. But HF has higher bandwidth, 24b/48kHz @ 576kbps vs 16b/44.1kHz @ 352k.

But I don't know of any head units that support HD yet. Maybe with a BT RCVR plugged into an AUX port?

My vehicles have too much road noise to even notice the differences. I listen to FM or satellite most of the time anyway.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @ ST Dog: Just got my 2019.14.2408xxxx update, so I know I'm on track now.

Feedback Score
    How can you say Google to call the number that in contacts on one website page. For example here https://republicapro.com/. It just keep saying that I dont know how to help with that. Confusing.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Have there been any improvements to the GV app lately?

Below are the things about the GV app that keep me using Hangouts, which still works perfectly for me.

But since Hangouts will probably eventually be changed by Google, perhaps to the extent that I'll need to switch to the GV app, I'm still very interested in getting the GV app to work properly for my uses.

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too.

2) On any of the three phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the SimpleNote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app on some devices compared to Hangouts, enough to be an annoyance on devices that don't have the best earpiece volume.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No change to 1 or 2 yet.
    I didn't notice 3.

I'm befuddled that 1 and 2 were ever an issue let alone remain.

But I only use messaging, with voice as a backup (not needed since getting VoLTE)

Feedback Score
    #2 - By chance does it matter which app is set as default within GV settings?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by good4life View Post
    #2 - By chance does it matter which app is set as default within GV settings?
    I don't think so, because I don't have any app set as default. I choose each time I initiate a call from a phone # link.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't think so, because I don't have any app set as default. I choose each time I initiate a call from a phone # link.
    Sorry but I meant within GV?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by good4life View Post
    Sorry but I meant within GV?
    I guess I'm not following what you're asking.

On my phone I see: Settings>Apps>Voice>Open by default>No defaults set

Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast