Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks taoman54 for the emphasis on the Obi device use implications. I'll be waiting in the wings for this to evolve, which I expect it will.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I know this info was in the original post, but THANK YOU for posting it again!
    Well, the OP said incoming would stop but it wasn't stated that you couldn't just turn off the new setting and Obi work again.

That's it pretty significant.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Well, the OP said incoming would stop but it wasn't stated that you couldn't just turn off the new setting and Obi work again.

That's it pretty significant.
    Indeed! That's why I made the post.

Feedback Score
    From the email kencrudup received, it says "To enable Wi-Fi calling on your Android device, go to Settings > Make & receive calls and select Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data. On the Web, Wi-Fi calling will be turned on automatically."
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ...... I'll post a screenshot sometime tomorrow if someone doesn't do it before me.
    I was going to post a screenshot of the "On the Web, Wi-Fi calling will be turned on automatically.", but don't see any Wi-Fi calling setting under https://voice.google.com/settings on my Windows 10 PC Chrome browser

Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    For those who are participating in the beta, who is using a gmail account vs a google apps account with Google Voice?
    I'm using my gmail account.
    Cheers!

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone been able to get incoming calls to work over WiFi or mobile data? I can make outbound calls just fine, but incoming calls only ring on my computer. I turned off the Hangouts feature... Or does it take a little time before it starts working (only been about 15 minutes)?
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    I just tried now after seeing your post. Disabled Hangouts incoming calls, dialed my GV number with just WiFi enabled in phone, and it didn't ring. GV app did show missed call notification after I hung up the calling phone - but no incoming notification means we still need Hangouts - unless we didn't wait long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Has anyone been able to get incoming calls to work over WiFi or mobile data? I can make outbound calls just fine, but incoming calls only ring on my computer. I turned off the Hangouts feature... Or does it take a little time before it starts working (only been about 15 minutes)?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    I just tried now after seeing your post. Disabled Hangouts incoming calls, dialed my GV number with just WiFi enabled in phone, and it didn't ring. GV app did show missed call notification after I hung up the calling phone - but no incoming notification means we still need Hangouts - unless we didn't wait long enough.
    That is exactly what I get as well.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Mines been up for 24 hours more or less. Incoming calls are hit or miss. Sometimes it rings, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it rings once and then drops. I guess it's called beta for a reason...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    I'm using a regular Gmail account.
    I'm using my gmail account.
    Thank you both. I'm on a google apps account. Given the feature parity/disparity between the two types of accounts in the past, I thought this beta might not be available to both types. While I didn't receive a confirmation email, I'm glad to report that as of this afternoon, my GV app displays the options for WiFi calling.

So far I've only made one call. I didn't have any latency issues. I did have a couple of very short "breakups". Audio quality was good for me.

These aren't necessarily complaints, just things I noticed in my call, and I could be wrong:
    * When placing a call over WiFi, it only works within the app, and not from the standard dialer (the GV app states this in the settings).
    * There doesn't appear to be a way to look at your list of all contacts and choose whom to dial from there. You are limited to the options available to you within the GV app itself, which is to use the dialpad, or select a person in your recently called list, or to look at your texts and choose to dial a person from that list.
    * Volume, whether on speakerphone or not, was much louder than I would have wanted, even if I turned it down to the lowest setting. This could be my phone, however my standard dialer doesn't have this issue.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My account was enabled earlier this evening.

Some preliminary results:

Google chat is still available and can be enabled/disabled on the legacy site.

Forwarding referencing the GV app shows up as this in the legacy site:

It's a lengthy sip uri ending in "@voice.sip.google.com". Domain does not seem to resolve so I can't just dial the sip uri directly.

From earlier, this account is also configured in my freepbx pbx. Account is configured using oauth2 using my own custom client_id, secret, and refresh token.

When forwarding to the moto g4 play is enabled, inbound calls DO NOT ring the pbx.
    When forwarding to the moto g4 play is DISABLED, inbound calls DO ring the pbx.

Bandwidth: ~40kbps/ch, so 80kbps in both directions. Probably slightly less as this is measured directly at the firewall and includes overhead.

No tcpdump/wireshark results yet.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    but don't see any Wi-Fi calling setting under https://voice.google.com/settings on my Windows 10 PC Chrome browser
    ... but you wouldn't, would you? A desktop browser is presumably always connected to the Internet, and wouldn't have any way to make calls on it's "own".

Before, clicking the "Phone" icon on voice.google.com site would ask you which GV-registered phone you'd want GV to call you on first to complete the call. On my (Gmail, not GApps, BTW) now-WiFi-enabled GV account, voice.google.com now asks for the "Use Microphone" permission and will try to make the call right there in the browser. (I should say "allegedly", as I didn't let it complete the calling process 'cause I have nobody I really want to call right now- what is this, 2008? )
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post

Google chat is still available and can be enabled/disabled on the legacy site.
    But are you able to check whether enabling/disabling Google chat on the legacy site is actually doing anything?
    For instance, when forwarding to moto g4 is DISABLED does it make any difference having Google chat checked or unchecked as far as incoming calls ringing your pbx?

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    When forwarding to the moto g4 play is enabled, inbound calls DO NOT ring the pbx.
    When forwarding to the moto g4 play is DISABLED, inbound calls DO ring the pbx.
    So forwarding to your Android seems to be the deciding factor on whether incoming calls ring your pbx?
    Not when Google chat is checked or unchecked?
    And not when you when you choose "Use carrier only" or "Prefer WiFi and mobile data" in GV app settings?

Thanks for posting your results. Appreciate the input.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    But are you able to check whether enabling/disabling Google chat on the legacy site is actually doing anything?
    For instance, when forwarding to moto g4 is DISABLED does it make any difference having Google chat checked or unchecked as far as incoming calls ringing your pbx?
    Toggling google chat on the legacy has a direct effect on whether or not the pbx receives the call.
    Assuming moto g4 play is unchecked.

google chat Unchecked == no inbound calls to the pbx
    google chat Checked == calls are received by the pbx

Moto g4 play checked overrides the above and calls are only received on the moto g4 play & any forwarded numbers.

So forwarding to your Android seems to be the deciding factor on whether incoming calls ring your pbx?
    Not when Google chat is checked or unchecked?
    Correct, forwarding to android/google voice takes priority over google chat toggle setting.

One other tidbit. If forwarding to the moto g4 play is checked, but phone is offline (airplane mode) then call comes into the pbx.

And not when you when you choose "Use carrier only" or "Prefer WiFi and mobile data" in GV app settings?
    I can't say for sure. Sim is fp/data only. Someone else will have to test that variation. I'm not migrating my main gv account to this any time soon. I need gv to function as it is now on the pbx without any surprises. Who knows, the results above could all be null and void once the beta testing is complete and final code is pushed to gv.

Feedback Score
    Very disappointed, as bad as hangouts is, at least you can select each device you individually, for instance on my phone I have unlimited talk via my carrier, it'd be silly to use VoIP, but on 2 other phones I play with and my tablet, they're data only so it looks like I can't get incoming calls Via the GV VoIP app on those and Google forwarding on my phone... Good thing I didn't expect much from Google or rely on them for communications.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I am using 3 Android devices, one of which has an assigned Sprint carrier phone number (Freedompop), and the other 2 data only SIM cards. Each of the devices has G Voice app installed, and each shows up individually in "Incoming calls/My devices". Each can be separately enabled or disabled to ring for incoming calls. And at least for me, they are ringing consistently on incoming.

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast