Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    I have a line on cricket that has exceeded its monthly data allotment and is throttled at 128 kbps. I have placed some VOIP calls on this line and it works just fine, audio is good, very low latency. I think they might have a winner.

Feedback Score
    I have a phone which was dialing fine with Google Voice app using mobile data or WiFi. Suddenly it keeps saying "Can't connect your call.. .." when I try dialing from Google Voice app. Rebooting didn't help. I tried with just WiFi or just mobile data - still not working.

Hangouts dials out fine. Carrier calling works fine too.

A second phone hasn't exhibited this oddity yet, but I only made WiFi calls with that phone.

Feedback Score
    More weirdness with Google Voice app :
    I dialed the time announcement number using Google Voice app with WiFi, press the speaker phone button, then after hearing the time announcement I hit the red button in the Google Voice dialer to terminate the call. I could still hear the time being announced through the ear speaker, so the call was still in progress and no indication of that in the app or notification area. Only way I could see to terminate the call was to force stop the Google Voice app - then audio stopped out of the ear speaker.

I tested this and got the same result several times - I wonder if the other end could have heard me after I supposedly ended the call by pressing the red button if this was a two way conversation.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    That would be an interesting test. Since you're a "techy" type would you be willing and/or able to run Wireshark and try and figure out the signaling protocol they're using? I strongly doubt it's straight SIP and I'm sure it isn't XMPP. My guess is it will be something proprietary like Hangouts uses.
    Should be doable. The firewall cli has tcpdump installed, so maybe capture a minute or so of data then run it through wireshark. For now still waiting for it to be enabled on the test account.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    so the call was still in progress and no indication of that in the app or notification area. Only way I could see to terminate the call was to force stop the Google Voice app - then audio stopped out of the ear speaker.
    I've only made one call, and they didn't answer so I'm assuming it hung up OK for me ... but keep on the lookout for this ... it could potentially get people in some really hot water! :O
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Feedback Score
    Just like typical software bugs this issue is not happening now - the two time announcement test calls I made ended correctly when I hung up.

And the previous issue I reported about not being able to make a GV call with WiFi or data has been observed on my second phone - and somehow eventually fixes itself.

I think this is all definitely a work in progress based on my experience so far .

Looking forward to a new release with some bug fixes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    I've only made one call, and they didn't answer so I'm assuming it hung up OK for me ... but keep on the lookout for this ... it could potentially get people in some really hot water! :O

Feedback Score
    I'm curious what was in the email if you or anyone could post a copy or text from it. I still haven't received a copy though I was able to enable the setting for WiFi/data preferred calling.

Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    No. I got the email and when I went into settings the option to enable wifi/data calling was there. My apk updated a couple of days ago but the option wasn't there then. I'll upload a screenshot of the settings menu in a bit.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious what was in the email if you or anyone could post a copy or text from it.
    This is the E-mail I got:

Wi-Fi calling is now available for your account!

To enable Wi-Fi calling on your Android device, go to Settings > Make & receive calls and select Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data. On the Web, Wi-Fi calling will be turned on automatically.

Note: If you can’t see this setting on your Android device, please update the Google Voice app to the latest version and wait 4 hours before trying again.

Known Issues

Obihai devices won’t work if you enable calling over Wi-Fi (e.g. Incoming calls won’t ring your Obihai phone if you turn on calling over Wi-Fi and mobile data)
    You won’t be able to use incoming call options (call recording & call transfer) when you enable calling over Wi-Fi and mobile data
    On your computer, Wi-Fi calling only work with Chrome. Support for Firefox, Safari and Edge coming soon
    Android bluetooth support:
    You won't be able to use the buttons on your bluetooth device to answer calls or hang up
    Unable to use earpiece mode when a bluetooth device is paired
    Depending on your Android version, your calls might drop if you try to switch between Bluetooth and speakerphone
    Submitting Feedback

Call quality: When you see the prompt after each call, please rate your call quality
    General feedback: Use the in-app feedback option (Menu > Help & feedback > Send feedback)
    Best,
    The Google Voice team

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thought you guys with OBi devices would want to read this. From a Google Voice volunteer support person who communicates directly with Google engineers.

Opting in to the beta permanently kills forwarding to Chat. There's no way to re-enable it or opt-out. PSTN forwarding isn't changed when opting-in, except for forwarding to Android smartphones, which switches over to pure VoIP.
    This means if you opt in to the beta your OBi device will no longer work with Google Voice (at least for incoming) and there's no going back!

Edit: It appears outgoing calls thru the OBi continue to work even after opting in to the beta. It's just forwarding to Google Chat that would no longer work. That means if you forward to a VoIP provider (like Callcentric) instead of Google Chat things will continue to function as before.
    But for how long?
    Last edited by taoman; 04-10-2018 at 11:51 PM. Reason: New information

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lol.. I'm still waiting on approval

Feedback Score
    I was able to enable the Make and Receive Calls - Prefer WiFi and mobile data setting, but never received the email confirmation. Anyone else?

Maybe just check your GV app daily to see if you have the option to change the setting.

Or I suppose if it's easier, you could check the GV web settings page for the WiFi calling setting which the email says will automatically get turned on. I'll post a screeshot sometime tomorrow if someone doesn't do it before me.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Lol.. I'm still waiting on approval

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    If WiFi and mobile data are enabled, it's not indicated to me by the Google Voice app which option it's using as it just says "Internet" - unless I missed something. I assume it will use WiFi if both are available.
    Same as any other app. The phone/OS routes internet traffic to WiFi or cellular data.

Should work just like Hangouts does and prefer wifi.

Feedback Score
    For those who are participating in the beta, who is using a gmail account vs a google apps account with Google Voice?

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    For those who are participating in the beta, who is using a gmail account vs a google apps account with Google Voice?
    I'm using a regular Gmail account.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    Thought you guys with OBi devices would want to read this. From a Google Voice volunteer support person who communicates directly with Google engineers.

This means if you opt in to the beta your OBi device will no longer work with Google Voice (at least for incoming) and there's no going back!

Edit: It appears outgoing calls thru the OBi continue to work even after opting in to the beta. It's just forwarding to Google Chat that would no longer work. That means if you forward to a VoIP provider (like Callcentric) instead of Google Chat things will continue to function as before.
    But for how long?
    I know this info was in the original post, but THANK YOU for posting it again! I sure don't want to screw up my home phones using an Obi200!

For me, Hangouts on my cell phone and tablet, using my two GV #s, is working great, as is my Obi200 setup at home, and I don't want to do anything that will screw that up!

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast