Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    We need some more feedback from those on att and att mvno's. Are you able to place a call using gv over and using LTE?

I ran into the same issue on freedompop. I don't have any other carriers to test with at this time.

EDIT: More research suggests att is using carrier grade NAT on their prepaid and mvno's data connections (not sure if this applies to post paid). Still doesn't explain why calling in hangouts works.
    I have been using GV on FreedomPop AT&T LTE with no issue exclusively for a little over a month. For the most part, it works just fine. I have noticed sometimes calls do not come in and I cannot call out. I close the app and put it in Airplane mode for a second. Then I relaunch the app. Then it starts working again. I have been attributing it to some power save issue, but maybe it is related to what some are experiencing too.

FreedomPop uses "fp.com.attz" as its APN instead of the normal APN MVNOs normally use, "RESELLER". I would say this may be an issue, but you are having issues too.

I am going to run some tests using the app you recommended when it happens again. Is there anything you suggest for me to do to help?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Yup, that works for me too for a little bit until it doesn't. Not really an acceptable solution. I suppose you'll know you missed a call because an email notification will come in.

I don't think it's power savings. I originally discovered this issue when trying to connect to my l2tp/ipsec vpn. Most times it failed to connect, sometimes it did. Close review of the logs revealed what I discussed in previous posts.

What really surprises me, even when connected via the openvpn vpn, gv still seems to route via the native connection and ultimately fail.

Ultimately, I suppose this is really an issue for those who have data only plans on their phones. When on wifi everything works correctly. Hopefully they'll keep hangouts alive until this gets fully resolved.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Certainly appears to be AT&T, but only for MVNOs.
    FWIW, I'm on Straight Talk AT&T on the Google account and phone that actually did get GV WiFi calling when the Beta first started (my main device didn't, and still hasn't, as I guess the rollout is still in stages) and I've had reliable incoming and outgoing GV VoIP calls since the beginning.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    I was an early beta tester as well and I used GV VOIP on Cricket from the beginning of the beta. I used it along with my regular number as a two line phone and it worked very well. I moved over to FirstNet in October and have continued the two line phone operation, with unanswered FirstNet calls going to my GV number for the wifi capability since FirstNet doesn't have wifi calling yet. Unfortunately I never miss calls, because I would rather not be bothered to be honest but I'm still a few months out from retirement...

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    Straight Talk AT&T on the Google account ... GV WiFi calling when the Beta first started and I've had reliable incoming and outgoing GV VoIP calls since the beginning.
    So it may be specific APNs.

Interesting issue all around.

BTW, the beta is by account not device.
    You can sign I with multiple Google accounts on one device. (And multiple devices can use any given account)

Prior to my son joining the beta, I had it in my account . I could switch between accounts and see the setting change.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-31-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have two separate handsets with a separate Google account for each, and neither the twain shall meet.

Signed up both the same day and time, one got it in three days or so, the other never did.

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    Quick update: My account that was half-enabled now has Wi-Fi calling in the web client. In a different account, it looks like it's going to be enabled soon:

Name:  gvbeta.png
Views: 187
Size:  31.2 KB

Device(s)
    LG X1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just looked at my wife's phone and wifi calling is not yet available.. The GV app updated two days ago..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I just looked at my wife's phone and wifi calling is not yet available.. The GV app updated two days ago..
    Whats the GV current version that she has?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand, it's a server-side change so any GV version at least as new as last April or so (when the first Beta testers were able to do it) should be ready to go, once they enable it for your account.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    From what I understand, it's a server-side change so any GV version
    Correct.

The app version doesn't matter as long as reasonably up-to-date.

Why anyone would be months out of date is beyond me. It's not like some big revision that changed major functions like some apps gave seen. I use or have used old versions because of changed/lost functionality, but GV isn't one of those.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 02-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I currently have Wi-Fi calling with GV from a few versions ago, but I just today got an update to 2019.05.230825622, and the UI has been tweaked with some different font looks and maybe a few other things (haven't fully checked it out yet).

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I having a problem with no ringback tone the past 2-3 days.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    just today got an update to 2019.05.230825622
    That version was released the 25th. I think the look/layout is an improvement but it's minor changes.

Not as bad as some other recent cosmetic changes (FB Messenger).

And certainly not the functional losses like Tapatalk a few years back or Apex launcher a few months ago.

Device(s)
    LG X1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    Whats the GV current version that she has?
    not sure, but we both have the same one.. I was on the beta program though and she was not.

Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast