Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So...has anybody received the VoIP calling feature that didn't already have it through the beta yet?

I realize that it's only Tuesday, but I'm getting anxious to try it!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nothing here. Not sure your experience will be all that great (on freedompop) if its subject to the same issues as att/cricket/lte.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Nothing here. Not sure your experience will be all that great (on freedompop) if its subject to the same issues as att/cricket/lte.
    I can only hope. Hangouts works very well for me with FP AT&T LTE SIMs. We'll see. This is why I got a new GV # to test the new GV app VoIP functionality when it becomes available before switching my primary GV #s away from Hangouts.

Have the att/cricket/lte issues you referenced been documented/discussed somewhere online?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I thought I saw a link to a reddit comment. As luck would have it, I didn't save the link nor can I find it now. There was a post in the cricket section about voip getting blocked. The title isn't exactly correct, but the end result is the same.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...k-VOIP-calling

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I thought I saw a link to a reddit comment. As luck would have it, I didn't save the link nor can I find it now. There was a post in the cricket section about voip getting blocked. The title isn't exactly correct, but the end result is the same.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...k-VOIP-calling
    Well, that's certainly concerning! I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I get GV app VoIP enabled!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To best demonstrate this I ran a simple port scan using my cricket lte connection to my home internet IP (123.123.123.123).

Review the attached pdfs. This is output from my firewall which blocks all inbound connections. The first table is sorted by the destination port.

Note the significant variance in the source IP for each port. The 2nd pdf (_2) is the same data but sorted by the source IP rather than destination port.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Edit, and here's the rub. GV/hangouts uses ports 19302 to 19309, along with 80 and 443.

So it's no wonder things aren't working right with connections coming from all over the place. Here's a scan of ports 19302 to 19309.

Here's the kicker, I'm able to make and receive calls using hangouts over LTE with no issue. This suggests hangouts might be falling back to some other mechanism to establish the call and/or maintain the connection.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Googlevoice..._cricket_data/

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Edit, and here's the rub. GV/hangouts uses ports 19302 to 19309, along with 80 and 443.

So it's no wonder things aren't working right with connections coming from all over the place. Here's a scan of ports 19302 to 19309.

Here's the kicker, I'm able to make and receive calls using hangouts over LTE with no issue. This suggests hangouts might be falling back to some other mechanism to establish the call and/or maintain the connection.
    Is it possible that it is using that many ports because they are being blocked and fallbacking on another port? Does it do it on WiFi, too?
    What tool are you using?
    I am using FreedomPop and I don't like the idea that AT&T is doing this at all as they can decide to do it elsewhere.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you're missing the point. The issue is not the ports but the originating IP address. IMO for things to work properly there should be a single originating ip, not 2 or more.

Does what do what on wifi? Outbound requests on my wifi only contain a single IP.

I used pingtoolspro for the port scanning (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lspro&hl=en_US) .

I also tried enabling IPv6 in apn settings. Still no go with gv calling over lte.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    There was a post in the cricket section about voip getting blocked.
    And from that thread, Red Pocket on AT&T as well?

Any one try With TF AT&T yet?

Looking like an AT&T restriction.

FWIW, works fine on TW (should be the same as other TF brands on VZW)

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    And from that thread, Red Pocket on AT&T as well?

Any one try With TF AT&T yet?

Looking like an AT&T restriction.

FWIW, works fine on TW (should be the same as other TF brands on VZW)
    I use it on a Verizon Tracfone.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We need some more feedback from those on att and att mvno's. Are you able to place a call using gv over and using LTE?

I ran into the same issue on freedompop. I don't have any other carriers to test with at this time.

EDIT: More research suggests att is using carrier grade NAT on their prepaid and mvno's data connections (not sure if this applies to post paid). Still doesn't explain why calling in hangouts works.
    Last edited by GPz1100; 01-29-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I also use GV via Wi-fi with a Sprint Hotspot.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    We need some more feedback from those on att and att mvno's. Are you able to place a call using gv over and using LTE?

I ran into the same issue on freedompop. I don't have any other carriers to test with at this time.

EDIT: More research suggests att is using carrier grade NAT on their prepaid and mvno's data connections (not sure if this applies to post paid). Still doesn't explain why calling in hangouts works.
    Thankfully for those if us that use GV VoIP for primary mobile communication, GV+Hangouts is still working fine with the AT&T network.

This is a big issue that will severely limit the usefulness of GV VoIP.

Do you know which company is to blame for the apparent AT&T/GV VoIP incompatibilities?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Do you know which company is to blame for the apparent AT&T/GV VoIP incompatibilities?
    Did you follow the discussion?

Certainly appears to be AT&T, but only for MVNOs.

The random IP address changes makes no sense. A given device should appear to have one IP address for the direction if the session.

While Google may be able to eventually work around it they shouldn't have to.

Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast