Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VW June 30th VOLTE only service

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I wonder if Onstar is going to upgrade their Verizon CDMA communications equipment in General Motors made vehicles in the United States. I know they did in Canada or is Onstar going to screw people like they did with the transition to Digital from Analog.
    The newer GM cars with Wifi capability I’m pretty sure use at&t. I thought I read somewhere that Onstar had changed to att. If so I don’t know what year it was.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    If I'm a Verizon sub (I am not) this is great news, and I'm wishing it had been implemented years ago.

With that said, it'll be interesting to see how hard and fast this is applied/enforced. Too, will Verizon make their own self-imposed deadline for shutting CDMA down by the end of 2019!?

We shall see...
    Too many non VoLTE phones to do it earlier. Verizon stopped selling non-LTE basic phones in January. Each quarter the number of non-LTE devices on the network grows smaller. I don't see any issue with them shutting off CDMA at the end of 2019. It needs to be done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Too many non VoLTE phones to do it earlier. Verizon stopped selling non-LTE basic phones in January. Each quarter the number of non-LTE devices on the network grows smaller. I don't see any issue with them shutting off CDMA at the end of 2019. It needs to be done.
    Still need cdma for those reliable 1x calls. They can keep that on narrow channels. LTE isnt everywhere in the country so it would make sense

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    LTE isnt everywhere in the country so it would make sense
    I'm pretty sure Verizon has LTE on every tower. Sometimes the CDMA reaches a little farther, but Verizon doesn't have any large areas without LTE like AT&T does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    I'm pretty sure Verizon has LTE on every tower. Sometimes the CDMA reaches a little farther, but Verizon doesn't have any large areas without LTE like AT&T does.
    I can’t imagine a 3G only tower at this point. Can you imagine the saturation? It would be useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I can’t imagine a 3G only tower at this point. Can you imagine the saturation? It would be useless.

I can imagine it because Verizon still has a few 1x only sites in rural Nevada, and they show up on the official VZW coverage map still. They better hurry up and upgrade these sites to LTE before the shutdown, or maybe they are planning on abandoning these sites? I don't think they would, but you never know what VZW is up to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    I can imagine it because Verizon still has a few 1x only sites in rural Nevada, and they show up on the official VZW coverage map still. They better hurry up and upgrade these sites to LTE before the shutdown, or maybe they are planning on abandoning these sites? I don't think they would, but you never know what VZW is up to.
    I mean if the sites are not economically feasible anymore...maybe population growth they were expecting didn’t pan out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Still need cdma for those reliable 1x calls. They can keep that on narrow channels. LTE isnt everywhere in the country so it would make sense
    It has already been explained that Verizon is keeping a slice of 850 of 1.5X1.5 for m2m. Verizon is already selling phones without CDMA in them. If you think CDMA will still work on phones after Dec 31 2019 you are in for a shock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    yeah they need to hurry because they only have 623 days.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I mean if the sites are not economically feasible anymore...maybe population growth they were expecting didn’t pan out?
    yeah they need to hurry because they only have 623 days.
    I'll eat my words on this one. I haven't searched the FCC's microwave list since late February, but I did a search after I posted that and it looks like Verizon filed for new microwave backhaul links to 2 of the 3 sites I have in mind within the last couple of weeks, so those sites are on the radar to be upgraded.

My next question now becomes what are they going to do about WUE Inc? Verizon handles the switching for their network, so if they shut down 1x/3G will they shut them off as well? Verizon has deployed some LTE in the WUE network, but only a few sites, over half of their network is still 3G or even just 1x.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    I been thinking about it joining my mom on at&t , I don't get why rootmetrics says is not good here in LA . It's way better than Verizon, data works better and it's usually faster and lte signal stays strong when u go in a store or building while Verizon drops to slow 3G evdo or even worse 1x . And in the rare occasions at&t looses lte , hspa kicks in and give u 10 to 15 mbps which is still great .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ha! AT&T is terrible in Los Angeles--no idea what you are talking about.

Try this: go to the Starbucks in DTLA on 2nd/San Pedro. A Starbucks! It's "No service" as soon as you walk inside. Or, go to the Far Bar in Little Tokyo--their **outdoor** seating area doesn't get AT&T service. I have about 100 more examples. Verizon has perfect service in all of these.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Should I be pissed off because my 1965 Ford Mustang doesn't have multi-port fuel injection instead of an old four barrel carburetor?
    If you would not be allowed to use (drive) your 1965 Ford Mustang any more, then yes, you might be pissed.

But what about your 2016 Mustang? Would you be happy if you weren't allowed to use (drive) it anymore? You couldn't sell it either (who would want it?). I am thinking that VZ and VZW both still offered the CDMA F256 for HPC in 2016.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    If you would not be allowed to use (drive) your 1965 Ford Mustang any more, then yes, you might be pissed.

But what about your 2016 Mustang? Would you be happy if you weren't allowed to use (drive) it anymore? You couldn't sell it either (who would want it?). I am thinking that VZ and VZW both still offered the CDMA F256 for HPC in 2016.
    It depends on who made this happen. If Ford sold me a 2016 Mustang and then two years later Ford disabled it, then I would be pissed at Ford. However, if some third party made the Ford un-driveable, then why would I be pissed at Ford? I might be pissed at Exxon for no longer producing fuel for my Ford, but not at Ford.

I just don't see how Onstar can be held accountable for a business decision of Verizon.

Feedback Score
    It has already been explained that Verizon is keeping a slice of 850 of 1.5X1.5 for m2m. Verizon is already selling phones without CDMA in them. If you think CDMA will still work on phones after Dec 31 2019 you are in for a shock.
    So is their network because there are still plenty of areas where 1x calling works better than LTE. They’re rapidly densifying though

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Ha! AT&T is terrible in Los Angeles--no idea what you are talking about.

Try this: go to the Starbucks in DTLA on 2nd/San Pedro. A Starbucks! It's "No service" as soon as you walk inside. Or, go to the Far Bar in Little Tokyo--their **outdoor** seating area doesn't get AT&T service. I have about 100 more examples. Verizon has perfect service in all of these.
    Interesting. I never really saw any of this behavior there in early March. I only had lack of data flow one time... On Hollywood and Vine in my friend’s apartment at about 12:30 PM on a Saturday. I frequently saw high speeds and was pretty impressed with the density that I saw between LAX and Hollywood, and in Beverly Hills as well. I didn’t have a Verizon line to compare to but T-Mobile was struggling on an iPhone 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast