Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: US Cellular Speedtests

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    139
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    I think it’s weird that Sprint hasn’t built out in so many places and has good coverage in places you wouldn’t expect. I think here though that was mostly helped by Shentel and their nTelos buyout. I remember they weren’t very good here before that. T-Mobile is our no show here which I think is stupid considering how big they have become. They have been starting into other parts of the state though, but I’ve got a feeling they want to rely on USCC when their VOLTE comes out here based on the looks of their current coverage maps.
    I've never found that vis-a-vi Sprint. If they have coverage in some one horse town you wouldn't expect, it's merely because a major interstate or highway runs very close (usually within 1/2 to 1 mile in a radius) otherwise...nope.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well here does seem to be different. They do cover smaller towns quite a few miles away from interstates.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    255
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mine never go above 2mb down. Stupid throttled “unlimited” plan. It’s a joke just like the company.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    [QUOTE=kevdogg32901;16989608]Mine never go above 2mb down. Stupid throttled “unlimited” plan. It’s a joke just like the company.

    Yes it is, having both of the restrictions is stupid. I think it should be either 22 GB of full speed, or truly unlimited on the slower speed, or preferably be more like the other carriers or just have it be truly unlimited and stand out. They’re probably afraid their towers couldn’t handle it though.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Looks like they changed their Unlimited Plus plan to 25 GB of full speed, I'm not limited to 3Mbps.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,603
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sfindo View Post
    Looks like they changed their Unlimited Plus plan to 25 GB of full speed, I'm limited to 3Mbps.
    They still throttle you back when you reach that limit until your next billing period, regardless, unlike the other guys, who will throttle you after a certain limit, but ONLY when a site gets congested, your speeds return to normal after things clear up.

    "All data on Unlimited Data plans streams at speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps and will automatically shift to 2G speeds when each line reaches 22GB. All data on Unlimited Plus Plans automatically shift to 2G speeds when each line reaches 25GB.
    Read more at https://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/plans/showPlans.jsp?plan-selector-type=voice-messaging&type=plans#gKJY74TWTQfiCbHo.99"

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    2,312
    Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility & Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Vinita, Oklahoma. B5 @ 5 MHz.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Bentley



    AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    They still throttle you back when you reach that limit until your next billing period, regardless, unlike the other guys, who will throttle you after a certain limit, but ONLY when a site gets congested, your speeds return to normal after things clear up.

    "All data on Unlimited Data plans streams at speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps and will automatically shift to 2G speeds when each line reaches 22GB. All data on Unlimited Plus Plans automatically shift to 2G speeds when each line reaches 25GB.
    Read more at https://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/plans/showPlans.jsp?plan-selector-type=voice-messaging&type=plans#gKJY74TWTQfiCbHo.99"
    Yeah. That's stupid that they do that. I think with a plan like that it should be much cheaper than the other carriers. But no, they charge closer to Verizon's prices. I wonder how exactly they make money off of this except by misleading customers. I have USCC but would rather be with another carrier. The only good thing I have to say about them is that my phone pretty much always works where it's supposed to and the roaming coverage is usually pretty good. However the native coverage is not that great where I live and I even suspect them having VOLTE active for T-Mobile so they can get at least some LTE through here because I live in a big dead zone for them for some reason and then USCC not letting us use it because their LTE isn't good enough here to hold a call on some of the back roads however I'm only going by T-Mobile's coverage map and have no other evidence to support that suspicion.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Vinita, Oklahoma. B5 @ 5 MHz.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not bad. Better than what I usually get.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,603
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yeah. That's stupid that they do that. I think with a plan like that it should be much cheaper than the other carriers. But no, they charge closer to Verizon's prices. I wonder how exactly they make money off of this except by misleading customers. I have USCC but would rather be with another carrier. The only good thing I have to say about them is that my phone pretty much always works where it's supposed to and the roaming coverage is usually pretty good. However the native coverage is not that great where I live and I even suspect them having VOLTE active for T-Mobile so they can get at least some LTE through here because I live in a big dead zone for them for some reason and then USCC not letting us use it because their LTE isn't good enough here to hold a call on some of the back roads however I'm only going by T-Mobile's coverage map and have no other evidence to support that suspicion.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app
    That's why a lot of my family stays with USCC up here in Mendocino County, the coverage, though Verizon is VERY close, and you can always roam in-market onto USCC with them if you need to. I think many stay with USCC here because of coverage, and just not wanting to go through the switching carriers hassle. AT&T and T-Mobile have pretty good coverage, too, but they are still behind VZ and USCC, especially in the more remote and isolated areas (this area is full of those), like Covelo, where USCC is the ONLY carrier with native coverage.

    We also have areas where coverage from ALL carriers is either very poor or non-existent, thankfully, we have a strong Call Box program, they're powered by solar and batteries and use cellular or satellite, depending on the location, they are located on state and US Highways. Of course, there are areas where those don't even exist, so you either use radio or a satellite phone.

    http://www.mendocinocog.org/safe.shtml

    http://www.mendocinocog.org/pdf/Map%...Plan-Final.pdf Call Box locations

    http://www.mendocinocog.org/pdf/News...2014-01-17.pdf About the satellite call boxes

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That's why a lot of my family stays with USCC up here in Mendocino County, the coverage, though Verizon is VERY close, and you can always roam in-market onto USCC with them if you need to. I think many stay with USCC here because of coverage, and just not wanting to go through the switching carriers hassle. AT&T and T-Mobile have pretty good coverage, too, but they are still behind VZ and USCC, especially in the more remote and isolated areas (this area is full of those), like Covelo, where USCC is the ONLY carrier with native coverage.
    Yeah. I can agree that USCC is still the best in a few markets. Just not really where I live in West Virginia at least around Beckley. Maybe just the only CDMA provider in a few areas. I roam onto Sprint for LTE without the phone even telling me. I bring up my field test tools and they say I am on Sprint even though the phone doesn't say it's roaming unless I look deep into settings. I also roam a lot for CDMA in one area that's supposed to have good signal but doesn't. I think they are better than Verizon in my area by a good bit at least on CDMA, but Sprint is usually better I think. AT&T has the most overall coverage here but there are a few weak spots in that coverage. T-Mobile doesn't even exist in my area and has basically circled my area except on route 19.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,603
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yeah. I can agree that USCC is still the best in a few markets. Just not really where I live in West Virginia at least around Beckley. Maybe just the only CDMA provider in a few areas. I roam onto Sprint for LTE without the phone even telling me. I bring up my field test tools and they say I am on Sprint even though the phone doesn't say it's roaming unless I look deep into settings. I also roam a lot for CDMA in one area that's supposed to have good signal but doesn't. I think they are better than Verizon in my area by a good bit at least on CDMA, but Sprint is usually better I think. AT&T has the most overall coverage here but there are a few weak spots in that coverage. T-Mobile doesn't even exist in my area and has basically circled my area except on route 19.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app
    Sprint completely skipped our county lol Their native coverage stops just before the Sonoma/Mendocino County Line, and doesn't come back until Eureka, in Humboldt County, a distance of almost 200 miles. They do have one, TINY site in Lake County, our eastern neighbor, but it covers a very small area, and a small amount of people, I'm pretty sure they put it up just to say they "covered" our market (RSA 344, Mendocino and Lake Counties).

    We actually had 5 carriers for a couple of years, VZ, ATT, TMO, USCC and Metro PCS, though when T-Mobile bought Metro PCS, it shrunk to 4, and T-Mobile switched over Metro's CDMA system to GSM. Metro had the least coverage of all the carriers.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Sprint completely skipped our county lol Their native coverage stops just before the Sonoma/Mendocino County Line, and doesn't come back until Eureka, in Humboldt County, a distance of almost 200 miles. They do have one, TINY site in Lake County, our eastern neighbor, but it covers a very small area, and a small amount of people, I'm pretty sure they put it up just to say they "covered" our market (RSA 344, Mendocino and Lake Counties).
    Yeah. There are plenty of places where Sprint's not the best. In my area there is actually one tower that has been having issues and has actually had issues today. Most of our coverage though was from Shentel(an affiliate of Sprint) buying out nTelos(a smaller provider that covered most of VA and WV) which was converted to Sprint. I remember before the buyout they didn't even have LTE here. They have also improved coverage a decent amount since the buyout.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,603
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yeah. There are plenty of places where Sprint's not the best. In my area there is actually one tower that has been having issues and has actually had issues today. Most of our coverage though was from Shentel(an affiliate of Sprint) buying out nTelos(a smaller provider that covered most of VA and WV) which was converted to Sprint. I remember before the buyout they didn't even have LTE here. They have also improved coverage a decent amount since the buyout.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app
    That's how we got AT&T, the original network was Edge Wireless, an AT&T Affiliate (60% privately held. AT&T held the other 40%), they served parts of Northern California, Southwestern Oregon, Southeastern Idaho and Jackson, WY, AT&T bought them out in late 2007, and took complete control in early 2008. Edge Wireless started out in 2000 with TDMA, eventually putting up GSM that ran along with the TDMA, the TDMA was eventually shut down. Edge actually had quite a bit of 3G up just before AT&T took over.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    135
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That's how we got AT&T, the original network was Edge Wireless, an AT&T Affiliate (60% privately held. AT&T held the other 40%), they served parts of Northern California, Southwestern Oregon, Southeastern Idaho and Jackson, WY, AT&T bought them out in late 2007, and took complete control in early 2008. Edge Wireless started out in 2000 with TDMA, eventually putting up GSM that ran along with the TDMA, the TDMA was eventually shut down. Edge actually had some 4G up just before AT&T took over.
    Yeah. I know Verizon originally got coverage here by buying out another carrier called West Virginia Wireless in 2006. I've even heard about AT&T buying another carrier to get coverage here but I'm not sure which one. I know we used to have Nextel here until they were bought by Sprint and eventually shutdown however I think the CDMA Sprint network here may've been part of an agreement with nTelos even before the buyout. It was always just labeled as Sprint on Sprint phones. I found a press release on their website that details an alliance with nTelos over a year before the buyout was announced. Link to the press release: http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-an...rough-2022.htm . The only carrier that wasnt bought out that I think built here from the ground up was USCC at least to my knowledge. They've had coverage here though since probably before I was born or at least longer than I can remember so if they did it would be very difficult to find information on. From everything I've seen though it seems like they were from the ground up.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. US Cellular
    By ilvla2 in forum USCellular
    Replies: 406
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 10:52 PM
  2. Us Cellular users.... Win $1,000.00
    By Extraordinary in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2002, 08:57 PM
  3. Combined Qwest Wireless/US Cellular/CellularOne etc. forum?
    By NGeorge in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2002, 01:50 PM
  4. US Cellular plans
    By drudown799 in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2002, 12:25 AM
  5. US cellular gpsOne -- hybrid "wireless assisted" GPS?
    By st63z in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2001, 09:58 AM

Bookmarks