Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Inter-Carrier HD Voice Updates? (T-Mobile to AT&T/Verizon)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Inter-Carrier HD Voice Updates? (T-Mobile to AT&T/Verizon)

I haven’t really heard anything on this subject in what seems like awhile so I figured I’d ask. Has T-Mobile been working on getting Inter-carrier HD calls with AT&T and Verizon users? It seems like Sprint might have VoLTE up and running before T-Mobile implements this. I mean they downgraded their voice codec for standard VoLTE (23.85 to 12.65 Kbps IIRC) for interoperability with the duopoly. AT&T and Verizon callers can call each other with HD voice, what’s holding back T-Mobile? Have they done their part?

Also posted this on Reddit but I figured the more knowledge the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    I haven't heard anything & my voice calls with T-Mobile subs are still non-HD voice. I'm on Verizon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No updates. Sounds like they are dragging their feet or just don't f-ing care. AT&T and Verizon somehow figured it out.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, frankly this sucks. The "big two" don't really care if anyone else inter-operates well. It simply doesn't serve their interest. Frankly, this is where the FCC should step in and require all carriers with tech capability to play nice. i.e. if you support VoLTE, guess what, you are required to support HD voice with any partner that requests it.

-Dan

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I can't find the tweet from Neville Ray where he alluded to the fact that Verizon/AT&T "know," that they are interested in getting this done. It didn't sound to me like T-Mobile was the one holding it up.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Every time I call my mom on At&t from my Verizon phone I get the HD icon and she does too and calls sounds great ,real good . When i call friend on tmobile or sprint no HD icon and calls don't sound that great . We live here in Los Angeles so in this area I guess it's working between att n Verizon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Strange. I have tmobile and when I call someone who uses Verizon I get HD icon and they do too. This is in PA/Jersey area.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm... So is it area specific!?

I know when I talk to my friend who is on Verizon here in Atlanta his Samsung 8 sounds terrible. Like Half-Codec terrible.

It's like we're having a conversation via walkie talkie or CB or something!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    I would say so. The person in question has a pixel 2 and calls sound very clear and crisp. I'm on S9+

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    So then being that is an unlocked phone maybe HD Voice/VoLTE is provisioned at the phone level...

As a matter of fact I think on T-Mobile it is, if memory serves me correctly. I know on my iPhone I can turn VoLTE off I desire. OR

it could be T-Mobile branded devices don't play nice via inter-operability with Verizon devices. I think it's a little of both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    So then being that is an unlocked phone maybe HD Voice/VoLTE is provisioned at the phone level...

As a matter of fact I think on T-Mobile it is, if memory serves me correctly. I know on my iPhone I can turn VoLTE off I desire. OR

it could be T-Mobile branded devices don't play nice via inter-operability with Verizon devices. I think it's a little of both.
    My S9+ is tmobile branded.

Feedback Score
    I’m doubtful it’s area specific or device specific. A friend on T-Mobile in NYC called me who has Verizon, and the audio quality wasn’t HD and there was no HD symbol on either device. They were using an unlocked Pixel 3 and I was using a Verizon branded S9. When they call other T-Mobile customers the HD icon is there and when I call Verizon customers the HD icon is there. I’m thinking it’s more of an interlink issue that’s missing between the two carriers rather then a device or account or area issue.

Feedback Score
    When T-Mobile buys Sprint, isn't it more cost effective to wait and accomplish it once tine rather than twice? Also, after that happens, T-Mo will have more leverage with ATT & VZW.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon to Verizon is worst than T-Mobile to T-Mobile. There is nothing wrong with the sound quality between T-Mobile and AT&T that is crystal clear. T- Mobile to Verizon isn’t bad but it is very tinty. Don’t know anyone with Sprint anymore.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I get HD audio between my T-Mobile line and my friends AT&T line. I only get narrow band audio between Verizon and my T-Mobile line.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast