Thread: Galaxy S9+ (Unlocked or Carrier version)

Feedback Score

Galaxy S9+ (Unlocked or Carrier version)

I saw on the samsung website that you can reserve the unlocked and carrier version. I'm a At&T customer and I'm trying to decide between one of them. Things for consideration are wifi calling and volte. Does this features will work with the unlocked version on At&t or do I have to go with the carrier version, in my case the At&t?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know this as well. My S9+ arrives tomorrow to be used on Cricket.

Device(s)
    iPhone X Space Gray 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arobles View Post
    I saw on the samsung website that you can reserve the unlocked and carrier version. I'm a At&T customer and I'm trying to decide between one of them. Things for consideration are wifi calling and volte. Does this features will work with the unlocked version on At&t or do I have to go with the carrier version, in my case the At&t?
    Carrier version is better. U don't get VoLTE or wifi calling with unlocked s9

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2016 MacBook Pro| 2 GHz Intel Core i5 | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
    iPad Mini 2 16GB Space Gray | iPhone 7 256GB Matte Black | Galaxy S7 32GB Black | AWS 1
    RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yokolormebadd View Post
    Carrier version is better. U don't get VoLTE or wifi calling with unlocked s9

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Which carrier do you use? Fi or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S9+ (Unlocked or Carrier version)

IPhone and nexus 6p user here.

I tried the AT&T S9+ it has a nice screen. However one thing I wasn't aware of and I know you can mod etc but when you boot the phone it plays the AT&T bootup sound. All of the sounds for alerts are AT&T branded.

Another thing that I noticed was there were two versions of everything. Calendar, mail, browser, etc.

The Google experience on pure android 8.1 on my n6p is clean. The iPhone experience is clean.

Another annoyance I find is the S9/+ is you have to buy the carrier phones for it to work with AT&T at least. For wifi calling and volte. Also the carrier phones disable the other bands for other carriers?!? If I'm buying a phone outright and it has the capability to work with all carriers. Do not disable the other bands modems etc!

So basically that leaves the iPhone and pixel phones as the next option. Moving forward the pixel based phones can't do wifi calling with at&t. I've read somewhere that they may be capable of doing volte/HD voice now.

However, if you want a phone with all bands that can work almost anywhere in the world and have full.VoLTE and wifi calling support on every carrier in the US get an unlocked iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X Space Gray 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    Which carrier do you use? Fi or?

AT&T.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    An unlocked Galaxy S8 on AT&T, no VoLTE and no Wi-Fi calling right?

Feedback Score
    Unlocked, and rooted
    Model no. SM-G965F

Device(s)
    iPhone X Space Gray 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wifi calling and VoLTE won't work on an unlocked device.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10, iPhone XS MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Programmer
    Feedback Score
    You can buy the AT&T version and unlock it with code if you want to use it with other carrier later. Good luck.