Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogers 2600mhz vs Telus microcells

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Rogers 2600mhz vs Telus microcells

I was just curious about what is better 2600mhz or microcells. Here In Vancouver Telus tends to add many microcells while Rogers adds 2600mbz spectrum to their towers. For example looking at Tsawwassen bc, Telus told people 70 microcells equal 3-4 regular towers. What is the difference between that and Rogers 2600mhz spectrum

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Looking at this article it’s saying one small cell covers 500ft http://emrabc.ca/?page_id=8805 and I don’t understand why homeowners are mad about them

Feedback Score
    You can have 2600 MHz on a small cell, they're not mutually exclusive.

It also depends on the requirement. Coverage or capacity. Microcells for Telus are generally being deployed for coverage. For 5G it will be for coverage and capacity.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    You can have 2600 MHz on a small cell, they're not mutually exclusive.

It also depends on the requirement. Coverage or capacity. Microcells for Telus are generally being deployed for coverage. For 5G it will be for coverage and capacity.
    So does that mean Rogers will have a hard time installing the 5g network?

Feedback Score
    If Bell and Telus continue sharing their RAN, then Rogers will absolutely have a hard time with 5G deployment. Especially on high frequency bands like 28 GHz.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Rogers generally has already deployed 2600 on all towers, they use a cookie cutter approach for the most part, virtually all towers got B4/7/12/17 a few years back, and they've recently upgraded them to add B2 and some rare B5 on some. So they have not been adding 2600 for some time, as it was already widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceclutch View Post
    Looking at this article it’s saying one small cell covers 500ft http://emrabc.ca/?page_id=8805 and I don’t understand why homeowners are mad about them
    Because they choose to believe FUD instead of doing some research? Telus is actually reducing the amount of RF exposure to their customers.
    If you make a call and a microcell is nearby, your phone transmit power is minimal, minimizing your RF exposure. When it is trying to reach a far away macrocell (like it would on Rogers), its cranking out up to the max allowed power right next to their heads.

RF signal strength drops off exponentially with even the smallest distances, so that microcell doesn't even come close to giving you the same amount of RF exposure as a phone call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceclutch View Post
    Yet those same homeowners most likely have WiFi routers inside their homes with similar power output/range coverage and operating in similar 2Ghz+ (or even higher 5Ghz) frequency ranges. Where's the pettition to ban wifi routers in homes?

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yes, and 2.4Ghz is really close to the 2.415Ghz harmonic frequencies of water... (Microwave ovens)

If anything is going to 'cook' your body, it's that frequency.

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It’s going to be interesting to see what Rogers does with microcells. I think they have a few dozen deployed but only in downtown Toronto (I haven’t seen any around my neighbourhood), which is far from the hundreds deployed by Bell and Telus, including at least 20 in and around my neighbourhood alone. Normally microcells are fed by fibre, and around here, Bell has far more fibre strung across lamp posts and telephone poles than Rogers does. Not sure if microwave can be used as backhaul for microcells.

Feedback Score
    Yes they can use microwave backhaul too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I have yet to see an outdoor Rogers microcell here. They do use them indoors at large venues and businesses (we have 1 in our workplace basement).
    Interestingly enough, they chose to go with MIMO instead of SISO indoors with confined spaces/lots of users, which I found a bit odd.

Feedback Score
    Hey zivan, are these microcells using external antennas or built in? If it's external, I'd be surprised too. It's expensive to run RF cabling indoors.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, I was not there when it was installed, so I have yet to find it (it may be hidden behind a false ceiling). I assume the antennas are built in, as they have referred to it as a "unit" in emails.
    I'll try to find it and take some pictures when I'm in the basement.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers 2600mhz vs Telus microcells

zivan, thanks. Would be interesting to see. I haven’t been in the PATH downtown Toronto in a while but last time I was there I remember the Rogers DAS used a combo of dark grey half-sphere domes (with internal antennas) and external black antenna units which almost resembled the same antennas used in the old WRT-54G routers. Even in the Bramalea shopping mall, you’ll see external black antennas mounted on the ceiling, which I can only assume belong to the Rogers DAS there, since Bell’s DAS uses mini white domes (internal antennas) with “Bell Mobility” imprinted on them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    So it looks like NSG had some bug where it was displaying SISO as MIMO until I got really close to the cell, it may have been bouncing back and forth between the macro and micro.

I was able to ask a few people who helped set it up and get a good idea of the infrastructure behind it.

First off, it is a DAS solution and not individual microcells (all cells have same PCI/CellID) with multiple units per floor on multiple floors from the 2nd floor downwards.
    They look like this:

All of these are connected to a nearby macro via a wireless link many stories above (I assume its microwave, but I didn't get a chance to go up to check it out). However, the DAS has a separate eNB from the macro.

As for the DAS itself, its UMTS B2/LTE B4 only (no CA). No 256QAM support or anything advanced, its quite basic but decently fast compared to trying to use the nearby macro in a basement (which was very spotty, at best).

Speeds were ok, upload was actually quite impressive. The nearby macro it is connected to can easily do 300 Mbps+, so its more the DAS hardware that is the bottleneck:

Overall, its a decent solution for places with no coverage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast