Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Wing Alpha?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    What are the taxes and fees like?
    So far I’ve only paid $2.50 for taxes and fees

Feedback Score
    Update: Service had been iffy but I expected that with sprint. Call quality isn’t good but it’s not bad. Sometimes 3G is better than the LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Interesting, because they would be using Ting's old 2012/13 billing approach to do it. Ting isn't offering throttled data if you hit your cap, they just bump you up to the next tier, where Wing offers

I would say Twigby is the one in their sights and not necessarily Ting since I don't see where Wing allows sharing.

I have to wonder if Its On (Zact) is somehow involved, they also had "dynamic pricing" and since Sprint only leased their technology and VM Custom/Data Done Right is a distant memory, it is now just sitting?
    They wrote an blog article on their website that says Ting is where they get ports.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    They wrote an blog article on their website that says Ting is where they get ports.
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

It is also interesting since Ting has a completely different pricing model and many may fit between individual tiers, but UT/UT is hard to beat and as a former Ting customer I was hard pressed to stay within the minute bucket and not get bumped to the next tier at the end of the cycle and the same with data.

So, Ting not being all that competitive to begin with, maybe Ting will finally have to adjust their pricing model?

Wing also puts pressure on Twigby as well, but Twigby with UT/UT is still in the ball park with Wing.

Now if Wing offered a competitive alternative to Tello Paygo I might be interested.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks, months now a year+ TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers, especially BYOP.

Feedback Score

Wing Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffy123 View Post
    I’m gonna try this Sprint MVNO and wanted to know if anyone has used it or been using it.
    I recently joined Wing. First-rate customer service—based here in the U.S. Excellent pricing. Great web site. No problems with call service. Feel free to ask me any questions—so far, I am a satisfied customer.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Seems like it could be an option (intermediate in price between roaming charges on an US based postpaid plan like ATT for $10+taxes/day, and getting a local SIM). You could get it before you leave, and verify it works.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    I've been testing it out for about two months. There is no OLAM, but supposedly "soon". There is also apparently no refund if you are on the 500MB plan. Their website says " We turn your unused data back into dollars. Never overpay a phone bill again. We give you money back when you don’t use all the data in your plan." I leave cellular data off most of the time and still get charged the full amount.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I've been testing it out for about two months. There is no OLAM, but supposedly "soon". There is also apparently no refund if you are on the 500MB plan. Their website says " We turn your unused data back into dollars. Never overpay a phone bill again. We give you money back when you don’t use all the data in your plan." I leave cellular data off most of the time and still get charged the full amount.
    The second part is covered in their FAQ. You must be on at least the 2GB plan, and use at least 1GB of data in the month. I get the impression they don't want this to just be a phone you carry for the occasional heavy data usage month. Though you can change at that point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The second part is covered in their FAQ. You must be on at least the 2GB plan, and use at least 1GB of data in the month. I get the impression they don't want this to just be a phone you carry for the occasional heavy data usage month. Though you can change at that point.
    Never read through their faq, but seems they could at least put a * next to this claim that they emblazon boldly on the front page of their website. At least then people would know what it really means, I sure didn't.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Never read through their faq, but seems they could at least put a * next to this claim that they emblazon boldly on the front page of their website. At least then people would know what it really means, I sure didn't.
    Once you start adding *, it doesn't look so simple anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Once you start adding *, it doesn't look so simple anymore.
    But it's VERY misleading, at best.

Now a bunch of people reading this thread will think they are a shady outfit, trying to push a feature, advertised on the main page with no disclaimers, that isn't available to all subscribers.

The $13/GB high-speed data available in 135+ countries sounds nice. But who knows if that's even true, since they are misleading about the unused data money back.

Actually, I think I'm being nice saying Wing Alpha is being misleading. It's close to an outright lie, since there is no differentiation on the main page about plan levels where that feature is advertised.

Feedback Score
    I'm on my 2nd month of wing so I can chime in

TLDR: For the same talk/text/data, wing alpha is priced more competitive than twigby and ting, but Tello still beats them out. Here are some features their plans include:
    -free domestic voice roaming on what I presume is Verizon
    -wifi-calling
    -visual voicemail
    -hotstpot
    -unlimited 2g after initial 4g
    All this was tested on my iphone se.

All their plans include unlimited talk/text and only vary by the amount of data. They have this feature where you get credit back for data you don't use. Say you buy a 2gb plan, and only use 1gb, you can expect a $7 credit back on the next month. On the flipside if you picked a 500mb plan originally, and half way through you want to change to the 2gb plan, you pay the difference which is $12. I attached a screenshot below.

Speaking of which, everything has to be managed through their app. Their website does not have account management features like Ting or Tello. It is a bit annoying as I would prefer having both options but maybe I'm just behind the times. Their app is very nice though.

Additionally you can't sign up on your own for Wing, you have to click the join button on their website and chat with a wing agent to have them do it manually. They are usually quick but at the same time I would prefer to have the choice to set up things on my own. They control setting up your password and log in for you which gets texted to you after your chat with them and port over/activate.

With the question about taxes, I strangely didn't have to pay taxes or fees, not sure if this is the norm, I'll attach a screenshot.

Name:  Photo May 13, 4 45 59 PM.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  33.2 KBName:  Photo May 13, 4 46 15 PM.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  24.8 KBName:  Photo May 13, 4 47 22 PM.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  22.1 KBName:  Photo May 13, 4 45 10 PM.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  35.1 KB

Edit: Whipped up a quick table to compare prices for the same alottments
    Name:  exportpng_Page1.png
Views: 1538
Size:  26.9 KB
    Last edited by 3r8YxMLY; 05-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    The service seems fine, but I'm staying away from them until they get some kind of account login set up. I tried them out on a trip to Idaho. I had to sign up on the phone. I specifically told the Rep that I did not want auto billing (I told them this was a trial). According to the terms, if you don't pay by the 5th you have five days of service and then you're cut off (which is what I wanted). I don't know if my phone was ever actually got cut off because I quit using it a week or two ahead of time. But then I found out that they charged my PayPal account for another month of service on the 13th. I called them told them I did NOT want to be on autopay. They said fine. Then I asked them to email with confirmation that I was no longer on autopay. "Okay," they said. Email never arrived. So I called PayPal and told them the current charge was okay, but I didn't want future charges from this company. They told me this was not an "autopay" mechanism, rather someone had initiated the payment "by hand." The only way I could insure they didn't do it again was to cancel my current debit card and have a new one issued (which is what I did). So, my personal experience with this company is not good. I never got any confirmation of anything in the email – not even when I set up the account. From my point of view it looks like they don't honor no autopay requests. And it makes me wonder if they quit billing you when canceling service (as some MVNOs apparently don't). So, overall, I'm not happy with Wing and wouldn't suggest using – at least not until they get an online account login set up.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    A few asked about taxes. The plan I tried was just the $12 "flip phone" unlimited plan. Total charge for a full month was $13.50 – so the tax was $1.50 (less than what you normally get charged in DFW, TX for prepaid service). So it looks like they're currently willing to absorb some of the taxes to make billing simpler. I don't know how long that will last.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    But it's VERY misleading, at best.

Actually, I think I'm being nice saying Wing Alpha is being misleading. It's close to an outright lie, since there is no differentiation on the main page about plan levels where that feature is advertised.
    I don't know - I found it pretty easy to find out that it wasn't available on the lower plans. The initial advertisement sends you digging deeper for details on how it works and then you find out everything in the FAQs.

"
    Dynamic Pricing FAQs
    What if I'm on a 1GB, 500MB, or 128MB plan and don't use all my data?
    Dynamic pricing only applies to the 2GB - 7GB plans, so anyone on the 1GB plan or lower will not receive credits back for unused data. We suggest picking the lowest data plan that best fits your needs.

If you choose the 2GB plan, at least 1GB of data must be used to receive credits."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast