Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I call forward a post paid ONE line to a foreign number?

Feedback Score

Can I call forward a post paid ONE line to a foreign number?

Along these lines, does anyone know for sure if it is possible to call forward a post paid ONE line to a foreign number? Would it require the country prefix if your phone was actually in that country at the time? If this is possible, would the calling party be aware they were forwarded, and would they have long distance charges applied?

I just realized I can try and set this up for my upcoming trip to Ireland. I will try and forward my number to my hotel number and then call and see what happens if the forwarding is accepted. Film at 11...

The Ireland number was not accepted by the either the phone (iPhone X) or the T-Mobile system. It appeared in the input screen, but not in the forwarded number display. A call to my number went straight to Voice Mail. Oh Well, a longshot at best. My goal was to see if it would be possible to have a foreign prepaid sim pick up my home number also.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    If you plan on forwarding calls to hotels, theres a chance that the calls will likely be be picked up by the front desk, or some rooms will have individual extensions, either way i dont think yoiu will get a direct connection to the room from the outside without first going through the front desk or extension.

Secondly, the country prefix for mobile numbers have to be dailed, regardless of where it is when dialing from a US number. If you just dailed the number without the country prefix you will receive an error.

I think you get charged, if you check your call statement at the end of the billing cycle you might see the number forwarded to and see "CF" or call forward to and any charges.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Not directly. You have to go through a 3rd party.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I forget - can you CF a Google Voice number overseas?
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I forget - can you CF a Google Voice number overseas?
    Why would you need to? As long as you have data you can answers your google number anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    If you plan on forwarding calls to hotels, theres a chance that the calls will likely be be picked up by the front desk, or some rooms will have individual extensions, either way i dont think yoiu will get a direct connection to the room from the outside without first going through the front desk or extension.

Secondly, the country prefix for mobile numbers have to be dailed, regardless of where it is when dialing from a US number. If you just dailed the number without the country prefix you will receive an error.

I think you get charged, if you check your call statement at the end of the billing cycle you might see the number forwarded to and see "CF" or call forward to and any charges.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The hotel number was the only valid foreign number that was convenient for my experiment. If it had worked I would forward to whatever foreign sim I obtained. I had programmed the country code into the forwarded number with a +1 first. It was not accepted as a valid number I suppose. It defaulted back to the previous forwarding number.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    A foreign number won't be +1. That's for NANP numbers. It will be +[CC]...., where CC is the country code.

Feedback Score
    I just tried it there now on my T Mobile One Plus line to forward to my Irish phone and it wouldn’t work either. I’m in Ireland right now if that had any bearing at all, though I doubt it. I tried +35387(my number) and 01135387(my number) and it wouldn’t work

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The +35387XXXXXXX format would work for an Eircell number, if T-Mobile allowed international forwarding. I just wanted to make sure you were making a valid test. You can forward to a domestic US number, such as Google Voice, Viber-In, Skype-In, etc.

Also, some hotels in Europe have direct inward calling to hotel rooms. I stayed in a small hotel in Rome that added one digit to the hotel's main number to call each room. Phone numbers don't always have to be a standard length, like in the US. In some countries in there are all sorts of numbers.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    A foreign number won't be +1. That's for NANP numbers. It will be +[CC]...., where CC is the country code.
    You're absolutely right and I feel pretty dumb about that. I did just look up the country code for Ireland and tried to program that with the hotel phone number to see if it would be accepted. I'm not trying to forward my calls to the hotel, just experimenting with forwarding to a foreign number in case I choose to buy a local sim in another country.

Anyway, the forwarding was not accepted by the phone setting, so that does not seem to be an option.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Before the discounted roaming I used to do this to my local SIM. You can do quite easily with most of the VOIP providers. First forward your line to the VOIP service. Then with Vonage for example you can set it to forward immediately or after a few rings. Likewise if you buy a "Skype In" number you can forward that. In each case you pay the direct dial rate for the number forwarded to.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for starting this thread OP - I had the exact same question.

What about this scenario: Can I forward a postpaid TMO ONE/ONE+ number to a VOIP app that uses a USA number (such as Talkatone, TextNow, GV, etc.) and use that setup to have free calling to/from the USA while traveling internationally?

Feedback Score
    Now I'm wondering if I can forward my personal line to a Google Voice line, then forward that to a foreign sim or other number? Does anyone know if GV can forward to international numbers? I don't have a GV line currently, I opened my current ONE account by porting it in the get the Hookup and One Plus Promo features last March.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    ....What about this scenario: Can I forward a postpaid TMO ONE/ONE+ number to a VOIP app that uses a USA number (such as Talkatone, TextNow, GV, etc.) and use that setup to have free calling to/from the USA while traveling internationally?
    If you are using a SIP application on your phone's data connection, it will be important to pay extra for the advanced CODEC packs and make sure that the VoIP provider supports the low-bit-rate CODECS.

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can certainly do that. I sometimes forward mine to my googleVoice number. Or, via a 3rd party such as callcentric, to my local sim in the country I am visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread OP - I had the exact same question.

What about this scenario: Can I forward a postpaid TMO ONE/ONE+ number to a VOIP app that uses a USA number (such as Talkatone, TextNow, GV, etc.) and use that setup to have free calling to/from the USA while traveling internationally?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast