Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon locking phones this spring

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    can I pay you in bill credits?
    Funny.

I'm not an attorney, but I do have some advice for you. If you're willing to pay the money to file a lawsuit, you should probably hire a real attorney, one who has actually graduated from law school and passed the bar exam.............not a wannabe who makes her living gaming the cellular system selling phones on the internet. No decent attorney has time to spend 8 or 10 hours a day posting on internet forums.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I'm not an attorney, but I do have some advice for you. If you're willing to pay the money to file a lawsuit, you should probably hire a real attorney, one who has actually graduated from law school and passed the bar exam.............not a wannabe who makes her living gaming the cellular system selling phones on the internet. No decent attorney has time to spend 8 or 10 hours a day posting on internet forums.
    Funny and absolutely true. I've observed that the very most qualified people in any profession rarely spend much time posting about them on internet forums and social media. In fact, it's almost an inversely proportional relationship.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    My only issue is the false cover story Verizon provided without any evidence theft of phone shipments to the stores have been targeted. If the phone is financed, I see no reason why Verizon or any carrier cannot lock the phone until the sales contract is complete which is probably the real reason Verizon is changing the locking policy. When the original rule was implemented, sales contracts for phones did not exist and Palm was a major players in the smart phone market with Apple being a rumor.
    Calling a press release or news story fake because it doesn’t fit your criteria is so 2017. Palm, off topic, my first wireless data device was a Palm VII. My ringtone on my 8 Plus is the ringtone from a Pre Plus. I’m sure there are two focus points in Verizon’s internal approach to this, legal and PR. I believe that in today’s legal environment it’s doubtful they would fabricate a story to change a policy that might push on a FCC rule they operate under. Chances are good this will end up in court with scumbag attorneys drafting class action paperwork shortly after story hit. The rule hasn’t been tested in court and again in today’s cell market Verizon chances of winning are pretty good, argument being that it’s anti-competition and not relevant anymore. If I remember correctly wasn’t the rule more about allowing devices on Verizon’s network not the other way around?
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Calling a press release or news story fake because it doesn’t fit your criteria is so 2017. Palm, off topic, my first wireless data device was a Palm VII. My ringtone on my 8 Plus is the ringtone from a Pre Plus. I’m sure there are two focus points in Verizon’s internal approach to this, legal and PR. I believe that in today’s legal environment it’s doubtful they would fabricate a story to change a policy that might push on a FCC rule they operate under. Chances are good this will end up in court with scumbag attorneys drafting class action paperwork shortly after story hit. The rule hasn’t been tested in court and again in today’s cell market Verizon chances of winning are pretty good, argument being that it’s anti-competition and not relevant anymore. If I remember correctly wasn’t the rule more about allowing devices on Verizon’s network not the other way around?

Verizon and AT&T both ended UL data plans then both suddenly reversed course. Both have a history of giving false reasons for changes then reversing course. Without Verizon providing theft information which they should have available, I will call their reasoning at best suspicious like the UL data change/reversal.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Next person that breaks a rule in this thread will receive a free 1 week ban on me. The line is drawn here.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon and AT&T both ended UL data plans then both suddenly reversed course. Both have a history of giving false reasons for changes then reversing course. Without Verizon providing theft information which they should have available, I will call their reasoning at best suspicious like the UL data change/reversal.
    As if one as anything to do with the other. Ask a noninternet lawyer to explain it to you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    As if one as anything to do with the other. Ask a noninternet lawyer to explain it to you

I don’t need an internet lawyer to explain to me that Verizon has made beneficial changes for their business based on misleading narratives from their own press release. One is a continuation of their past practice.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Again one causes geek rage the other can lose in court or fines not even close.

Feedback Score
    If Verizon's real intent is to prevent thieves from being able to use and/or sell stolen Verizon phones, then I'm all for it.

Verizon can prove this to me by allowing providing me the unlock as soon as I take physical possession of my new Verizon phone. (at the store or after FedEx delivers the phone to my home)

At that point, the risk of theft is transferred to me. If I feel like it, I can lock the phone using a long PIN# or passcode or fingerprint of my own choosing. If I don't feel like locking it, then it's my own problem if someone steals my phone.

However, if Verizon eventually starts requiring a certain number of months of Verizon postpaid service(or worse, until I pay off the phone's DPP in full) before providing the unlock code to me, then it's pretty clear that their intent is not theft prevention. That will make it pretty clear that Verizon is only doing this for profit reasons.

Since Verizon is not a non-profit business, I'm all for them wanting to maximize as much profit for their employees, executives and shareholders. However, they should know that I also have the option to buy unlocked phones from the manufacturers such as Samsung, Apple, and others.

I have been a Verizon customer for about 15 years. I love their phones because they are unlocked. The number one benefit to me is being able to use Verizon phones with foreign prepaid SIM cards when I travel overseas. Verizon international roaming charges are beyond ridiculous, just like any other US mobile carrier.

If Verizon starts locking the phones for profit reasons, there's always Google Project Fi and dare I say, T-Mobile, which has reasonable international roaming included.

Like I said, I'm all for businesses that want to maximize profit, but at some point they will drive customers away.

Feedback Score
    Why did Verizon believe they needed to justify the change by referring to thefts of phones in transit? They did not to provide any justification for the change.

Feedback Score
    Why did Verizon believe they needed to justify the change by referring to thefts of phones in transit? They did not to provide any justification for the change.

I would still believe Verizon even if they claimed that the reason for locking the phones was:

"hundreds of thousands of our phone are routinely hijacked from freight
    trucks by angry mob of little old ganster grandmas around the country....""

but if they start instituting a new policy of not unlocking the said phone until customers
    have paid for several months of postpaid service and/or completely paid off the device payment
    plans in full, then I'll know the above reason came from the back of cows.(no offense
    to cows)

Feedback Score
    Verizon has been traditionally been a major PITA when it comes to activating manufacturer unlocked phones on their network.

Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop... i.e. Verizon *only* allowing whitelisted true Verizon-branded phones to be activated and/or active on their network. Hope I'm wrong.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yet another reason to avoid Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Who? View Post
    Yet another reason to avoid Verizon.
    There seems to be a lot of anti-Verizon rage due to the proposed locking issue
    coming from people who are not Verizon users to begin with? (at least based
    on the member profile on howard forum?)

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I never considered them because of the hassles involved with CDMA, and preferred a GSM provider.

I just think giving a customer who doesn't owe you any money a hard time about unlocking a phone is not going to attract a lot of new business. Whether they do that or not remains to be seen.

I hope no one is suggesting that only Verizon customers should post in this thread.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast