Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobley Sim to Hotspot

Feedback Score

Mobley Sim to Hotspot

Has anyone that has moved their mobley sim to another hotspot gotten a message from ATT about using sim in an unauthorized device?
    Last edited by jimc28352; 02-07-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc28352 View Post
    Has anyone that has moved their mobley sim to another hotspot gotten a message from ATT?
    I get just as many messages from ATT now as I did before moving to hotspot. No problem getting messages.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone that has moved their mobley sim to another hotspot gotten a message from ATT?
    Not that I have read about. Most of the discussion on the CCU plans is in this forum:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...378-Data-Cards

Feedback Score

Mobley Sim to Hotspot

Nope I haven't yet..I'll check later on today.

Edit: I checked both Hotspots. Neither one has gotten a message about unauthorized devices. I have two connected car lines. One has a sim in a Unite Explore and the other one has a sim in the Velocity. No messages other than the normal payment messages. Sims have been in the Hotspot since last summer. Likewise each line averages maybe 4 gigs a month. This month has seen the heaviest usage (40 gigs on one line)
    Last edited by jjennings2510; 02-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone that has moved their mobley sim to another hotspot gotten a message from ATT about using sim in an unauthorized device?
    I have 4 $20 Mobley plans on one account and all of them are being used in Unite Explore Mobile Hotspot devices. I have had this setup for 8+ months and I have not heard from AT&T.

I have even called AT&T Customer Service to replace a SIM for one of these plans since I accidently bent the SIM. AT&T never asked me any questions about the SIM being used in a Unite Explore since the representative told me, "So you need a new SIM for your Unite Explore that is on the Unlimited Data plan?" of which I responded "yes, please" and I received a new SIM in 2 days. Simple and easy.

I believe almost all reps think this plan is just an "add a line" unlimited data plan since the plan is $20. On my online account and on my Unite Explore, under plan information, it plainly states "Unlimited Data" as the plan and no wordings of "Connected Car" anywhere to be seen.

Feedback Score
    I have two Mobley unlimited plans. One SIM is in an AT&T USB Modem that plugs into my router. I haven't had any issues.

Feedback Score
    Moving the Mobley SIM to a hotspot is very commonly done and I've never heard of an instance of anyone getting a nastygram from AT&T (and if it ever does happen we'll surely here about it on the forum.) In fact AT&T's ToS expressly state that moving a SIM between the same category of device (phone to phone, hotspot to hotspot, etc.) is not prohibited. If anyone ever gets into any trouble I would think it would be more likely because of some of the high usage levels that you see reported here (hundreds of GB per month) rather than where the SIM happens to be. But so far no reports of AT&T dinging anyone on either account.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the Mobley unlimited plan with the SIM in a Unite Explore, then the Unite Explore docked into a Netgear smart cradle which essentially makes it a full fledged WiFi router.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I moved my mobley sim to a hotspot. I’ll see how it goes.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I moved my mobley sim to a hotspot. I’ll see how it goes.

How much did your speeds improve?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    How much did your speeds improve?
    I believe it depends on your area. For me I went from averaging 5mbps on the mobley to getting around 40mbps on the Velocity and 50mbps on the Unite Explore. Some people reported getting speeds of 20mbps plus on the Mobley but I was never able to get above 8mbps so I'm assuming in my area the bands the mobley uses are congested. Nonetheless for me I was able to more than quadruple my speeds. Plus the hotspots seem to be able to hold on to a signal better. I would get a lot of buffering and skipping while streaming music with the mobley anytime I traveled. Your speeds will improve with a Hotspot but how much depends on the area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    I believe it depends on your area.
    Yes. While a more modern device (with Band 30, CA, etc.) will usually best the Mobley by some amount the actual difference will be extremely variable based on a number of external conditions, location being one of the biggest variables. I've seen my UE exceed the Mobley by a significant amount, or sometimes not very much or at all, just depends. If you're in an area where a more advanced hotspot device can take advantage of additional frequencies and CA then it will probably show significantly higher speeds, but for example if all you're seeing is a single LTE band where you are then there's not likely to be a huge difference.

Feedback Score
    I tried the Unite Explore and my speed went from 5MBPS to 250KBPS using an external antenna designed for the Unite. Put the sim back in the Mobley and it was back to 5MBPS. Is there another device that the Mobley sim can be used that will actually improve performance? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Chuck

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
    I tried the Unite Explore and my speed went from 5MBPS to 250KBPS using an external antenna designed for the Unite. Put the sim back in the Mobley and it was back to 5MBPS. Is there another device that the Mobley sim can be used that will actually improve performance? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Chuck
    I went from the Mobley to a Mofi4500. I went from an average of 4-7 down, to about an average of about 14-28 down. And in the early morning hours I can hit as high as 40 down. I need to try some band locking to see if I can make it more steady.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I went from the Mobley to a Mofi4500. I went from an average of 4-7 down, to about an average of about 14-28 down. And in the early morning hours I can hit as high as 40 down. I need to try some band locking to see if I can make it more steady.
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that. Chuck

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast