Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Mobley Sim to Hotspot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    A better group of people to ask would be the connected car dept, specifically a long term manager who I’m sure will have some idea about this change and what exactly they’re trying to achieve.
    On the phone now, they're transferring me to the ZTE dept.

Hope they don't make a stink about mine being in a NH, even though it's the official device that has me on a 2yr agreement on the CCU plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    A better group of people to ask would be the connected car dept, specifically a long term manager who I’m sure will have some idea about this change and what exactly they’re trying to achieve.
    I can just about guarantee that no manager you will ever talk to on the phone is even close to the level that makes these kinds of decisions, or has any insight into the upper-management thinking that went into them. The people we talk to are implementers, not planners, and upper management does not share such information with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Therefore why even go after the 100GB+ users? You can use more than that with the Mobley plugged into the OBD in your RV or camper van.
    Because usage in an RV or camper resembles home use more than 'Connected Car'. I have no doubt that AT&T considers traditional hostspot service to be more appropriate for RV use than Connected Car. The question is how many people would use more than 100 GB per month driving around in their personal car, not whether your home happens to have wheels on it or not.

People need to get past the 'Unlimited' tag and similar marketing gimmicks because they are just that. In reality all service plans are based on anticipated usage, including Connected Car, and you can bet that anticipated use by a Connected car unit is not hundreds of GB per month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    I can just about guarantee that no manager you will ever talk to on the phone is even close to the level that makes these kinds of decisions, or has any insight into the upper-management thinking that went into them. The people we talk to are implementers, not planners.
    I agree that they’re the enforcers and that’s about it. I’m being hopeful that at least the manager received a simple memo explaining the change so that when the calls start pouring in, they’re not scratching their heads wondering why this is happening all of a sudden. I know, wishful thinking. They may be in the dark just like the rest of us, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Feedback Score
    From the ZTE rep:

He read from a tech bulletin that when you activate a SIM in a ZTE device it will lock the SIM to that device with the new firmwares. He said this is supposed to affect all ZTE devices including phones. So keep an eye on your Velocity firmwares because if it's true and they update that device it may get locked too.

He said it was for security purposes that they lock the SIM to your device. It's not AT&T specific but for ZTE devices.

Keep in mind this is one rep only. If anyone else feels like getting more info please do so. I called CCU 866-595-1222 and they transferred me to ZTE.

What I posted isn't a definitive answer, just more info on what's going on. Can't even say how true it was, but he was definitely reading from what was on his screen because I interrupted him a few times and he started over with the same bulletin and his pace was like someone reading out loud.

Edit: please be nice to the people. I was kinda an *** and apologized at the end. I just have a naturally crappy temper.

Edit2: not seeing any reports about other ZTE devices getting locked, then then again I don't suppose people SIM swap as often as we do here.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score
    The reason they are not killing the plan is that it is still net positive for them. Customer acquisition costs are high so why would AT&T or anyone unnecessarily cancel a large number of solid postpaid plans? Connected Car may not provide quite the same ARPU as some other plans but I'm sure it is at least profitable, especially since the plan doesn't include voice services. They're not cancelling it because the plan probably makes money and they are in the business of making money.

That said, they have to control abuse where it is present but as mentioned earlier it's curious as to why they chose the relatively complex option of all the PIN subterfuge when they could have simply gone after high-tier usage thus only affected high-usage customers instead of every customer, especially since the 'replace my ISP' crowd are the ones least likely to be affected by trying to PIN-lock a Mobley. The strategy doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

But I doubt they are going to kill the Mobley plan outright because, well, if that's what they wanted to do then that's what would be happening, vs. the Mobley changes. Also AT&T's MO has always been to grandfather plans to existing customers and they seem to want to continue to do that, to their credit. So it seems clear that they do not want to lose all the Connected Car accounts and would rather just get them into compliance with the original intent, albeit some of the tactics seem a little self-defeating.
    The thing is, you're only affected if you sim swap. So this is exactly what they're wanting to do, go after those who take the sim out of the mobley. I've not had any issues and have never once moved the sim out of my mobley. Seems the only ones having issues are those removing the sim, which means to ATT, you're up to no good.
    Visible Early Access Code-90CC6

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    From the ZTE rep:

He read from a tech bulletin that when you activate a SIM in a ZTE device it will lock the SIM to that device with the new firmwares. He said this is supposed to affect all ZTE devices including phones. So keep an eye on your Velocity firmwares because if it's true and they update that device it may get locked too.

He said it was for security purposes that they lock the SIM to your device. It's not AT&T specific but for ZTE devices.

Keep in mind this is one rep only. If anyone else feels like getting more info please do so. I called CCU 866-595-1222 and they transferred me to ZTE.

What I posted isn't a definitive answer, just more info on what's going on. Can't even say how true it was, but he was definitely reading from what was on his screen because I interrupted him a few times and he started over with the same bulletin and his pace was like someone reading out loud.

Edit: please be nice to the people. I was kinda an *** and apologized at the end. I just have a naturally crappy temper.
    I also have a NH I got on a 2 year contract. Did anyone say anything about the sim being in the NH? Are you getting SIM locked? I have my sim in a MOFI, and have had for a year. I haven't gotten any sim lock notices yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I also have a NH I got on a 2 year contract. Did anyone say anything about the sim being in the NH? Are you getting SIM locked? I have my sim in a MOFI, and have had for a year. I haven't gotten any sim lock notices yet.
    No, no lock since it's not a Mobley and no one's said anything. Not even last night when I got my PUKs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I’ve had mine in non 2 year contact in a ZTE Velocity before the update and no issues. No SIM lock issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    From the ZTE rep:

If I have my SIM in a Velocity what do you suggest I do. Got PUK codes today for the Mobley.

Feedback Score
    From the ZTE rep:

It would be interesting if this was indeed a ZTE change and not AT&T-requested? Maybe we have the typical HoFo freakout over nothing

Hard to know for sure, but has AT&T actually said anything about this? Are we certain that the firmware change was requested/initiated by AT&T?

Feedback Score
    It would be interesting if this was indeed a ZTE change and not AT&T-requested? Maybe we have the typical HoFo freakout over nothing

Hard to know for sure, but has AT&T actually said anything about this? Are we certain that the firmware change was requested/initiated by AT&T?
    Like I said this was just one guy and we all do know that not all CSRs know everything. Hoping someone can corroborate or disprove what the guy I talked to said.

Just keep an ear out for other ZTE users getting locked after an update across other devices.

Feedback Score
    If I have my SIM in a Velocity what do you suggest I do. Got PUK codes today for the Mobley.

The PUK is for the SIM not the device so you don't have to worry about anything. If it's true and other ZTE devices start locking then you can still unlock.

Feedback Score

Mobley Sim to Hotspot

The PUK is for the SIM not the device so you don't have to worry about anything. If it's true and other ZTE devices start locking then you can still unlock.
    Something is happening. Like I posted above about my Velocity. A couple minutes ago on my iPhone again it asked me for a WiFi password. Entered password but it wouldn’t take. When I re-booted it started to work. When it happened earlier today I wasn’t in WiFi range so I assumed that’s the issue. This time I was in WiFi range. Wonder if this has to do with the info you got.

Feedback Score
    Something is happening. Like I posted above about my Velocity. A couple minutes ago on my iPhone again it asked me for a WiFi password. Entered password but it wouldn’t take. When I re-booted it started to work. When it happened earlier today I wasn’t in WiFi range so I assumed that’s the issue. This time I was in WiFi range. Wonder if this has to do with the info you got.

You could select a different password on your Velocity and see if the error continues. It it continues, it may be a defect with your Velocity that's unrelated to the SIM locking.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast