Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Mobley Sim to Hotspot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    I agree, the logic isn't there. This seems like a very weak attempt at aligning the old plan with the new Spark plan. Let's hope this is the extent of what they're willing to do. I like to switch between my M1 and Mobley, but having carrier aggregation and more bands on the M1, helps tremendously with speeds.
    Something weird has been happening yesterday and today with the CCU SIM Iíve had in my Velocity.

Today had my Velocity in our camper van and had to make a run for a couple hours and left the Velocity on. When I got back into the van my iPhone was saying wrong password. I tried to re-enter password a couple of times and it kept giving me same message. I rebooted the Velocity and it started to work. This happened to me a couple times yesterday and really didnít think anything of it thought it was a fluke.

Wonder if this has to do with with youíre post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Has anyone asked why this is happening? Whether it's a firmware bug or something deliberate?

Like I said earlier, the only other case the CSR I talked to said it was accidental setting in a firmware update on a different model device.

Feedback Score
    1. The PIN assignment is clearly deliberate.

2. If it hasn't been said a thousand times already, ignore any technical comments made by CS... about just about anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post

2. If it hasn't been said a thousand times already, ignore any technical comments made by CS... about just about anything.
    Interesting but weird why AT&T would make the PIN assignment deliberate though. Why not nix the Mobley CCU plan altogether unless it will be a loss of significant revenue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Something weird has been happening yesterday and today with the CCU SIM Iíve had in my Velocity.

Today had my Velocity in our camper van and had to make a run for a couple hours and left the Velocity on. When I got back into the van my iPhone was saying wrong password. I tried to re-enter password a couple of times and it kept giving me same message. I rebooted the Velocity and it started to work. This happened to me a couple times yesterday and really didnít think anything of it thought it was a fluke.

Wonder if this has to do with with youíre post?

Have you changed your password recently? I'm diligently watching my M1 and haven't seen anything like this.

Feedback Score

Mobley Sim to Hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    Have you changed your password recently? I'm diligently watching my M1 and haven't seen anything like this.
    My Mobley CCU SIM has been in the Velocity for a while thatís when I created a PIN before the firmware update. I havenít changed the PIN since. Hopefully this is a fluke cause itís a PITA to keep rebooting the Velocity. Now when I had to reboot the Velocity I was wasnít in the Velocity WiFi range maybe thatís the reason. But I donít remember that happening before.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score
    How can they tell if your Mobley is used outside a vehicle when youíre using the Mobley with a wall adaptor in your house or RV?

There isn't a way for them to know. That's the point, but they're still labeling people as abusers. The point was people are wondering why this is happening.
    Visible Early Access Code-90CC6

Feedback Score
    Interesting but weird why AT&T would make the PIN assignment deliberate though. Why not nix the Mobley CCU plan altogether unless it will be a loss of significant revenue.

Who knows. Maybe it would be a sizable reduction in subscribers where no one at ATT would want to be the one explaining the reason in a shareholder meeting.

Feedback Score
    I was able to get my PUK codes via chat today. Not sure what I will do with them yet as I only use the Mobley. Just in case it the Mobley dies I guess. Then I will have to find someone with an ATT phone to change things.

Feedback Score

Mobley Sim to Hotspot

I was thinking about this whole thing. Letís go back to when ATT first came up with the great idea to sell $20 UDP with the Mobley device.

Itís likely they sold the device believing there was no way to power this device outside of a car. Therefor ATT believed all users would be restricted to using the device in a car. Users quickly showed ATT they overlooked something with the OBDII converters. Fine. I can totally see ATT not realizing OBDII converters were a thing. A miscalculation on their part.

What I donít understand is the sim swapping to other hotspots. ATT HAD to have foreseen that people would try to use the SIM in other devices when the mobley plan was released, this has happened with soooo many plans in the past. ATT had to have made the deliberate decision to allow the SIM to be put in other hotspots, by knowing the possibility was there to use the SIM in other hotspots and initially realizing the mobley with no restrictions.

So why did ATT allow it for over a year and only now is putting their foot down? Was this restriction part of plan all along it just took over a year to implement? This whole thing makes 0 sense and reeks of corporate making uninformed decisions to check boxes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by novaredskin View Post
    I was thinking about this whole thing. Letís go back to when ATT first came up with the great idea to sell $20 UDP with the Mobley device.

Itís likely they sold the device believing there was no way to power this device outside of a car. Therefor ATT believed all users would be restricted to using the device in a car. Users quickly showed ATT they overlooked something with the OBDII converters. Fine. I can totally see ATT not realizing OBDII converters were a thing. A miscalculation on their part.

What I donít understand is the sim swapping to other hotspots. ATT HAD to have foreseen that people would try to use the SIM in other devices when the mobley plan was released, this has happened with soooo many plans in the past. ATT had to have made the deliberate decision to allow the SIM to be put in other hotspots, by knowing the possibility was there to use the SIM in other hotspots and initially realizing the mobley with no restrictions.

So why did ATT allow it for over a year and only now is putting their foot down? Was this restriction part of plan all along it just took over a year to implement? This whole thing makes 0 sense and reeks of corporate making uninformed decisions to check boxes.
    The ToS from what Iíve heard is vague compared to Tos of the Spark which is pretty explicit about using the Spark outside a vehicle.

Since the Spark came out itís possible theyíre making it harder for us Mobley users but makes 0 sense. Like I said above why doesnít AT&T just give us our 30 day notice and nix the Mobley plan altogether unless it will look bad losing subs.

Feedback Score

Only thing is that no one has come forward to claim responsibility nor say SIM swapping on the CCU is a no-no.

There are quite a few CSR that are technical and capable - I've had luck to deal with a few of them - so a blanket dismissal of what any of them say is bad detective work.

Sure AT&T is evil (can't say that about all the workers) and can and will do what they want and have no reason to tell us anything about what they do and I do believe they're behind it, but without any real evidence - just like people were yelling in the Spark thread - we're just speculating.

Feedback Score
    The reason they are not killing the plan is that it is still net positive for them. Customer acquisition costs are high so why would AT&T or anyone unnecessarily cancel a large number of solid postpaid plans? Connected Car may not provide quite the same ARPU as some other plans but I'm sure it is at least profitable, especially since the plan doesn't include voice services. They're not cancelling it because the plan probably makes money and they are in the business of making money.

That said, they have to control abuse where it is present but as mentioned earlier it's curious as to why they chose the relatively complex option of all the PIN subterfuge when they could have simply gone after high-tier usage thus only affected high-usage customers instead of every customer, especially since the 'replace my ISP' crowd are the ones least likely to be affected by trying to PIN-lock a Mobley. The strategy doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

But I doubt they are going to kill the Mobley plan outright because, well, if that's what they wanted to do then that's what would be happening, vs. the Mobley changes. Also AT&T's MO has always been to grandfather plans to existing customers and they seem to want to continue to do that, to their credit. So it seems clear that they do not want to lose all the Connected Car accounts and would rather just get them into compliance with the original intent, albeit some of the tactics seem a little self-defeating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    Only thing is that no one has come forward to claim responsibility nor say SIM swapping on the CCU is a no-no.

There are quite a few CSR that are technical and capable - I've had luck to deal with a few of them - so a blanket dismissal of what any of them say is bad detective work.

Sure AT&T is evil (can't say that about all the workers) and can and will do what they want and have no reason to tell us anything about what they do and I do believe they're behind it, but without any real evidence - just like people were yelling in the Spark thread - we're just speculating.
    A better group of people to ask would be the connected car dept, specifically a long term manager who Iím sure will have some idea about this change and what exactly theyíre trying to achieve.

Feedback Score

Mobley Sim to Hotspot

The reason they are not killing the plan is that it is still net positive for them. Customer acquisition costs are high so why would AT&T or anyone unnecessarily cancel a large number of solid postpaid plans? Connected Car may not provide quite the same ARPU as some other plans but I'm sure it is at least profitable, especially since the plan doesn't include voice services. They're not cancelling it because the plan probably makes money and they are in the business of making money.

That said, they have to control abuse where it is present but as mentioned earlier it's curious as to why they chose the relatively complex and expensive option of all the PIN subterfuge when they could have simply gone after the 100+ GB/month crowd and thus only affected high-usage customers instead of every customer, especially since the high-usage 'replace my ISP' users are the ones least likely to be affected by trying to PIN-lock a Mobley. The strategy doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

But I doubt they are going to kill the Mobley plan outright because, well, if that's what they wanted to do then that's what would be happening, vs. the Mobley changes. Also AT&T's MO has always been to grandfather plans to existing customers and they seem to want to continue to do that, to their credit. So it seems clear that they do not want to lose all the Connected Car accounts and would rather just get them into compliance with the original intent, albeit some of the tactics seem a little self-defeating.
    There isnít a data cap on the Mobley CCU plan. When I first got it it showed a cap of 999 and I called the CCU dept and asked. They said it was only a # but itís truly unlimited with no caps.

Therefore why even go after the 100GB+ users? You can use more than that with the Mobley plugged into the OBD in your RV or camper van.

I assume they can change the ToS of the Mobley plan to reflect this and give a 30 day notice if you want to cancel.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast