Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Thoughts On Marcelo's Comments?

Here is an article talking about some comments from CEO Marcelo Claure:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sp...aise-unlimited

Things I found interesting included the fact that prices will be raised for unlimited data next year, 5G will be offered nationwide on 2.5Ghz spectrum in the first half of 2019 and there should be expanded coverage. Not too big on prices going up just because Verizon and AT&T charges more, but I'm happy that coverage will be expanding. What do you guys think?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think they need to raise prices to fund the upgrades they've been promising. However, asking customers to fund that expansion before it's done is always a hard sell.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Part of it may be done since he said that half of their towers already has 2.5 Ghz capabilities already. It seems more like if everyone else is charging more, why are we charging so little? But if they can offer nationwide coverage, expanded coverage compared to what they have now and still be cheaper than what AT&T or Verizon offers, it will be worth considering for a number of customers.

Feedback Score
    I think I wasted five minutes of my life reading that puff piece.

Tell me where you are going to get the money to expand or deliver anything new in a widespread way Marcello, or you are just bloviating.

Not a Sprint hater: I have Sprint. I use Sprint. I like Sprint. Their coverage around here is ok - other places not so much.

I hope they succeed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I think they need to raise prices to fund the upgrades they've been promising. However, asking customers to fund that expansion before it's done is always a hard sell.
    It'd be nice to have another good nationwide option, but actually raising the prices for a distant 4th-place network experience BEFORE the network improves seems to go in the other direction. Especially with 5th place US Cellular lowering prices.

This move might make Sprint get worse in these ratings...

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...es-sprint.html
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it sounds a bit ridiculous to overpromise (again) while still under-delivering their network. We still don't even have VoLTE in 2018... Like maybe finish delivering your previous promises?

Staring At AT&T Towers All Day Long & Getting A Fn Woody Off Of Them!
    Device(s)
    AT&T Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Makes me glad I finally took my 6 lines and moved them to AT&T Wireless and not deal with the crap Sprint is pulling on people. It is night and day with AT&T. I get better service, I get a larger coverage area that is my #1 reason for myself leaving Sprint, I get faster responses of getting things done when there is a problem, I just feel much happier knowing I am not roaming on other carriers as much as I was with Sprint and not this crappy 100MB of data roaming at "2G Speeds". I hope they get going here but they lost a 16 year customer for their lack of getting the coverage built out natively NOT signing roaming agreements with other providers that's like taking the easy road and being LAZY not building their own network out and if they do it is far to late for me coming back to here cause it would be consider a downgrade from what I am enjoying now with AT&T.
    Phone: AT&T Galaxy Note 8
    Plan: AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line $225.00/mo. For 6 Devices
    Ins: AT&T Multi-Device Protection Pack $34.99

Airtouch: (VZW Now) 9/1997 - 7/2001 (Micro T-A-C Lite II Retired & Still Have 2 This Date) & Motorola SC-725 Retired
    Nextel: 7/2001 - 10/2010 (i2k+, i95cl, i860, i930, & i680 Retired)
    Sprint: 6/2008 - 12/19/2017 (ic902, v950, Blackberry Bold 9650/9930, Galaxy Note 2, 3, & 4 Retired)
    Airave: 06/2010 - 12/19/2017
    AT&T: 12/19/2017 - Current

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Project FI
    Feedback Score
    Context is everything. Keep in mind a large chunk of Sprint's customers are on the one year free plans, half off or some other discount plan. He can still raise those prices for those subscribers as per his words, and not raise prices that aren't promotional. How that goes over is anyone's guess.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I think it sounds a bit ridiculous to overpromise (again) while still under-delivering their network. We still don't even have VoLTE in 2018... Like maybe finish delivering your previous promises?
    I agree, they should be careful about promising things they can't achieve.

VoLTE isn't all it's cracked up to be. Try using VoLTE on band 12 with T-Mobile, it barely works. A correctly deployed VoLTE, that is something I'd like more.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJoe View Post
    I agree, they should be careful about promising things they can't achieve.

VoLTE isn't all it's cracked up to be. Try using VoLTE on band 12 with T-Mobile, it barely works. A correctly deployed VoLTE, that is something I'd like more.
    Then you have a broken phone. Over 70% PLUS of T-Mobile calls go over VoLTE. I have used Band 12 for years on VoLTE with T-Mobile and no issues. Yes, since Band 12 is only 5x5 Mhz it can get saturated but I have never experienced any issues making voice calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Then you have a broken phone. Over 70% PLUS of T-Mobile calls go over VoLTE. I have used Band 12 for years on VoLTE with T-Mobile and no issues. Yes, since Band 12 is only 5x5 Mhz it can get saturated but I have never experienced any issues making voice calls.
    I agree. I've been in area on both Verizon and T-Mobile where data literally has been >100kbps or just timing out, but VoLTE is crystal clear. If engineered correctly it should work great.

Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    No, the problem is with when TMO started pushing connections to band 12 even though a perfectly usable AWS LTE connection was available before hand.

When a band 12 connection is saturated, voice calls are terrible. They just didn't bother tuning the systems correctly. Band 12 should not be used when other bands are available.

Other VoLTE/VoWiFi calls are fine, from my experience.

Feedback Score

Well the whole idea of 2.5 GHz backhaul is really neat. If Sprint can make its backhaul Wireless it can put antennas a lot of places or otherwise couldn’t.
    So a Magic Box or MicroCell could have 1GB uplink and downlink on 2.5g and then redistribute that out to subscribers in the vicinity.

Just dreaming but Where this might eventually go is that any Internet Connection anywhere is available to anyone, similar to electricity. So Sprint has 2.5 ghz and not much fiber and Verizon has fiber and not as much 2.5 and I have WiFi and McDonalds has WiFi and you have a Mobile Hotspot and your friend has a Majoc Box. The device just chooses the best connection method.

Sort of like a Daisy Chain. Or maybe like how Skype utilizes random nodes across the internet to host its IM’s.

But all the carriers use Wireless backhaul to some degree.
    I can see Sprint perfecting this 5G wireless backhaul and AT&T and Verizon will snap their fingers and roll it out as well, but twice as fast. Microwave dishes on all the towers....Microcells everywhere...Sprint will test it the other carriers will follow.
    Last edited by techfranz; 02-04-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

I really hope it is true, but I also remember that Mr. Claure made this promise in 2015.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/18/tech...ork/index.html

"We will have the best network in the next two years”

also from a bit earlier in 2015
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rk-performance

I'm not here to trash Sprint, but given previous promises, I will believe it when I see evidence. Look at the degree T-mobile has improved in the last few years and how that has translated into growth in the number of customers. It could happen.
    Last edited by mch; 02-04-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    It sounds great but I too will believe it when I see it. When I switched to Sprint a couple of years ago, their coverage map stated there was LTE where I live. After we switched, we realized it was only 3G in the entire area (yes, we should have tested the network out before we switched but we mistakenly believed their map). When I called to complain, customer service said they were in the process of modernizing the area and guaranteed there would be LTE “within 6 months”. Two years later, it’s still 3G. As is much of the rest of the island. Meanwhile, T-Mobile went from zero LTE here in 2014 to having more LTE than Verizon locally. So I’d tend to have doubts about Sprint’s ambitious plans, though I’d love to see them actually compete on coverage as it would be good for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast