Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activating non-verizon branded phone on verizon mvno

Feedback Score

Activating non-verizon branded phone on verizon mvno

Specifically activating a phone on a verizon mvno that it is not branded verizon or whitelisted by verizon, but does 'work' on verizon.

The phone I have is an unlocked htc 10, I'm guessing there are other phones like this as well. The htc 10 works on verizon just fine if you put an already activated nano-sim in the phone.

Does anyone know of any other ways to get a phone like this activated on a verizon mvno? I am coming from a 3g phone so I do not have an already active sim. Seems like the only option I am coming up with is finding someone with a verizon phone that I can activate my sim card on.

Anyway if anyone has any other tips that would be great! wish verizon would just whitelist any unlocked phone with correct bands!

Feedback Score
    If the phone already works on verizon then you should have no problems activating the phone on other verizon mvno's

Feedback Score
    The ESN is not whitelisted (I think that is the correct term) by verizon, but it is also not blacklisted. So if you have an already active sim from your mvno you can just put the sim in the htc 10 and it will work fine. But you cannot activated a new sim with an ESN from an unlocked htc 10 because verizon and verizon mvno's don't have the esn whitelisted. that's the issue.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cedarknoll View Post
    The ESN is not whitelisted (I think that is the correct term) by verizon, but it is also not blacklisted. So if you have an already active sim from your mvno you can just put the sim in the htc 10 and it will work fine. But you cannot activated a new sim with an ESN from an unlocked htc 10 because verizon and verizon mvno's don't have the esn whitelisted. that's the issue.
    I know a lot of people buy the cheapest Vzw branded LTE phone with a clean ESN, even if it is not working, and use that ESN to activate a Vzw network SIM to swap into a non-whitelisted, but Vzw compatible device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I know a lot of people buy the cheapest Vzw branded LTE phone with a clean ESN, even if it is not working, and use that ESN to activate a Vzw network SIM to swap into a non-whitelisted, but Vzw compatible device.
    Interesting Thanks @Boz1. I have been thinking about doing this. I tried using the esn from a broken motox I have and the esn was accepted but the sim didn't work when I put it in my htc10. I was thinking that it didn't work because I never actually activated the sim on the motox. So I am thinking that I might have to buy a super cheap 4g phone that is in working condition.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Work on Verizon may not be enough. There was a post in the Boom thread? where someone used a ZTE phone IIRC that was Verizon capable and had their account deactivated because the ZTE phone they used was not an approved phone to use on Verizon. This was done by Verizon during an audit of Boom accounts by Verizon.

Feedback Score
    You should have no problem but I'd suggest initial activation with a smaller Verizon MVNO such as Boom as you're more likely to get a native English-speaking CS agent who knows what they are doing (or at least easily get escalated to one who does) if there are any issues. Trying to get problems resolved with the large cut-rate MVNOs (Straight Talk, Total Wireless, etc.) can quickly devolve into a nightmare of incompetency.

Feedback Score
    You can go into a store that sells BOOM plans and just have them test it. Or go to a Verizon store and have them test with a sim. Just don’t buy a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cedarknoll View Post
    Interesting Thanks @Boz1. I have been thinking about doing this. I tried using the esn from a broken motox I have and the esn was accepted but the sim didn't work when I put it in my htc10. I was thinking that it didn't work because I never actually activated the sim on the motox. So I am thinking that I might have to buy a super cheap 4g phone that is in working condition.
    That should have worked if the HTC 10 supports Verizon CDMA and LTE bands. It wasn't because the SIM was never in the Moto X.

I agree with the other poster - go to a Verizon store (preferably a corporate store) and have them check if the phone will work on Verizon using an active Verizon SIM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    You can go into a store that sells BOOM plans and just have them test it. Or go to a Verizon store and have them test with a sim. Just don’t buy a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What stores sell Boom?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    You should have no problem but I'd suggest initial activation with a smaller Verizon MVNO such as Boom as you're more likely to get a native English-speaking CS agent who knows what they are doing (or at least easily get escalated to one who does) if there are any issues. Trying to get problems resolved with the large cut-rate MVNOs (Straight Talk, Total Wireless, etc.) can quickly devolve into a nightmare of incompetency.
    I tried RedPocket, I think they might be on the larger mvno side. Basically couldn't find a customer service agent who understood what I was talking about. (honestly that has been my experience with red pocket on other issues as well) They kept repeating that the esn wasn't compatible. Yeah trying an mvno like Boom or Selectel might be worth it, especially if I could get a free sim or something, just to make sure I can convince them to activate it before spending the money on a plan.

But yeah I agree this would be ideal way to go, convincing an mvno to activate the htc10 for me, or possibly sending me an already active sim that I can just put in my phone. I'll report back if I get this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    That should have worked if the HTC 10 supports Verizon CDMA and LTE bands. It wasn't because the SIM was never in the Moto X.

I agree with the other poster - go to a Verizon store (preferably a corporate store) and have them check if the phone will work on Verizon using an active Verizon SIM.
    I have verified that the phone works fine on Verizon. Just doesn't have a cleared for verizon esn. So its hard to convince anyone haha

thanks for all the input everyone!

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just as a side note I would not suggest doing a sim swap to activate a non whitelisted phone.

Some people have tried this with the Axon 7 and Verizon disconnected the line.

VoLTE also won't work most likely and they are in the process of shutting down CDMA-2000

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Work on Verizon may not be enough. There was a post in the Boom thread? where someone used a ZTE phone IIRC that was Verizon capable and had their account deactivated because the ZTE phone they used was not an approved phone to use on Verizon. This was done by Verizon during an audit of Boom accounts by Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    Just as a side note I would not suggest doing a sim swap to activate a non whitelisted phone.

Some people have tried this with the Axon 7 and Verizon disconnected the line.

VoLTE also won't work most likely and they are in the process of shutting down CDMA-2000

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Are "some people" possibly the same person mentioned by mathfaster? Do you have links to posts about other cases?

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    Are "some people" possibly the same person mentioned by mathfaster? Do you have links to posts about other cases?
    Yes, it was one person with an Axon 7. But let's not let that get in the way of a good "Verizon will shut you down" story.

There was also one person on Slickdeals that reported that their line on Red Pocket/Verizon was "hotlined". Turned out they used more than 3000 minutes in a month on an unlimited plan and Red Pocket cut them off.

There were others that reported getting a text message that their phone wasn't authorized or something like that and they needed to swap to one that is. Nothing came of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Yes, it was one person with an Axon 7. But let's not let that get in the way of a good "Verizon will shut you down" story.

There was also one person on Slickdeals that reported that their line on Red Pocket/Verizon was "hotlined". Turned out they used more than 3000 minutes in a month on an unlimited plan and Red Pocket cut them off.

There were others that reported getting a text message that their phone wasn't authorized or something like that and they needed to swap to one that is. Nothing came of it.
    Yes indeed! What starts off as a question or just speculation gets changed into "fact" pretty quickly on some of these boards. I've only read a single first-hand account of a user having service terminated for using an "unauthorized" device. Thanks for confirming that it's rare for it to happen!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast