Thread: AT&T iPhone 7 Plus - do I need to get it unlocked?

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score

AT&T iPhone 7 Plus - do I need to get it unlocked?

First of all I've never owned an iPhone so I don't know much about them other than that my wife wants one. She used her friend's iPhone and says that the reception was much better than with her own Moto G4. (I know that there are a dozen other factors that could have effected the reception, but I'm not going to go there.)

A neighbor whom I know and trust is selling his iPhone 7 Plus that's AT&T branded. Question: can I use this iPhone with any AT&T MVNO? Do I need to get it unlocked? I've read here about unlocking issues with the iPhone but it seems to be mainly with Verizon MVNOs. The AT&T MVNOs that I'm familiar with (Red Pocket, AirVoice, Pure Talk, H2O) all have more-or-less the same price structure and coverage. My wife is currently with Boom! but I can have her number ported. AT&T coverage is as good as VZW where we live so that's not a problem.

Are there any issues I should be aware of or questions I should ask my neighbor? He did a factory reset and unlinked his iCloud account.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    First of all I've never owned an iPhone so I don't know much about them other than that my wife wants one. She used her friend's iPhone and says that the reception was much better than with her own Moto G4. (I know that there are a dozen other factors that could have effected the reception, but I'm not going to go there.)

A neighbor whom I know and trust is selling his iPhone 7 Plus that's AT&T branded. Question: can I use this iPhone with any AT&T MVNO? Do I need to get it unlocked? I've read here about unlocking issues with the iPhone but it seems to be mainly with Verizon MVNOs. The AT&T MVNOs that I'm familiar with (Red Pocket, AirVoice, Pure Talk, H2O) all have more-or-less the same price structure and coverage. My wife is currently with Boom! but I can have her number ported. AT&T coverage is as good as VZW where we live so that's not a problem.

Are there any issues I should be aware of or questions I should ask my neighbor? He did a factory reset and unlinked his iCloud account.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
    No your fine. Should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Your neighbor should unlock the iPhone before you complete the purchase.

Feedback Score
    Make sure his obligation with the phone being paid off is also met.

Feedback Score
    IPhone plans tend to lock the phone to the original company for one to two years of payments. Check that is all paid off.

Check that all passwords are turned off.

Check that FIND MY IPHONE is turned off

Check the serial number with BOOM to make sure they say it can activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Just an FYI - The iphone native texting app Imessage will not work via Apple servers on AT&T Red Pocket, Airvoice, or H2O - it will work on PureTalk USA because they have certification with Apple. Instead, with the other 3 services, all text messages will be sent as SMS & photos will have trouble sending, if at all.

Verizon mvno's do not have this problem - so Imessage on Red pocket Verizon would work fine & dandy. The others don't offer Verizon.
    However, this phone may not have the cdma radio's ........ but it may as well ........ I just don't know.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    How would he do that? Thanks for your reply.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    IPhone plans tend to lock the phone to the original company for one to two years of payments. Check that is all paid off.
    He says it's "practically new" so I suspect that he has not owned it for long. I'll make sure it's paid for. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    This, otherwise do not buy the phone.

If it isn't paid for they will not unlock it.