Thread: Verizon PP Moto G4 Play unlocked GSM

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Verizon PP Moto G4 Play unlocked GSM

I have the Verizon PP Moto G4 Play (XT1609), in addition to the Verizon PP Moto E4 (XT1767). The G4 Play didn't support any GSM bands like the Moto E4. After unlocking the G4 Play, I tried my FreedomPop LTE AT&T SIM in it and it would get LTE bands 2 & 4, but not 17. The Moto E4 does support band 17 with the AT&T SIM after unlocking.

I recently flashed a new GSM unlocked ROM following this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g4-...erted-t3722439

I can report that the GSM unlocked Verizon PP Moto G4 Play now supports WCDMA (HSPA+), LTE band 17 and I'm able to get VoLTE on my T-Mobile SIM, something not working on the Verizon PP Moto E4.

I haven't yet seen LTE band 12, but have no reason to believe it wouldn't support it, since the unlocked retail Moto G4 Play (XT1607) supports it.

Feedback Score

Verizon PP Moto G4 Play unlocked GSM

I doubt you will see band 12 on the XT1609. That's what caused me to buy the XT1607. It had way more bands available whereas the XT1609 eliminated GSM bands and was mainly for Verizon CDMA. That's my understanding, anyway.

I also get VoLTE on my XT1607 with a TMobile SIM. Doesn't happen on my Verizon MVNO that I currently use.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I doubt you will see band 12 on the XT1609.
    Correct, the XT1609 only supports 2, 4, 5, & 13.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I doubt you will see band 12 on the XT1609. That's what caused me to buy the XT1607. It had way more bands available whereas the XT1609 eliminated GSM bands and was mainly for Verizon CDMA. That's my understanding, anyway.

I also get VoLTE on my XT1607 with a TMobile SIM. Doesn't happen on my Verizon MVNO that I currently use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Correct, the XT1609 only supports 2, 4, 5, & 13.
    The ROM that I flashed basically converts the XT1609 into an XT1607. Before I flashed it, I couldn't get band 17 when I inserted my FreedomPop LTE SIM (AT&T), now it does. Before I flashed it, I couldn't get HSPA+ when I inserted my FreedomPop Global SIM (T-Mobile), now it does.

I didn't test my T-Mobile Prepaid SIM in it before I flashed, but I suspect it wouldn't have worked and now it does. I'll have to test the T-Mobile Prepaid SIM in another XT1609 that I have that isn't flashed.

The only difference between the XT1607 and the XT1609 that I've flashed as far as I can see, is the XT1609 can't be activated on Sprint/Sprint MVNOs and its bootloader can't be unlocked. That said, root is achievable at least until rebooting with another exploit discussed on XDA.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    After you flashed with this ROM, is settings showing the model as a 1607? I've read various XDA posts on SD in the past that indicated that the hardware has most of the bands but they were blocked by the software.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the whole xt160x series share the same hardware. Differences are in the software and what bits are enabled/disabled so certain carrier features work or don't work. Also certain esn's are in sprint's database, others are not. Reading the xda thread, it's unclear if att voice works (few reports of calls getting dropped as soon as picked up). One easy test with the fp lte sim would be to call 611. When I do this on my xt1607 (real xt1607) with lineageos, I get the att greeting.

@bw01 can you post a pic of the settings about page, specifically the section of the OS versions. I wonder if that firmware is nothing more than the RETUS version of the xt1607 rom. Fastboot accepts it without bootloader unlock because rom images are signed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Under Hardware information, it still shows SKU as XT1609. Software Variant shows verizon.

Name:  Screenshot_20180201-142617.png
Views: 238
Size:  78.0 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I think the whole xt160x series share the same hardware. Differences are in the software and what bits are enabled/disabled so certain carrier features work or don't work. Also certain esn's are in sprint's database, others are not. Reading the xda thread, it's unclear if att voice works (few reports of calls getting dropped as soon as picked up). One easy test with the fp lte sim would be to call 611. When I do this on my xt1607 (real xt1607) with lineageos, I get the att greeting.

@bw01 can you post a pic of the settings about page, specifically the section of the OS versions. I wonder if that firmware is nothing more than the RETUS version of the xt1607 rom. Fastboot accepts it without bootloader unlock because rom images are signed.
    When I try calling 611 with my FP LTE SIM, I get a busy signal on both my XT1607 with stock firmware and my XT1609 with special flashed firmware. When I tried it initially in the XT1609, it disconnected immediately. I checked settings in the Network Mode app and under "Set preferred network type:", it was set to "LTE Only" and I changed it to "LTE/GSM auto (PRL)" and then it worked. I suspect that's why others calls are being dropped or not connecting.

Based on what I read, it seems this ROM was created or facilitated by the initroot exploit.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not familiar with initroot (although it would be interesting to try on the xt1528 because that uses the same soc at the g4 play).

Depending on how the firmware signatures are implemented in the device, it could very well be possible to flash a different variant to it. Looking at the zip archive, it looks similar to typical files included in a full motorola firmware image.

Prior to flashing lineageos i let the phone update itself to the latest version. With lineageos installed, hard to do an apples/apples comparison, but your baseband version is nearly identical.

Your comment about LTE only is makes sense. The phone drops down to 3g mode to make calls (without volte). If it can't, then the call is dropped.