Thread: Warning about Galaxy s8 and Verizon straight talk

Feedback Score

Warning about Galaxy s8 and Verizon straight talk

I'm sure this may apply to more cases too, but just a heads up, if you insert a straight talk sim into a Verizon s8 running the latest update, the phone automatically restarts and loads the TracFone firmware, and you lose VoLTE and visual voicemail! From what I understand, all carrier branded s8s that are updated and happe to be unlocked (Verizon is unlocked by default) will load the firmware of the carrier of which whatever sim is inserted.

Feedback Score
    Just a quick update, I noticed today a new visual voicemail client downloaded which now works and VoLTE is working again! Looks like straight talk/tracfone is starting to unify things under their own brand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Man... i wish i could get VoLTE working on my GS7 edge. when I try to activate it, it attempts to connect to vzw servers and says it encounters an error.

Feedback Score

Auto Carrier Switch

Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    I'm sure this may apply to more cases too, but just a heads up, if you insert a straight talk sim into a Verizon s8 running the latest update, the phone automatically restarts and loads the TracFone firmware, and you lose VoLTE and visual voicemail! From what I understand, all carrier branded s8s that are updated and happe to be unlocked (Verizon is unlocked by default) will load the firmware of the carrier of which whatever sim is inserted.
    Hey Bro;
    This same thing happened to me with my Verizon S8+ I was using the straight talk/Tracfone sim card with my stock Verizon S8+ no problems then an OTA update came thru from 7.0 to 8.0 and i hit accept, updated and when it rebooted it Tracfone, Like WTF!! My question is did or were you able to get back to your original carrier if so HOW??? Reply back at dtyrell69 at gmail

Appreciate any help, Thanks D.T

Feedback Score
    All you have to do is disable auto pre config in apps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeedt View Post
    Hey Bro;
    This same thing happened to me with my Verizon S8+ I was using the straight talk/Tracfone sim card with my stock Verizon S8+ no problems then an OTA update came thru from 7.0 to 8.0 and i hit accept, updated and when it rebooted it Tracfone, Like WTF!! My question is did or were you able to get back to your original carrier if so HOW??? Reply back at dtyrell69 at gmail

Appreciate any help, Thanks D.T
    Just pop a Verizon sim in and it goes back.