Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Rumors of an affordable iPhone

It seems like every couple of years, a rumor surfaces about Apple working on a budget iPhone thats supposed to be more affordable. WWDC comes and goes and all we have gotten so far are the iPhone 5C, and the iPhone SE. These weren't quite what I was expecting. First of all, the iPhone SE when it was released was $449. I'd hardly call that affordable. 2nd, it seems to be marketing to people who actually want the smaller screen size. I was thinking of something with a 5 inch screen, maybe a processor equivilant to a snapdragon 600 series, 8MP Camera, Finger Print Sensor, and a plastic shell for $149

Phone
    too many to list
    Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    when the se first came out Apple should of priced it at 299

Sent from my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    In another thread, it was suggested that $300 could not purchase a well made telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoy1996 View Post
    a Moto G5S Plus costs almost 300 dollars. Anything less than that is absolute crap and not acceptable phone. where am i going to get 300 dollars? are you going to give it to me?
    Last edited by efparri; 01-31-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking of something with a 5 inch screen, maybe a processor equivilant to a snapdragon 600 series, 8MP Camera, Finger Print Sensor, and a plastic shell for $149
    You can get a pre-loved iPhone 6 for about $200. That's probably the closest to what you're looking for.

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/...476821850.html
    https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/...479926019.html

Or better yet, for about $250 you can get a pre-loved iPhone 6S, which is a much better deal IMHO:

https://austin.craigslist.org/mob/d/...480079624.html
    https://austin.craigslist.org/mob/d/...479478431.html

For the extra $50 you get a lot of improvements:

• 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB
    • 5 MP front cam instead of 1.2 MP
    • 12 MP rear cam instead of 8 MP
    • 802.11ac Wi-Fi @ 866 Mbps instead of 433 Mbps
    • LTE DL @ 300 Mbps instead of 150 Mbps
    Last edited by XFF; 01-31-2018 at 08:49 PM.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking 3.2" screen, 4GB internal storage, 512MB RAM, & a 2MP camera. All for $199.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I was thinking 3.2" screen, 4GB internal storage, 512MB RAM, & a 2MP camera. All for $199.
    why on earth would you think those horrible specs would cost 200 dollars?

Phone
    iPhone X, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 13”
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    What?! That’s like a cheap iPhone 4s...

Sent from my iPhone X on Fido’s network using Tapatalk Pro.

Feedback Score
    I meant I don't believe they'll produce an affordable iphone.

Phone
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    What?! That’s like a cheap iPhone 4s...

Sent from my iPhone X on Fido’s network using Tapatalk Pro.
    Except that the specs given is worse than the 4s had.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Phone
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It seems like every couple of years, a rumor surfaces about Apple working on a budget iPhone thats supposed to be more affordable. WWDC comes and goes and all we have gotten so far are the iPhone 5C, and the iPhone SE. These weren't quite what I was expecting. First of all, the iPhone SE when it was released was $449. I'd hardly call that affordable. 2nd, it seems to be marketing to people who actually want the smaller screen size. I was thinking of something with a 5 inch screen, maybe a processor equivilant to a snapdragon 600 series, 8MP Camera, Finger Print Sensor, and a plastic shell for $149
    Your idea of and affordable iPhone and Apple's idea of an affodable iPhone are vastly different.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The 5c, I think, largely has been regarded as a flop -- built from leftovers in the parts bin and garish colored plastic. The SE, I think, has done much better because it looked like the oththey didn't cheap out on the insides; they just put a 6s in a smaller package. It's a lot different from the 5c. It's also the smallest iPhone you can buy new. And it's not like anyone else makes iPhones (legally).

Apple has never offered bargain-priced products. It's just not where they want to be in the market. And it doesn't seem to have hurt them much from a financial standpoint. They're about the only company making serious money in mobile.

Apple prices stuff as they see fit and almost all of it sells. People gasped at the idea of a $1000+ iPhone X but Apple sold 77 million of them last quarter and they likely will move at least that many more before the X's end of life. You can buy much cheaper laptops, tablets, and routers than Apple's but MacBook Pros, iPads and AirPorts still sell.

Apple has no need to cheapen their brand with "affordable" phones any more than Leica needs to sell a $400 camera. That's what carrier subsidies and the used market are for.

Feedback Score
    Define affordable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    ....Apple prices stuff as they see fit and almost all of it sells. People gasped at the idea of a $1000+ iPhone X but Apple sold 77 million of them last quarter and they likely will move at least that many more before the X's end of life. You can buy much cheaper laptops, tablets, and routers than Apple's but MacBook Pros, iPads and AirPorts still sell.

Apple has no need to cheapen their brand with "affordable" phones any more than Leica needs to sell a $400 camera. That's what carrier subsidies and the used market are for.
    QFT

As you said, "almost all of it sells".

Although I'd pay to see a video of apple crushing thousands of iwatches of the hundreds of thousands that did not sell.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    QFT

As you said, "almost all of it sells".

Although I'd pay to see a video of apple crushing thousands of iwatches of the hundreds of thousands that did not sell.
    The way Apple does things, the watches would most likely be recycled, not crushed.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    The way Apple does things, the watches would most likely be recycled, not crushed.
    Why not give them away to people who cannot afford to buy one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast