Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please help - why is my phone's Verizon so unreliable?

Feedback Score

Please help - why is my phone's Verizon so unreliable?

So I recently bought a bundled TF Verizon LunaPro on HSN. I went with Verizon because people here swear by Verizon's coverage. They get Verizon coverage even remote up the mountains. Verizon's prepaid coverage map shows great coverage for this area.

But for me, this Verizon phone has been quite unreliable. It only very rarely shows all bars for signal strength. People have called me when I am inside a store and the call hasn't rung for me. There is a huge delay in getting text messages, sometimes as much as 15 minutes. I have sent texts to this phone from a different phone, and the text reaches me after 8 minutes! When I am inside the local Walmart, the phone shows zero bars for almost all the time. When I am driving around town (not up remote in the mountains, but in town), the phone has barely 2 bars of signal.

Why is this happening? How come Verizon's signal is so poor on this phone when everyone else here sings Verizon's praises? Is it because Verizon doesn't treat Tracfone well? Is it because HSN phones aren't good? Is my particular LunaPro a lemon? Have others here experienced similar things? Please help! This is driving me crazy!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Where are you using the phone that is having poor coverage ?? Are you certain that the phone has the correct bands ??
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Are you certain that the phone has the correct bands ??
    It's a Tracfone Verizon Luna Pro that I purchased last month from HSN, it came bundled with minutes and one year. I sure hope they didn't sell me a phone without the correct bands!!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live within the city limit of Topeka KS (population 125,000) and my phones on AT&T and Verizon almost never show 5 bars. Usually 2 to 4 bars. But even at 2 bars I never had any dropped call. You might want to download and run the free Network Signal Info app and see what it shows. It's more meaningful when comparing signal using numerical values instead of the number of bars.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Jettable,

Do you known anyone with same model?

I haven't seen complaints about the Luna Pro being a poor signal grabber, so my first guess is a bad device.

It's meant for Verizon, so I don't think it's band support.
    Maybe it doesn't have band 4, but that's XLTE, and I've never seen better coverage on band 4 vs the main LTE band (band 13).

But that's not used foe voice, which is still using CDMA.
    Verizon has shut down some CDMA. It's possible CDMA coverage is poor and you friend are using VoLTE with Verizon (which TF doesn't offer/support).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    So I recently bought a bundled TF Verizon LunaPro on HSN. I went with Verizon because people here swear by Verizon's coverage. They get Verizon coverage even remote up the mountains. Verizon's prepaid coverage map shows great coverage for this area.

But for me, this Verizon phone has been quite unreliable. It only very rarely shows all bars for signal strength. People have called me when I am inside a store and the call hasn't rung for me. There is a huge delay in getting text messages, sometimes as much as 15 minutes. I have sent texts to this phone from a different phone, and the text reaches me after 8 minutes! When I am inside the local Walmart, the phone shows zero bars for almost all the time. When I am driving around town (not up remote in the mountains, but in town), the phone has barely 2 bars of signal.

Why is this happening? How come Verizon's signal is so poor on this phone when everyone else here sings Verizon's praises? Is it because Verizon doesn't treat Tracfone well? Is it because HSN phones aren't good? Is my particular LunaPro a lemon? Have others here experienced similar things? Please help! This is driving me crazy!
    Either you have a defective phone
    Or your in a poor native verizon coverage area. Remember that tracfone verizon phones do not roam.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My wife has the same phone. Outstanding coverage all over New England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    My guess is the phone is not receiving 850 mhz CDMA. Had the same thing happen with a Motorola Droid. Install the network signal app suggested above & you can check to see if this is the case.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How happy are other Verizon customers in your area? Verizon's coverage is good but it's not magic -- some people here have to go with AT&T because Verizon has poor coverage. It all depends on where you go.. no one carrier will be perfect everywhere. You may be better off with AT&T in your area unless all carriers struggle. T-Mobile is the best all around carrier for me but all four of the major carriers have been building out their networks since the mid 90's where I am so it's just price and speed that's the main concern. Any carrier is fine coverage wise, even Sprint
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 8 Plus
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6 [AT&T] & iPhone 7 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z915 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    I have an S7 Edge on Tracfone/Verizon. The coverage for Verizon, and all the other carriers where I live isn't great, 1 to 2 bars at my house. This is usually adequate for calls and texts, except in busy times, then I get "extended network ", ie., roaming and Tracfone doesn't have roaming. I believe that Tracfone gets lower priority on the towers than "real" Verizon subscribers.

I don't have coverage inside the local Walmart either, big buildings with thick walls interfere with the signal apparently.

Sent from my SM-T713 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leeonine View Post
    I have an S7 Edge on Tracfone/Verizon. The coverage for Verizon, and all the other carriers where I live isn't great, 1 to 2 bars at my house. This is usually adequate for calls and texts, except in busy times, then I get "extended network ", ie., roaming and Tracfone doesn't have roaming. I believe that Tracfone gets lower priority on the towers than "real" Verizon subscribers.

I don't have coverage inside the local Walmart either, big buildings with thick walls interfere with the signal apparently.

This is one of the reasons why I love using Hangouts so much. Even without a good cell signal, I can call and text from almost anyplace that has usable WiFi, including inside big box stores like Walmart, Meijer, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's, and most restaurants, etc.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know I have the bigger brother to the Luna Pro which is the Sky Pro. Most of the time I get 3 or 4 bars. The only time that I have seen 5 bars is when I first enter a XLTE area or very close to the towers. At least that is what I have seen with my Sky Pro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I love using Hangouts so much. Even without a good cell signal, I can call and text from almost anyplace that has usable WiFi, including inside big box stores like Walmart, Meijer, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's, and most restaurants, etc.
    Yes, I have both a Google Voice number + Hangouts, and a Magicjack + Magicapp. I can use either of those for calls and texts when the cell signal is bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Why is this happening? How come Verizon's signal is so poor on this phone when everyone else here sings Verizon's praises?
    The point was made that Verizon voice/text are primariy using the CDMA (1xRTT) network, and not LTE. There can be noticible differences in the signal strength for these networks off the same tower. There is a new Verizon tower in my town that is almost always strong with LTE - weak with 1xRTT than other towers in the area.

Most signal apps only give the data network reading. SignalCheck Lite will give both 1xRTT and LTE readings. I believe 1xRTT readings over - 110 dBm is the point of loosing the tower connection. LTE numbers are on anothe scale.

The text lag is a good indication of very weak signal. These will often come in when there is no voice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leeonine View Post
    Yes, I have both a Google Voice number + Hangouts, and a Magicjack + Magicapp. I can use either of those for calls and texts when the cell signal is bad.

How do you like the Magicjack app? I'm headed for the Caribbean in April and visiting a few island with staying first in St. Maartin for a 5 days. Would Magicjack be a good option there on wifi or would What'sApp work on wifi?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast