Thread: Axios: Trump administration is considering nationalizing 5G mobile network

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Axios: Trump administration is considering nationalizing 5G mobile network

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

The US government is considering a federal takeover of portions of the country's mobile broadband networks, according to documents obtained by Axios.

A National Security Council official presented senior members of the Trump administration and other agencies with information suggesting that the United States needs to centralize its 5G network by the end of President Donald Trump's first term as a safeguard against Chinese cybersecurity and economic threats, according to the documents.

In a PowerPoint presentation and memo obtained by Axios, two options were suggested: have the American government pay for and build a network, or have wireless providers build their own 5G networks.

Government control of 5G infrastructure would be unprecedented. The memo Axios obtained compared the nationalization of 5G to "the 21st century equivalent of the Eisenhower National Highway System."

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Seeing how government contracts and agencies work within even smaller scale telecom projects I can't see this being anything but a complete cluster if the government decides to take it upon themselves to build a network. I think it works better when the main telcos own and operate their networks, competitive bickering and competition within the business aside. Plus if they're worried about security you'd seemingly have only one network to take down instead of 3-4 independant ones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'd be interested to see what their arguments for a nationalized 5G network would be particularly from a Red administration.

But if they do it/build it I'd send in my resume.

Feedback Score
    I could see the Feds pressuring the cell companies against using Huawei equipment since Kaspersky was caught with classified CIA files and tool kits.

Absent the PowerPoint being included in either link, I am calling the story "fake news". I really don't believe any of the major US news are truthful given their activist approaches both pro and con since Trump was inaugurated. Don't tell me you have the PowerPoint, prove to me you have the PowerPoint presentation.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can read all 30 pages of the leaked memo/PowerPoint in the link below. Just click keep reading and PDF loads towards the end of the document.
    https://www.axios.com/trump-team-deb...b03d910ff.html

Has a lot of interesting info, including what major wireless/wire ISPs would think of the plan.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    After reading the supposed PowerPoint, I am skeptical since it is missing government markings and restriction indications. At least some of the ideas in the paper were discussed during the Obama administration.

Feedback Score
    So the goose-stepping comes before or after the US owned national 5G network? Before or after I'm confused.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I expect this to blow up tomorrow as the rest of the world wakes up.
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 01-29-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    https://www.axios.com/nationalizing-...am=top-stories

""T-Mobile is seen as a possible strong supporter of the proposals because it "lacks rich spectrum for nationwide 5G and would welcome more level playing field" with AT&T and Verizon""

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.axios.com/nationalizing-...am=top-stories

""T-Mobile is seen as a possible strong supporter of the proposals because it "lacks rich spectrum for nationwide 5G and would welcome more level playing field" with AT&T and Verizon""
    I guess that will make T-Mobile, trump mobile

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I guess that will make T-Mobile, trump mobile
    Too funny!!