Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Truphone thread 2018

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    My Truphone SIM worked fine in Honduras...however, as others have mentioned, get a local SIM card. Truphone cost over a buck a minute incoming and outgoing US calls as opposed to 4 or 5 cents using a local SIM card.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    My Truphone SIM worked fine in Honduras...however, as others have mentioned, get a local SIM card. Truphone calls were over a buck a minute incoming and outgoing US calls as opposed to 4 or 5 cents using a local SIM card.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    My Truphone SIM worked fine in Honduras...however, as others have mentioned, get a local SIM card. Truphone calls were over a buck a minute incoming and outgoing US calls as opposed to 4 or 5 cents using a local SIM card.
    It's practically always the case that you're better off buying a local SIM if you want the best rates. Comparing domestic SIMs to internationsl SIMs is kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison in my mind. Truphone only really stands out if you'll be in the eight Truphone countries, and especially the US, where it can actually work out being cheaper than domestic SIM options for light users.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile, Truphone, US Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Truphone only really stands out if you'll be in the eight Truphone countries, and especially the US, where it can actually work out being cheaper than domestic SIM options for light users.
    Agreed. Very light user here. I've spent $69 (not counting the $15 for the SIM) with Truphone since November of 2015. That works out to $2.16 per month.

The other Truphone account in this house is more active. She's gone through $135 in 24 months, for an average of $5.63 per month. I guess the Red Pocket $60/year 1/1/5 Ebay plan would be cheaper, but not by enough to make it worthwhile to change.

Besides, we like being able to touch down in France or Spain, turn the phones on, and use them the same as we would at home, for the same cost.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allears View Post
    Besides, we like being able to touch down in France or Spain, turn the phones on, and use them the same as we would at home, for the same cost.
    This. Totally agree. Although I think you're mistakenly including France as a Truphone country, which it isn't (higher rates, no free incoming calls).

That raises a disappointing fact: that Truphone hasn't expanded the list of Truphone zone countries at all since they started it in 2014. You'd think that with the new EU roaming law they could have at least expanded to allow free incoming calls throughout the EU. I would imagine their UK business has suffered greatly because of the new EU roaming law, but for their US product, it's kind of a golden opportunity to make their SIM the SIM for Americans traveling to Europe and wanting to get calls/texts from people. Though on that note, they'd probably need to start offering data packages as well.

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi all, my dad has a Truphone US some that he inadvertently let expire and it was shut off. How does he reactivate? Can he? How much does it cost? Does he just have to get another $30 sim?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post
    Hi all, my dad has a Truphone US some that he inadvertently let expire and it was shut off. How does he reactivate? Can he? How much does it cost? Does he just have to get another $30 sim?
    Just call Truphone's 24/7 support +1 646 360 1689.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post
    If you can find out how he let it expire, please tell us.
    Most here are under the assumption that they really do not expire.
    Did he run the balance to zero??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I have a Truphone SIM that was used pretty heavily for a little while, but the last usage was in Sept, 2016. The SIM has remained active and the remaining balance has remained unchanged since then.

rafster, as already asked above, please provide details about what's going on with your dad's Truphone SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I have a Truphone SIM that was used pretty heavily for a little while, but the last usage was in Sept, 2016. The SIM has remained active and the remaining balance has remained unchanged since then.
    Doesn't Truphone need activity every 3 months to keep it active?

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I don't recall anyone claiming to have a SIM die on them.
    I have 11 [don't ask] and have had none die on me.
    I keep putting off using a minute on each and never get around to it
    and all are still alive. Maybe in the next couple of days..........
    There is only one SIM I use regularly.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It's "officially" 180 days. But it's obviously not enforced in practice.

http://www.truphone.com/us/legal/tru...and-conditions
    7.10 If your account remains inactive for 180 days you will be taken by us to have terminated your account and no longer wish to receive services from us. Your number will be re-used and you will not receive any return of unused credit. The SIM card will be switched off automatically and you will receive no notice of this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It's "officially" 180 days. But it's obviously not enforced in practice.

http://www.truphone.com/us/legal/tru...and-conditions
    7.10 If your account remains inactive for 180 days you will be taken by us to have terminated your account and no longer wish to receive services from us. Your number will be re-used and you will not receive any return of unused credit. The SIM card will be switched off automatically and you will receive no notice of this.
    Guess I'm too chicken to take the chance! Don't like the sound of " The SIM card will be switched off automatically and you will receive no notice of this"

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Like others have said you are supposed to. I have gone more than that at times. I would not at all push it though.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    Like others have said you are supposed to. I have gone more than that at times. I would not at all push it though.
    Like I said, it's officially 180 days per the TOS I quoted above, not 3 months. But I do agree. If the SIM is important and/or has a large balance, it should be used once every 180 days to be safe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast