Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Does anyone know Verizon's prioritization rankings?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    271
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does anyone know Verizon's prioritization rankings?

    I just got a Verizon phone and am switching from Mint (T-Mobile) to Verizon. Does anyone know the prioritization rankings between postpaid Verizon, prepaid Verizon, and which Verizon MVNOs have priority over others?

    I'd likes one that doesn't throttle speed to 5mbps download as well.

    I assume postpaid has 1st priority, and Verizon prepaid 2nd priority. Do Verizon MVNOs (such as Page Plus, Boom, Red Pocket) have the same priority as Verizon Prepaid?

    Also, do certain MVNOs have higher priority?
    Last edited by grayson73; 01-13-2018 at 06:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,001
    Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post
    I just got a Verizon phone and am switching from Mint (T-Mobile) to Verizon. Does anyone know the prioritization rankings between postpaid Verizon, postpaid Verizon, and which Verizon MVNOs have priority over others?

    I'd likes one that doesn't throttle speed to 5mbps download as well.

    I assume postpaid has 1st priority, and Verizon prepaid 2nd priority. Do Verizon MVNOs (such as Page Plus, Boom, Red Pocket) have the same priority as Verizon Prepaid?

    Also, do certain MVNOs have higher priority?
    Verizon says that Verizon Prepaid has a lower priority than postpaid.

    The contracts between Verizon and its MVNOs are considered confidential business information. Verizon almost never mentions its MVNOs and the MVNOs are not allowed to even say that they use the Verizon network, let alone how they are prioritized. But I think it's safe to say that MVNOs are not prioritized above Verizon Prepaid. Anything else is speculation.

    TracFone has announced that its brands don't have the 5 mbps cap and that's been confirmed by users. The cap was recently removed from Boom Mobile too. There may be other uncapped Verizon MVNOs but those are the only ones I can think of offhand.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 01-13-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    271
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    My wife is on Puppy Wireless. I just ran a speed test and got 81 ms latency, 27.96 Mbps download, and 5.93 Mbps upload

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's been months since I've been on the forum, so even tho this thread is 3 months old I'll comment about my experience. We spend some time during the summer in the Donnelly/McCall area of central Idaho. I don't use my phone much for text and calls so can't really comment about those services, but I can tell you Puppy Wireless sucks hind teat when it comes to data. On busy holiday weekends the Verizon cell tower gets loaded pretty heavy and many times I can't get a 4G LTE, or even 3G, data connection at all. Often, when I do get the connection the data rate is slow, sometimes down in the 200 kbs or less range, IIRC. On non holiday weekends late at night, for example, data rate can be fairly high. Here again, IIRC, it has been upwards of 750 kbs or better. There's no question that the Puppy MVNO at least, gets much less priority when demand for capacity is high. I've kind of learned when to not even try for data.

    Part of the problem up there, I think, may be older tower equipment also.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    668
    Feedback Score
    0
    Donnelly/McCall area is a couple of hours from me. I'm on Selectel and it's been good for me. I tried Boom for a couple of months and it was about like your experience with Puppy. Northern Idaho has put up towers where there were none so things are much improved in the last couple of years. I stay with Selectel because I have no problems and they have domestic roaming, which is needed in my area.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,375
    Feedback Score
    0
    You get what you pay for. I am on Total Wireless, one of Tracfone brands, operating on VZW network. When I am at work (or at home, but that's irrelevant since I have WiFI) I get great speeds most of the time. IMO that's irrelevant on a limited data plan.
    If I am on highway, in stopped traffic, or in a place with lots of people stuck in one place with nothing to do (hospitals, convention centers, etc) the connectivity starts to suffer of de-prioritizing to the point that webpages load time start to crawl. But, again, that's very seldom and I think it happens for everyone.
    As for phone making a difference, it's true to an extent. With my older phone (Moto G4 Plus) I was getting speeds around 30-40Mbps DL. I just tested the speed with my new S7 Edge now, at home on same LTE, and... holly cow! It used 170MB of data for the test, so I won't repeat it. 126Mbps DL, 45MBps UL and 77ms ping!
    Would that make a difference in real life? Heck no!

    Name:  SpeedTest.png
Views: 3629
Size:  21.0 KB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    953
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's really hard to differentiate deprioritization and network congestion. For example there are times where I can literally pull less than 1Mbps on POSTPAID with my company phone -- that's only really the "last mile or so" of my bus commute into NYC from the NJ side of the Lincoln Tunnel. Simple web pages (like HoFo) lag and then load at dial-up speeds, while this same phone will pull 50+ Mbps at home in the evening in the suburbs.

    In determining any deprioritization, they won't likely provide zero to certain users and 20Mbps to postpaid users -- rather they'll slow certain users more than others (but not to a crawl unless the site is really getting clobbered).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    450
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    As for priority, there is a post on the Verizon prepaid thread that shows a Walmart post showing prepaid has a different priority than postpaid. Here is the link, see post 105
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Updates/page7

    I have Verizon prepay and I can tell you last week at a grocery store, I could not get any pages to load, even after restarting the phone. With ATT prepay, I had no problems.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    590
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    TracFone has announced that its brands don't have the 5 mbps cap and that's been confirmed by users. The cap was recently removed from Boom Mobile too. There may be other uncapped Verizon MVNOs but those are the only ones I can think of offhand.
    Xfinity Mobile, if it has a cap, has one higher than 5 mpbs. The latency on XM is high though, in the 150ms+ range.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,950
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    TracFone has announced that its brands don't have the 5 mbps cap and that's been confirmed by users.
    Ya,.... and replaced with mind numbing deprioritization that slows data speeds to a crawl. In my experience Xfinity Mobile is worse than Tracfone (VZW).
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks, months now a year+ TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers, especially BYOP.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    99
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is prioritization for calling the same as data between postpaid and prepaid? I went to a shopping center yesterday and couldn't make calls. I am using Cricket and want to switch to Verizon, I wonder if there is any difference between postpaid and prepaid for making calls.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,146
    Feedback Score
    0
    I experienced that in some congested areas problem until I switched to a Cricket Wireless VLLRE capable phone- https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...le-phones.html but not after.Not sure about Verzion.

    Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    Is prioritization for calling the same as data bhttps://www.cricketwireless.com/support/great-big-network/compatible-phones.htmletween postpaid and prepaid? I went to a shopping center yesterday and couldn't make calls. I am using Cricket and want to switch to Verizon, I wonder if there is any difference between postpaid and prepaid for making calls.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,003
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    I experienced that in some congested areas problem until I switched to a Cricket Wireless VLLRE capable phone- https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...le-phones.html but not after.Not sure about Verzion.
    Is that supposed to say VoLTE, or is VLLRE something different?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,146
    Feedback Score
    0
    typo should be - VoLTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Is that supposed to say VoLTE, or is VLLRE something different?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    It's been months since I've been on the forum, so even tho this thread is 3 months old I'll comment about my experience. We spend some time during the summer in the Donnelly/McCall area of central Idaho. I don't use my phone much for text and calls so can't really comment about those services, but I can tell you Puppy Wireless sucks hind teat when it comes to data. On busy holiday weekends the Verizon cell tower gets loaded pretty heavy and many times I can't get a 4G LTE, or even 3G, data connection at all. Often, when I do get the connection the data rate is slow, sometimes down in the 200 kbs or less range, IIRC. On non holiday weekends late at night, for example, data rate can be fairly high. Here again, IIRC, it has been upwards of 750 kbs or better. There's no question that the Puppy MVNO at least, gets much less priority when demand for capacity is high. I've kind of learned when to not even try for data.

    Part of the problem up there, I think, may be older tower equipment also.
    I was just up there again this past week. Data speed is now down to about 70 kbs. The only comforting aspect of it as far as Verizon customers vs MVNO customers was my nephew, who is a VZ customer, had no better download speeds than I did being on Red Pocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 08:52 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:05 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 07:44 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2002, 01:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks