Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Why do you all stay with Verizon

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Adding 600 MHz onto one tower isn’t “problem solved.” The way to address this issue is to build more sites. A lot of sites across the US are already full, and have no space left. This is especially the case in rural areas.
    I didn’t say add 600 to existing TMobile sites. I said add TMobile antenna to already existing towers. There are plenty of towers in rural areas they can colocate on. No need to construct new towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I meant national forest, in Colorado there is major highways that pass through these areas so there's no service for easily 20 miles in spots. IDK what they'll do when they shut 1x down but I can't imagine they'll leave everything hanging. Surely when they shut it down someone somewhere will come out of the woodwork saying it was their only form of service in some small one horse town and was their lifeline.
    My company relies on 1x for equipment in basements of Manhattan since they usually lose LTE. Unless Verizon begins dishing out a bunch of LTE network extenders, I'd say 1x will be around a bit longer than they anticipated.

Btw, I love Verizon. Very good in the NYC maker

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    My company relies on 1x for equipment in basements of Manhattan since they usually lose LTE. Unless Verizon begins dishing out a bunch of LTE network extenders, I'd say 1x will be around a bit longer than they anticipated.

Btw, I love Verizon. Very good in the NYC maker

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    The first time I was impressed with 1x calling was back in 2002. I was 4 miles out in the ocean off the coast of New Hampshire. My friend was able to make a phone call on Verizon while my AT&T line had no service . Those were the days of TDMA, and reception was very spotty with AT&T. They need to keep 1x as a backup because it comes in extremely handy . Also agree on Verizon’s network in NYC . They do need more density though by MSG, speeds have been quite slow in that area while AT&T has improved

Feedback Score
    I was with everyone before. but last year moved from tmobile to verizon because I had zero coverage on 51st floor at work... Verizon has full bars and i have coverage wherever I go

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albert1735 View Post
    I stay because I get the best bang for the buck. I pay $50 (part of a family plan) and basically have the Feb UDP. The only thing I kind of dislike is the video throttling. But then I just use Tunnel Bear and a button solves the problem. Other than the features, they have the best overall network where I go. Best density, coverage, speed in the city and reliability (most important to me) so why not?
    That sounds like a great idea, using Tunnelbear to get around video throttling limit. I wonder if it works on tether/hotspot limit too? Because it is really no carrier's business what someone does with the data they buy, as long as the usage is legal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I'd say 1-2 years at the rate they are going. Rapid 600 MHz expansion will occur between now and 2020.
    Yeah, Lil Magenta seems to be running ahead of schedule.

Big Red has long had a big coverage advantage in the US, and within a couple of years that will be gone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post

Big Red has long had a big coverage advantage in the US, and within a couple of years that will be gone.
    That’s all up to Verizon. Since they are currently ahead with rural coverage if they decide to keep pushing them they can maintain their lead. Their are still areas they can expand coverage in but honestly it’s all relative to where you live. The carrier may cover 99% of the population but in reality people would be lucky if they travel through 1% of that coverage area. I hope t-mobile does well with their 600 MHz expansion but coverage in Wyoming means nothing to me when I live in western PA so as stated it’s all relative.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think it's overly optimistic to think T-mobile will catch up to Verizon in a couple years. this has been said for many years and it hasn't happened yet. I used to use T-mo years ago and really liked the call clarity and cheap plans not to mention the GSM phone sim swapping capability which I used alot. Buying phones only available overseas was cool back then. But fast forward to the present and their coverage is still crap once you leave the main cities and highways. I used to hate having a worthless phone far to often when I travelled with T-mo. I don't think it is cost effective for them to install coverage in the boonie areas. Unless technology changes to push signals alot farther negating the need for more towers I don't ever see Verizon losing the coverage king title. Even AT&T can't catch them. And with CDMA becoming a thing of the past soon enough Verizon will continue to rule. In the West where I spend all my time Verizon's native coverage is everywhere. As always depending on where you are in the USA YMMV. Just use what works.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Running ahead of schedule? Did you see how many 600 MHz areas they postponed that were supposed to be deployed by Q4 2017?
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    Unless technology changes to push signals alot farther negating the need for more towers
    If only we could amend the laws of physics.

Feedback Score
    That sounds like a great idea, using Tunnelbear to get around video throttling limit. I wonder if it works on tether/hotspot limit too?
    Using a VPN avoids the video throttle but it doesn't avoid the tether cap unless you have a rootable device and can edit the build.prop file.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...-15gb-t3702942

But if you are tethering a PC, you can avoid it without root.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ver...ottle-t3680542

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    For the IoT devices, I think they may keep CDMA. But not for phones. From all I have read, Verizon is going to stop allowing you to use phones on prepaid and MVNOs that don't have VoLTE capability starting this summer. And then at some later point, kick them off of postpaid too, likely when any financing contracts for those phones have finished.

IIRC by 2015 most phones were VoLTE capable but they were probably still selling older stock too so maybe by the end of this year most of the financing contracts on non-VoLTE phones will be finished and they can apply the policy to postpaid too. My guess is that they will offer a free VoLTE capable replacement phone to anyone on postpaid who has a non-VoLTE phone on a line.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score

They can buy all the spectrum they want, but at some point, they'll need to put up NEW towers and get co-sharing agreements to put their transmitters on other towers to remotely come close to Verizon's geographical footprint, or AT&Ts for that matter. It will be great if they do but otherwise, it's just talk.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is putting up towers also, it's just that adding required equipment is faster. Every time I look I see community after community fighting new tmobile towers so they are definitely hitting things on all fronts

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Anyone who thinks 600 MHz is going to be some magic band aid that puts T-Mobile anywhere near the level of Verizon or AT&T in terms of coverage/coverage depth (the amount of panels per sector AT&T/Verizon use and the fact that they sometimes have 2-3 macros with 700/850 MHz to 1 T-Mobile 700 MHz macro) is delusional. Painting a map pink is nice, but having actual useable coverage that doesn’t fringe out between cells is what matters. That’s why I have AT&T, which seems to be how Verizon is in many areas.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast