Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Why do you all stay with Verizon

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

This is why. I am visiting here in rural OH and here’s my speed-test in the house I’m staying at. 3 bars. Plus service everywhere I go. Meanwhile, Sprint has one bar of 1x and TMobile has no service. I’m not sure about AT&T. Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1516379371.250439.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  38.4 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    There are still areas with no service from any carrier. I've got a few within a 1 hour drive. It's rare, but they're out there. Yeah, sure, if they want to slap up some new macros, that's great. But keep in mind, a lot of those areas don't have macros because it's almost impossible to put one there (no fiber anywhere, no revenue to support it, etc). It just seems like keeping 1x around is the path of least resistance to not losing any service area. It doesn't need to be able to handle very many calls, at all.
    Yeah those spots exist anywhere there's mountains. I found a valley about 15-20 miles SW of Nashville with no service from any carrier. In Colorado there's miles and miles of no service, usually in National forests.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Yeah those spots exist anywhere there's mountains. I found a valley about 15-20 miles SW of Nashville with no service from any carrier. In Colorado there's miles and miles of no service, usually in National forests.
    I'm not even counting the national parks. I just assume those won't have service over large areas. I guess my point in bringing that up is that we've got enough of those areas already. I have to assume they aren't going to slap up a few thousand more macros nationwide to cover all the areas that will be lost if 1x goes away. So our national footprint for cellular service would just get smaller. And that makes me a little sad.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I'm not even counting the national parks. I just assume those won't have service over large areas. I guess my point in bringing that up is that we've got enough of those areas already. I have to assume they aren't going to slap up a few thousand more macros nationwide to cover all the areas that will be lost if 1x goes away. So our national footprint for cellular service would just get smaller. And that makes me a little sad.
    I meant national forest, in Colorado there is major highways that pass through these areas so there's no service for easily 20 miles in spots. IDK what they'll do when they shut 1x down but I can't imagine they'll leave everything hanging. Surely when they shut it down someone somewhere will come out of the woodwork saying it was their only form of service in some small one horse town and was their lifeline.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I meant national forest, in Colorado there is major highways that pass through these areas so there's no service for easily 20 miles in spots. IDK what they'll do when they shut 1x down but I can't imagine they'll leave everything hanging. Surely when they shut it down someone somewhere will come out of the woodwork saying it was their only form of service in some small one horse town and was their lifeline.
    I sure hope so. Perhaps the outrage bandwagon will apply some pressure to fill in the gaps.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser View Post
    T-Mobile's coverage in WI overall has been pretty lacking outside of populated areas. However, they are adding coverage in northern WI with their 600Mhz spectrum. Based on their plans for new spectrum rollout, they should have statewide coverage in 2-3 years.

I notice on Sensorly, that there is some coverage between Madison and the Dells along highway 12 now and good coverage in the Dells now. Your friend should definitely see a difference if you go that way this year.
    I talked to my friend who has T-Mobile today and he mentioned that he is now starting to see roaming being available from US cellular. I realize it will be a bit of time before the 600 MHz Spectrum can be fully utilized so I am at least glad to hear that they are getting at least a better option for roaming until then.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I went to Verizon prepaid because they worked after the hurricanes we had in Florida. My Mother was in the hospital and I needed a cheap phone that would work. I ended up getting a Motorola G4 play for $20 and a $40 plan. I had service that work around the area while T-Mobile was fixing the towers. I ended up the hospital a month later and my family separated from my plan. Instead of paying the bill I reactivated my Verizon prepaid line and ported my number out of TMobile. I miss my T-Mobile Tuesday app the most. The Motorola G4 play is the best cheap phone I have ever used.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    samsung captivate
    Carrier(s)
    att pay as you go
    Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I have Verizon and att. I'm running Verizon on an s8+ and att on a native voice and text enable Galaxy tab E I have installed in my Yukon Denali and when I'm playing YouTube on the tab it skips and buffers with a low signal. In the same area Verizon is stronger with more bars. It's a no brainier

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Some of the folks reading this thread are likely thinking 'those Verizon dudes don't even look at T-Mobile' or haven't checked T-Mobile since they've made massive improvements and have old information about their coverage.

In my case it isn't that. And certainly the day T-Mobile has better coverage here in Oregon I'll switch (unless someone else has better coverage, then I'll switch to them instead).

So for me, it really is *that* simple. i.e. who has best coverage where I live and work and spend most of my time. And on that scale, here in Oregon, T-Mobile ranks a distant 4th (behind Verizon, ATT and Sprint).

BTW: I realize it all varies by location.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is getting better but it doesn't seem like they have caught up in rural coverage to Verizon just yet. They should get there eventually

Feedback Score
    They will catch up in another 5 to 10 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    They will catch up in another 5 to 10 years.
    I'd say 1-2 years at the rate they are going. Rapid 600 MHz expansion will occur between now and 2020.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    It cannot happen because of the NIMBY problem.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    It cannot happen because of the NIMBY problem.
    I disagree. Just adding 600 to existing towers will help enormously. There are plenty of towers in the country they can colocate on. I just got back from Howard OH. We stayed with family who live in a large lakeside neighborhood in the middle of nowhere. There are 100’s of homes and thousands of people living there and the largest town is about 10 miles to the west. The rest of the area is Amish and farm country. There are 4 towers around the neighborhood and TMobile is not on a single on of those towers and are the only carrier without service there. If TMobile had 600 equipment on just one of those towers they’d cover the area well. Everyone carries AT&T or Verizon. Sprint has 1900 on one tower but that doesn’t cut it.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim View Post
    I disagree. Just adding 600 to existing towers will help enormously. There are plenty of towers in the country they can colocate on. I just got back from Howard OH. We stayed with family who live in a large lakeside neighborhood in the middle of nowhere. There are 100’s of homes and thousands of people living there and the largest town is about 10 miles to the west. The rest of the area is Amish and farm country. There are 4 towers around the neighborhood and TMobile is not on a single on of those towers and are the only carrier without service there. If TMobile had 600 equipment on just one of those towers they’d cover the area well. Everyone carries AT&T or Verizon. Sprint has 1900 on one tower but that doesn’t cut it.
    Adding 600 MHz onto one tower isn’t “problem solved.” The way to address this issue is to build more sites. A lot of sites across the US are already full, and have no space left. This is especially the case in rural areas.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast