Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain System

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    ... I’m with a Telus and I can access all Bell-installed indoor sites here in Ontario.
    I’m with TELUS too and have excellent reception everywhere in the Pickering Town Centre. My girlfriend with Chatr (Rogers towers) usually has poor reception to even no reception at all (“Emergency calls only”)!

How do I tell if Bell has a DAS at the Pickering Town Centre? I looked at https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html and it says the Bell tower “on the roof” has transceivers at a height of 3 m and 90 m elevation. The Bell tower across the street on a condo building has transceivers at 35.8 m height and also 90 m elevation. So the only 3 m height at the Pickering Town Centre means it is a DAS?
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain...

Yes, antenna height (and transmit power) will give you a good indication of whether a site is indoor DAS or outdoor macro...although I wouldn’t trust the transmit power data on that map...the last map refresh shows very abnormal power levels for nearly all sites. It appears the Pickering Town Centre has a Bell DAS. Rogers does not have one and the outdoor Rogers towers are too far away to provide adequate coverage inside the mall so it’s no surprise your girlfriend has poor reception with Chatr (Rogers). And this is exactly my point. If you have time to kill, browse thru that map and take a look at a fair amount of indoor public venues (like malls) in Southern Ontario (GTA and around). You will see a Bell DAS in almost all of them and hardly any Rogers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @toolcube, thanks for your help! I took your advice and looked at a few malls in Scarborough and they all have a Bell tower “on the roof” with azimuth of “Omni”. Does that also indicate it’s a Bell DAS?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
    That'd be weird because I don't think Bell customers can use the Telus indoor repeaters.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    This is not true. Toolcube is right. They share the entire RAN, except band 30. Whether the radios are installed indoors or outdoors has no impact on the sharing.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    @toolcube, thanks for your help! I took your advice and looked at a few malls in Scarborough and they all have a Bell tower “on the roof” with azimuth of “Omni”. Does that also indicate it’s a Bell DAS?
    Not necessarily. DAS should be indoor only and not sites mounted on building rooftops, although the map could show DAS and rooftop outdoor antennas in the same location if the building has both. “Omni” could be DAS especially if the height looks accurate as I don’t believe there are many omni-directional outdoor antenna except in rural areas.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Not necessarily. DAS should be indoor only and not sites mounted on building rooftops, although the map could show DAS and rooftop outdoor antennas in the same location if the building has both. “Omni” could be DAS especially if the height looks accurate as I don’t believe there are many omni-directional outdoor antenna except in rural areas.
    By “on the roof” I really meant as shown by the location marker since the marker isn’t 3D although some buildings are (especially downtown).

The one exception was the Scarborough Town Centre (STC) where Rogers seems to have a rare DAS (height of 0 m and Omni) vs. Bell (height of 15 m and Omni). All the other Bell Omni towers I saw in Scarborough and downtown Toronto (e.g. Eaton Centre) have a height of 3 to 6 m. So 15 m for Bell would indicate it’s on the roof of the STC vs. 0 m for Rogers would mean it’s a DAS in the STC?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Well 15m could still be an indoor DAS especially if it says “omni”...it’s really how the data is fed into the Industry Canada database from the provider.

Feedback Score
    I just took the evegreen extension today and had 4 bars LTE! Nice to be able to browse while on the sky train.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE>3g View Post
    Very different in Bc. Using this https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html if you search up 10153 King George Blvd, Surrey, BC V3T 2W1 shopping centre has horrible coverage indoors with telus but rogers works fine. Even though telus has a tower right outside. This one frustrated me the most, this location is Vancouver's famous shopping centre and telus sucks in there, no towers 701 W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5. Telus/rogers are good at this mall 5000 Canoe Pass Way, Delta, BC V4M 0B3, however the only difference is telus added a DAS system while rogers added a tower on the top i believe.
    Rogers has a Tower on top or a DAS system in those locations. Telus has towers outside which don't provide as good coverage. The only place Telus has a DAS is Twassen Mills, but Rogers added a whole tower on top. Telus has so many micros in uneccasary places, so many redisdential areas but none in the whole west end?

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I just took the evegreen extension today and had 4 bars LTE! Nice to be able to browse while on the sky train.
    Yeah sometimes on the sky train it will drop to 2 bar LTE. But still better than no signal!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceclutch View Post
    Rogers has a Tower on top or a DAS system in those locations. Telus has towers outside which don't provide as good coverage. The only place Telus has a DAS is Twassen Mills, but Rogers added a whole tower on top. Telus has so many micros in uneccasary places, so many redisdential areas but none in the whole west end?
    As previously stated the ‘map’ you’re referencing isn’t working correctly. Many sites aren’t listed with the most recent update of the map. Usually it’s updated once a month. Check the map again after Jan 2nd should be the update.
    Where are you referencing Belus only has ‘One DAS’ ? Belus has more then 30+ of DAS within BC alone. Most airports (regardless of size), marinas, hospitals and malls. Telus provides ‘Maco’ sites in residential and high consumption areas via fibre backhaul to the network 10-15 macros in an area each individually connected vs Rogers ‘low band’ stretching 4-6 anennas with several sectors with one backhaul connection to their network (often not even fibre)

Feedback Score
    I think with the press and Belus customers complaining this will be on the horizon for Belus. 6-12 months from now I suspect. Not sure why they took the Canada line contract (I think more to do with Bell for Vancouver 2010 sponsorship) than Telus was interested at the time but due to Telus having the spectrum and bell not, Telus was Persuaded/Massaged by bell lol

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayaguy View Post
    As previously stated the ‘map’ you’re referencing isn’t working correctly. Many sites aren’t listed with the most recent update of the map. Usually it’s updated once a month. Check the map again after Jan 2nd should be the update.
    Where are you referencing Belus only has ‘One DAS’ ? Belus has more then 30+ of DAS within BC alone. Most airports (regardless of size), marinas, hospitals and malls. Telus provides ‘Maco’ sites in residential and high consumption areas via fibre backhaul to the network 10-15 macros in an area each individually connected vs Rogers ‘low band’ stretching 4-6 anennas with several sectors with one backhaul connection to their network (often not even fibre)
    I said one DAS at Twassen mills. Obviously not the entire province. If you look at the places the other user was mentioning it has no Telus DAS but has Rogers. Not sure why your assuming I'm talking about BC even though I quoted the comment mentioning the locations. Point get across if you've been inside the places mentioned you will consistently find better indoor coverage with Rogers. I can't say for you since I don't know where your from.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayaguy View Post
    I think with the press and Belus customers complaining this will be on the horizon for Belus. 6-12 months from now I suspect. Not sure why they took the Canada line contract (I think more to do with Bell for Vancouver 2010 sponsorship) than Telus was interested at the time but due to Telus having the spectrum and bell not, Telus was Persuaded/Massaged by bell lol
    I see that happening since Rogers said they have room for 3 more carriers. I'm sure Belus has already started talks with Rogers.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Well I just looked at @Cayaguy post history and you were mentioning Telus has better coverage than Rogers at sky trains in Vancouver. Don't understand why you are fanboying Belus so much. If you lived in metro Vancouver you would know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast