Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain System

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain System

“Concluding a project that kicked off in the summer of 2016, Rogers and TransLink have announced that Rogers and Fido customers can now receive seamless wireless coverage across the full Vancouver SkyTrain system. The project was complete with an installation this week in the 2.5km Burquitlam Tunnel on the Evergreen Extension of the Millennium Line. LTE and voice access expansion was previously completed in the Dunsmuir, Edmonds and Columbia tunnels. With the expansion, Rogers and Fido customers will no longer lose service in tunnels during their commute. “We’re pleased to have worked with Rogers to bring LTE connectivity to all of the Expo and Millennium line tunnels, which ensures Rogers and Fido customers can experience the convenience that consistent connectivity affords, and all passengers – regardless of carrier – have the safety and security of dialing 911 on their devices,” said Derrick Cheung, vice-president of strategic sourcing and real estate for TransLink, in a press statement. According to statistics provided by TransLink, there are more than 1.2 million boardings across its integrated transit network each day.”

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/28/rogers-fido-wireless-access-vancouver-full-skytrain-system/

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 LE
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    All carriers should have reception since it's a public service.
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_mitch View Post
    All carriers should have reception since it's a public service.
    They should. Rogers has said they still have room for 3 more carriers, they just have to negotiate with Rogers since they own the equipment.

Feedback Score
    Its funny Telus hasn't done anything in their home market

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain...

It is funny! So Telus neglects their home market in Vancouver and Rogers neglects their home market in Toronto! They swapped territories for where they’re strongest! Lol

Feedback Score
    I went from Fido to pm and was so surprised Telus did not have coverage here at skytrains. I also struggled with indoor coverage. I’m back on Fido now with the $60 10gb plan. I always thought Telus had better network, I guess not in Vancouver. I even talked to the Wirlesswave guys and they all recommended Rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Fido customers now have wireless access across Vancouver full SkyTrain...

Go with whichever carrier works best for you I guess.

One thing about strategies for indoor coverage that I’ve noticed between Rogers and Bellus here in Southern Ontario is that Rogers seems to have low band LTE on more of their sites than Bellus does. Having said that, Bell has indoor DAS in far more places than Rogers. Virtually every airport, shopping mall, hospital, etc (even IKEA stores here!) all have indoor Bell DAS systems. There are only a handful of shopping malls and hospitals where Rogers has them. I think Rogers banks on using their low band LTE on their outdoor macro sites for indoor signal coverage. Around here, Bellus performs much better indoors than Rogers does. Perhaps it’s different/opposite in BC...

I was actually really surprised to see my wife’s Rogers phone switch to EDGE (yes, you read that right) in some shopping malls (e.g. certain sections of Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket, Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill, and Devonshire in Windsor). I had full LTE signal in all those locations with Telus.

Feedback Score
    Very different in Bc. Using this https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html if you search up 10153 King George Blvd, Surrey, BC V3T 2W1 shopping centre has horrible coverage indoors with telus but rogers works fine. Even though telus has a tower right outside. This one frustrated me the most, this location is Vancouver's famous shopping centre and telus sucks in there, no towers 701 W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5. Telus/rogers are good at this mall 5000 Canoe Pass Way, Delta, BC V4M 0B3, however the only difference is telus added a DAS system while rogers added a tower on the top i believe.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Ahhh. I wonder if Bell is more aggressive with deploying DAS and small cells than Telus is? I have to say, the strong reliable Bellus signal (including indoors) around here is outstanding.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Looking at the tower map of downtown Vancouver, it does seem odd that Telus seems to be completely absent in the west end of the downtown area, when Rogers and Freedom have like 6-8 macros. And even looking at Gastown and Granville Island, Rogers seems to be denser. The number of towers doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, but it is strange especially considering how heavily Telus deployed microcells in a number of residental areas in the lower mainland. Rogers also seems to have BC place blanketed, again without Telus (unless its shared there?)

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I believe they are shared at bc place and Rogers arena next door

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE>3g View Post
    I even talked to the Wirlesswave guys and they all recommended Rogers.
    I suspect that might be just because Rogers pays more. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and when my dad went to the mall asking which carrier has the best coverage, they answered Fido. I think Telus has the better network here.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
    I suspect that might be just because Rogers pays more. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and when my dad went to the mall asking which carrier has the best coverage, they answered Fido. I think Telus has the better network here.

For me they always say bell. I even asked between Telus which owns the towers in the west and they said bell. Every single time it's bell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceclutch View Post
    For me they always say bell. I even asked between Telus which owns the towers in the west and they said bell. Every single time it's bell.
    That'd be weird because I don't think Bell customers can use the Telus indoor repeaters.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
    That'd be weird because I don't think Bell customers can use the Telus indoor repeaters.
    They should be able to. I’m assuming by “indoor repeaters” you’re referring to micro sites/DAS? If so, then yes they would have access. Whether the DAS is installed by Bell or Telus, all Bellus customers will have access to it, just as they do with the macro sites (i.e. outdoor towers). Think of the indoor sites are extensions to the network. Outdoor or indoor...it doesn’t matter...it’s all one single shared Bellus RAN. To provide real world proof, I’m with a Telus and I can access all Bell-installed indoor sites here in Ontario.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast