Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bell coverage map - no extended?

Feedback Score

Question Bell coverage map - no extended?

Hi,

How come Rogers coverage map shows the extended regions while Bell's does not, doesn't Bell have access to Rogers in certain regions as per CRTC mandate?

Take White River Ontario for example - covered by Rogers but not on either of Bell / Telus' coverage maps.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Maybe you didn’t check the extended or ‘roaming’ box.

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Does Bell ever roam on Rogers?
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I think the only region where Bellus had access to EXT was in Manitoba when it was operated by MTS/Rogers. Now that Bell has taken over MTS, there's no need for EXT obviously...in fact, Telus even removed the "EXT" option from the network coverage map section of their website.
    EXT for Bellus is pointless since their native network covers more than Rogers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    EXT for Bellus is pointless since their native network covers more than Rogers.
    But you forgot the OP’s example of White River, ON that has no Bellus coverage according to both the TELUS and Bell coverage maps, but does have coverage according to the Rogers coverage map.
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    There are locations that are only covered by Rogers (no Bellus) and locations that are only covered by Bellus (no Rogers). In my experience (having used all of the big 3 carriers over the past many years), I found that there are FAR MORE areas covered by Bellus but not Rogers...and many of these areas do not allow EXT for Rogers customers. It would be nice for EXT to work wherever the user's carrier doesn't have service but the competitor does...unfortunately that's not the way any carrier had planned to implement it. So in the OP's example, that's just ONE location, and I'm sure there are others. But there are likely many more locations where Bellus works and Rogers doesn't, and Rogers doesn't allow EXT...there are several such locations right here in Southern Ontario. So my point is that while the CRTC mandated domestic roaming agreements between all of Canada's national carriers, the carriers' implementations of said roaming access (i.e. EXT coverage) is not consistent, is not perfect, and in my opinion is not the way it was intended by the CRTC. I would love for EXT to work everywhere by every carrier to level-off the coverage playing field so that carriers can focus on competing for their customers' business on price, value, etc. Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    White River, and the stretch of Trans Canada from past Wawa to before Marathon is Bellus' biggest coverage hole comparatively. I think it may be a factor of TBaytel/Rogers RAN sharing and Bell not having any licences for 850 MHz out there. For safety reasons, there should be at least some EXT roaming on Rogers in this LAC. I guess we have to assume Bellus doesn't want to bother given that Rogers does have to provide bulk rate roaming per the CRTC, IIRC (if either of Bellus so chose). When I was last there, Rogers is only running 5mhz channels of HSPA, so speeds aren't anything great (though I could use YouTube etc, call quality was a little painful), and tower spacing was large so there are some gaps (but definitely better than nothing). It was nice to know I had service, Bellus folks I was with were surprised.

At the end of the day, Rogers does need EXT more than Bellus, but I can't see why it should preclude Bellus providing something here for customers. IMO if you're on the road alot, I would say it's a slight selling point for Rogers because in most rural areas you will have access to both networks.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I agree the big 3 should all have ext since my friend on Telus gets no service indoors at a certain area and I do. However one area I don’t get coverage and he does expect it connects me to fido ext. Ext is flawless here in Bc. You can manually connect even in Vancouver if you wanted, but you shouldn’t since most usage needs to happen on Fido/Rogers network. However it’s really useful. Rogers/Fido are the only ones with sky train coverage in Vancouver so Telus customers can only use their phones to dial 911, ext would be nice for them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    White River, and the stretch of Trans Canada from past Wawa to before Marathon is Bellus' biggest coverage hole comparatively. I think it may be a factor of TBaytel/Rogers RAN sharing and Bell not having any licences for 850 MHz out there. For safety reasons, there should be at least some EXT roaming on Rogers in this LAC. I guess we have to assume Bellus doesn't want to bother given that Rogers does have to provide bulk rate roaming per the CRTC, IIRC (if either of Bellus so chose). When I was last there, Rogers is only running 5mhz channels of HSPA, so speeds aren't anything great (though I could use YouTube etc, call quality was a little painful), and tower spacing was large so there are some gaps (but definitely better than nothing). It was nice to know I had service, Bellus folks I was with were surprised.

At the end of the day, Rogers does need EXT more than Bellus, but I can't see why it should preclude Bellus providing something here for customers. IMO if you're on the road alot, I would say it's a slight selling point for Rogers because in most rural areas you will have access to both networks.
    You have a point which is valid. Telus has more coverage but Rogers also has exclusive zones. But ext works everywhere for Rogers customers Ext also works in south Ontario even if it does not show ext on there online map from what I’ve seen on the Toronto Reddit. I think @toolcube hasn’t used Rogers in a while since the ext has massively improved. I think ext is really trustworthy and people overrate the difference between belus and Rogers. Belus will always be better since it’s two companies. Even if Rogers spends 1.1billion next year it will be hard to match belus spending but they don’t have too With Ext.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Bell coverage map - no extended?

I use Rogers almost on a daily basis. My wife has Rogers so I get to play around with her phone almost all the time, and I get to compare it with my Telus service. Nowhere around here (GTA and areas north of it in Southern Ontario) can access EXT with Rogers...her phone just goes into “no service”...can’t even manually connect.

And where Rogers LTE signal is strong around here, the quality is not the same as Bellus. I can have fewer “bars” on my Telus phone (e.g. 2 out of 4 and the Rogers phone has full 4 out of 4) yet my speeds with Telus are still almost double my wife’s with Rogers. Her signal also tends to jump around a lot, even when standing in the same location and close to a Rogers tower. My Telus experience just feels so much more solid and reliable.
    Last edited by toolcube; 12-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm using my TMOBILE service to roam on both Bell/Telus and Rogers in Northern Ontario. Highway 108 is better on Rogers, and in Elliot Lake, service is stronger even through its on band 4 Rogers vs band 2 Bell/Telus.
    Its been a long time since I have been to White River, but I think some of that extended/roaming isn't listed as it is TBaytel and its also 3G HSPA+... No LTE.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by formercanuck; 12-29-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I'm using my TMOBILE service to roam on both Bell/Telus and Rogers in Northern Ontario. Highway 108 is better on Rogers, and in Elliot Lake, service is stronger even through its on band 4 Rogers vs band 2 Bell/Telus.
    Its been a long time since I have been to White River, but I think some of that extended/roaming isn't listed as it is TBaytel and its also 3G HSPA+... No LTE.

Seems as if your better off choosing Rogers if you travel a lot. For example white river is Rogers only however if you go on the 11 North of white river its bell towers only expect for the fact ext is available there. The closest example I can give in Bc is only Telus has coverage on Coquihilla hwy but ext is available. But if you go to new aiynash it's Rogers only and belus customers get no service.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Since my carrier is TMobile... I can pick whatever it lets me use. Its a little stubborn with Rogers, and typically forces me to Telus or Bell. I've forced one to Rogers (LG g6) and the other to Bell (Moto X Pure) for mapping.

Feedback Score
    Bell and tbaytel have an agreement in place for roaming in that area, Bell has chosen not to enable the ext coverage.

Just as tbaytel has an agreement for their customers to use Bell’s network but they are only allowing company and employee owned devices to access Bell’s ext coverage.
    Knowledge is power.

Feedback Score

Bell coverage map - no extended?

The world sees tbaytel as Rogers because tbaytel shutdown their HSPA switch and moved all their traffic to Rogers. It was cheaper than purchasing their own LTE switch.

Most of the towers (some are shared Bell and CBC sites) equipment, backhaul and the majority of the spectrum is owned by tbaytel. They do lease some 850Mhz from Rogers and some 700MHz from Eastlink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast