Thread: Red Pocket Mobile auto pay is a nightmare

Feedback Score

Red Pocket Mobile auto pay is a nightmare

I ordered a month's service from Red Pocket in November 2017. However the SIM card did not work in my phone. I immediately called to cancel service. The representative agreed to cancel the service and to refund my credit card. And the refund came through OK.

One month later my nightmare began. The agent had forgotten to also cancel my auto pay. Another charge appeared on my credit card. I phoned, the agent apologized, arranged a refund, and assured me the auto pay would be cancelled and all would be well.

The next day, along with my refund email, I received emails for three separate further charges. Since then, I have received a new charge per day for the past 11 days! Each time I phone, the agent is sympathetic, apologetic, arranges a refund and ASSURES me that no further auto payment charges will occur....and STILL THEY DO! They will not transfer me to a supervisor.

I'm at my wit's end trying to put an end to this. They have assured me many times that they have 'escalated' the problem to the technical department. I have left a call back number several times asking someone to call me. No-one calls.

Apparently VISA can only dispute posted charges. They cannot put a stop on them coming in.

All I can say to anyone considering going with Red Pocket Mobile is: NEVER, EVER SIGN UP FOR AUTO PAY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why haven't you cancelled your credit card? That puts an immediate stop to this kind of be.

Feedback Score

Replace with old canceled credit card

Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    Why haven't you cancelled your credit card? That puts an immediate stop to this kind of be.
    There was no way to turn off autopay on their site, so I googled the issue and got to this forum. Sure glad I did. I didn't want to cancel the card I used as I use it for other things, but did find an old card I had that had been cancelled and changed the autopay mechanism in the online profile. Hopefully that will work, and they won't do something like use the prior payment mechanism!

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to sign up with a service that requires autopay, or a debit/cc on file.

I stumbled into signing up for a $5/mo plan at Hello Mobile because it gave so much for so little. 500 mins/mo, unlimited texting, 500mb/mo. Very tempting. It allows the payment monthly, rather than 60/year like with Red Pocket's eBay plan. Then when I ordered the SIM, they said the line had to be activated before shipping. When it was activated, minutes began to be deducted from the talk balance. A long string of numbers was on the phone records in the usage section of the account. I called the number and my number appeared on the records. Voicemail had been activated and it was being charged as an answered call each time someone called the number, but the SIM hadn't left the warehouse. I tried to reach customer service and no luck (weekend) so I tried to remove my debit as form of payment, concerned about what sort of company it was. Couldn't remove the debit without adding another card. Tried to put a low balance debit on to save the other, and it still couldn't be removed. The second debit could be removed but not the first one.

On Monday I called to cancel the account and the CSR told me that I had to have a card on file, that I couldn't remove one without adding another. If not for that, I might have tried them. They said they'd void the payment and refund it (haven't gotten it back yet) and I hope they don't start charging me again. As was stated, nightmare.

Someone suggested I cancel my debit card and get it replaced. That's a possibility. A hassle but better than getting ripped.

There's another possibility, and I wonder if anyone is using the method. Buy a prepaid card and put limited funds on it to use for autopay on phone plans that require it. Then they can't get your main cards involved. I haven't tried it, but maybe someone would know if it works. A prepaid Visa or MC.

I was going to try Red Pocket when I saw Hello Mobile and was tempted. Glad to learn before trying RP that their system may not be much better. I think the yearly plan I was going to try is renewed once yearly, by buying another year on eBay. However if a person wants to buy extra minutes, data, etc I wonder if they have to keep their cc/dc on file.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I think the yearly plan I was going to try is renewed once yearly, by buying another year on eBay. However if a person wants to buy extra minutes, data, etc I wonder if they have to keep their cc/dc on file.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app
    They do not require a number on file for top ups. I have to enter my card info every time I need to add texts to my wife's plan.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score
    I initially joined this forum to express my frustration at Red Pocket's so-called "Family Plan" which relies on their Automatic Payment system.

It took about a year to get it working somewhat close to how the ad copy on the site explained it should.