Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid WiFi calling

Feedback Score
    Come on you want WiFi/Lte calling just go to a carrier that provides it or get a Google Voice number and enroll in the GoogleVoice Beta that provides WiFi/LTE calling. The call quality is way better than ATT's voice service.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by junk_jim View Post
    Come on you want WiFi/Lte calling just go to a carrier that provides it or get a Google Voice number and enroll in the GoogleVoice Beta that provides WiFi/LTE calling. The call quality is way better than ATT's voice service.
    It’s not that simple when you live in the woods. AT&T by far has the best coverage where I live. My mother in law lives on the same property in a separate house, which is in a low spot and has a metal roof. Coverage inside her house severely sucks. We do have acres of really good WiFi coverage with 2 separate ISPs so WiFi calling with AT&T would be perfect. If you can teach my mother in law how to use google voice and still retain your sanity I’ll buy you a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If AT&T Prepaid had Wi-Fi calling, some customers could use the telephone an entire year for $100 with $0.25 per minute or $2.00 per day where Wi-Fi is not available.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    It’s not that simple when you live in the woods. AT&T by far has the best coverage where I live. My mother in law lives on the same property in a separate house, which is in a low spot and has a metal roof. Coverage inside her house severely sucks. We do have acres of really good WiFi coverage with 2 separate ISPs so WiFi calling with AT&T would be perfect. If you can teach my mother in law how to use google voice and still retain your sanity I’ll buy you a beer.

It might pay for you to bite the bullet, and go with ATT Post-Paid service, so you can have WiFi calling.

Or go with Cricket. They are of course ATT owned, use the native ATT towers/network, and they also have WiFi calling. If ATT works in your area, Cricket should also work.

Just some suggestions.
    Last edited by Silver Meteor; 08-24-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Meteor View Post
    It might pay for you to bite the bullet, and go with ATT Post-Paid service, so you can have WiFi calling.

Or go with Cricket. They are of course ATT owned, use the native ATT towers/network, and they also have WiFi calling. If ATT works in your area, Cricket should also work.

Just some suggestions.
    I have considered both AT&T would double what she’s paying or more. I had a really bad customer service experience with Cricket. That bridge is burned to a crisp for me, I may consider sending my mother in law there if I can find the right phone for her.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    I have considered both AT&T would double what she’s paying or more. I had a really bad customer service experience with Cricket. That bridge is burned to a crisp for me, I may consider sending my mother in law there if I can find the right phone for her.
    I completely understand bad customer experiences causing you to write companies off, but was it through a retailer/store? I've done all my account management online or through SIM kits purchased at Best Buy/Target/etc. and the few times I've called in to the main customer service number, it's been decent. It does kind of irk me that Cricket (and a handful of other carriers and prepaid services) are a little lax on incompetent or slimy authorized resellers.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    If AT&T Prepaid had Wi-Fi calling, some customers could use the telephone an entire year for $100 with $0.25 per minute or $2.00 per day where Wi-Fi is not available.
    Absolutely, you would not be using any ATT towers, etc. Anyone can do the same with Google Voice or other WIFI calling service. You pay ATT for access to towers and their backbone. If you are not using those, there's almost no cost to them. I had a cell phone for emergency calls on .25 per minute, in case WIFI was not available.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Prepaid WiFi calling

Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I completely understand bad customer experiences causing you to write companies off, but was it through a retailer/store? I've done all my account management online or through SIM kits purchased at Best Buy/Target/etc. and the few times I've called in to the main customer service number, it's been decent. It does kind of irk me that Cricket (and a handful of other carriers and prepaid services) are a little lax on incompetent or slimy authorized resellers.
    It was mostly over the phone and eventually email. Including one well over an hour call that resulted in me telling the manager they where thieves and liars. It’s really hard to get me that upset, I’m generally extremely patient.

In the end it was resolved by my bank when I disputed the charges. They discovered the refund Cricket insisted they gave me had a typo in the account number. Cricket refunded my money for the phone they charged me for and never shipped to someone else.

I was actually a very happy customer until things went very wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    Absolutely, you would not be using any ATT towers, etc.
    This is true, but the phone making WiFi calls has to registered on AT&T's network in order to make or receive calls. Once that happens, they could figure out you're making calls and could deduct them from your balance.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    With Wi-Fi calling you can make calls with devices without an active SIM card.

Device(s)
    H910 (AT&T V20)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PREPAID
    Feedback Score
    With Wi-Fi calling you can make calls with devices without an active SIM card.
    That's only with Skype, GoogleVoice , etc. Not through AT&T. When people are asking about WiFi calling they mean when they can seamlessly can use their AT&T services (calls, text) through WiFi in basement or in a hotel/cabin in the middle of nowhere without AT&T service.

WiFi services through other apps is a non issue and are not depended on AT&T.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The last poster gave me a though. Maybe just buy her a cheap phone to use on WiFi only. She can still take her carrier phone to other places to use but just use the WiFi phone at the house. Gvoice i believe isn't going to give 911 an address however.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    The only cell phone companies (of the top 4) that haven't done anything to make me upset were Verizon and T-Mobile. But 2 years ago T-Mobile didn't have good enough coverage for me to keep (I've since gone to having an inexpensive backup plan that would have handled that). And Verizon isn't good enough where I work to be happy with. So I'm on ATT even though their postpaid side upset me.

So maybe try Cricket again. $25/month for no data ($30 with 2GB) is probably a lot easier for someone to handle rather than worry about Wi-Fi Skyp plans. Especially if a call needs to be made in an emergency situation.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haris163 View Post
    That's only with Skype, GoogleVoice , etc. Not through AT&T. When people are asking about WiFi calling they mean when they can seamlessly can use their AT&T services (calls, text) through WiFi in basement or in a hotel/cabin in the middle of nowhere without AT&T service.

WiFi services through other apps is a non issue and are not depended on AT&T.

I answer calls on my old iPad Air 2 which no longer has an AT&T activated SIM card If it has the same Apple ID as the active device, it will work. With an iPad, there is no number pad but you can call numbers in your address book or return calls you have received. It uses the telephone number of the active telephone as the caller ID.

Device(s)
    H910 (AT&T V20)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PREPAID
    Feedback Score
    I answer calls on my old iPad Air 2 which no longer has an AT&T activated SIM card If it has the same Apple ID as the active device, it will work. With an iPad, there is no number pad but you can call numbers in your address book or return calls you have received. It uses the telephone number of the active telephone as the caller ID.
    It sounds like an Apple thing then.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast