Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid WiFi calling

Feedback Score

Prepaid WiFi calling

There is a report it’s now working on straight talk (through AT&T) does it work for anybody on prepaid yet?

Feedback Score
    Some IPhone on Cricket. Nothing yet for AT&T prepaid.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    H910 (AT&T V20)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PREPAID
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    There is a report it’s now working on straight talk (through AT&T) does it work for anybody on prepaid yet?
    Do you have a link?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Not yet... The notification changed. It used to say WiFi calling was not compatible with my service level. Now it says "WiFi calling is not yet available for ATT prepaid."... Something on the back end changed.

It makes me hopeful that it says, "yet"...

Feedback Score
    You’re right, mine used to say it’s not compatible with this account type, now it says: “WiFi Calling is not available yet for AT&T PREPAID℠.” Something is definitely cooking.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I hope we get it for christmas!

Feedback Score
    I hope this is true and it’s going been waiting for a while for this feature and I know others have too

Device(s)
    H910 (AT&T V20)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PREPAID
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    Not yet... The notification changed. It used to say WiFi calling was not compatible with my service level. Now it says "WiFi calling is not yet available for ATT prepaid."... Something on the back end changed.

It makes me hopeful that it says, "yet"...
    Thanks. That's definitely encouraging.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't hold your breath for it but it will certainly arrive some day in the near future.
    WiFi calling benefits AT&T because it reduces the load on their cell towers. They likely want it as much as people here do; my guess is they have backend systems or whatever other computer things that need to be updated/upgraded to enable WiFi calling on GoPhone. GoPhone has been around for so long that I would not be surprised if the backend system is fairly antiquated. I bet Cricket's newer systems actually allow them to move faster on changes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    U guys think this will work on Android too?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath for it but it will certainly arrive some day in the near future.
    WiFi calling benefits AT&T because it reduces the load on their cell towers. They likely want it as much as people here do; my guess is they have backend systems or whatever other computer things that need to be updated/upgraded to enable WiFi calling on GoPhone. GoPhone has been around for so long that I would not be surprised if the backend system is fairly antiquated. I bet Cricket's newer systems actually allow them to move faster on changes.
    I think this is most likely the case - AT&T Prepaid/GoPhone's systems date back to the Cingular days (and maybe some even before that), while Cricket's is maybe 2013 at the oldest (when Aio launched). I suspect this is why even for account management, AT&T Prepaid still isn't fully integrated with everything else AT&T (app kicks you to the web page, different logins, etc.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    AT&T post paid wireless offers WiFi calling. I am not buying the antiquated backend argument for prepaid when post paid uses the same system

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    AT&T post paid wireless offers WiFi calling. I am not buying the antiquated backend argument for prepaid when post paid uses the same system
    The account and feature provisioning is much different between the two. I'd venture to guess that with the rebrand away from GoPhone that AT&T is looking to make its in-house prepaid products more like postpaid in the future. Keep in mind that at this point, AT&T is treating things like VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling as "nice to have," rather than features that everyone would want. Only in the last couple of years (in the grand scheme of things) have they supported Wi-Fi calling on postpaid on non-iPhones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    The account and feature provisioning is much different between the two. I'd venture to guess that with the rebrand away from GoPhone that AT&T is looking to make its in-house prepaid products more like postpaid in the future. Keep in mind that at this point, AT&T is treating things like VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling as "nice to have," rather than features that everyone would want. Only in the last couple of years (in the grand scheme of things) have they supported Wi-Fi calling on postpaid on non-iPhones.
    Non IPhone equals about 4 high end Android devices. When is AT&T going to wake up?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    They don't use the same system. Postpaid uses an in-house system. Prepaid uses Ericsson's (https://www.ericsson.com/en) system.
    The paygonline.com site isn't run by AT&T, its run by Ericsson for them.

If you lookup the IP address for paygonline.com, it goes to 129.192.129.18.
    Whois info on that IP: https://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/129.192.129.18
    It shows Ericsson, not AT&T.

I also remember the old design for the paygonline.com site mentioned Ericsson.

Here's an old press release:
    https://www.ericsson.com/en/press-re...-paid-services

Bottom line, Prepaid and Postpaid are managed through different systems. Yes they share the same towers, the same routes for data, but ultimately how the accounts are provisioned, managed, and billed are through separate systems.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast