Thread: Preservation of Minutes, When Purchasing & Registering a Pre-owned Tracfone?

Feedback Score

Preservation of Minutes, When Purchasing & Registering a Pre-owned Tracfone?

I purchased a used LG840G Tracfone on eBay that is currently activated, has LOTS of minutes (four figures), and still has a month of service left on it. [The 840G is a late-2012 release, has a touchscreen, a semi-smart feature set, and a smartphone-like "look and feel", but is not a true smartphone as it lacks the Android OS. ]

The seller (who has 100% positive feedback) has stated that he is currently the registered owner of the phone, and that he is willing to assist, if I decide to pursue the idea of getting Tracfone to register the phone in my name, and roll the phone into my own Tracfone account.

- Does Tracfone process requests for registering a pre-owned Tracfone to a new owner, in a way that preserves the minutes and service interval, so that they are still useable by the new owner?

- Will the zipcode of the original purchaser, and the different zipcode where I live, be an issue?

- Will Tracfone protocol involve sending out a new SIM card with the change in ownership? If so, do they carry-over the old minutes, and insert those minutes into the new SIM card?

- To summarize, what is the best way for me to go about getting the phone registered in my name, without losing the minutes that are currently on the phone?

Thanks for your responses

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipR View Post
    1. Does Tracfone process requests for registering a pre-owned Tracfone to a new owner, in a way that preserves the minutes and service interval, so that they are still useable by the new owner?

2. Will the zipcode of the original purchaser, and the different zipcode where I live, be an issue?

3. Will Tracfone protocol involve sending out a new SIM card with the change in ownership? If so, do they carry-over the old minutes, and insert those minutes into the new SIM card?
    1. Ask the seller to remove the phone from his Tracfone account (but do not deactivate it). Once that's done, you can add it to your TF account and become its registered owner.

2. Your location is not a factor, unless there's no good coverage for that carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile) at your location. The current phone number assigned to it might not be a "local number" for your location.

3. If you request a new phone number for that phone, then TF will have to send you a new SIM because they don't re-use a GSM SIM. When you receive the new SIM, contact TF and they'll activate that SIM with a new phone number and transfer over the minutes/days. If you want to keep the same phone number it has now, you don't need a new SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have an 840g that was given to me used. Like the phone very much and just left the Cali phone # on it. It’s very portable due to its size.